Prius Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Prius Purchase Questions

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a new Prius. I finally had the chance to test drive one this evening. Fun little car.

My questions:

What is the story on the tax credit? I was being told that it was like $3K, but since Toyota sold so many cars, it is cut in half now? And is this money back on your taxes?

What kind of price should I be expecting? On a Prius that was MSRP for about 24K, I was looking right at $1K off? Sound about right, could I do better?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Prius Purchase Questions

Hi,
Originally Posted by z16marine
. . .
What is the story on the tax credit? I was being told that it was like $3K, but since Toyota sold so many cars, it is cut in half now? And is this money back on your taxes?

What kind of price should I be expecting? On a Prius that was MSRP for about 24K, I was looking right at $1K off? Sound about right, could I do better?
The tax 'credit' is half, $1.5k and it is a credit, not a deduction. Also, some states have tax incentives.

About 1k off works but prices are 'flexible.' One past poster suggested continuing to show some interest but get ready to call off the deal just before the end of the month . . . say Nov. 29th. Patience works.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Nut
Default Re: Prius Purchase Questions

I was just at Prestige Toyota in northern New Jersey and they had 3 Prii in stock. A couple of months ago, they had 1. So don't believe a dealer if they say they can't keep them in stock; those days are over -- sad to say.

I drive 50 miles each way to work, 500 miles a week. I've seen my gas costs go from $400 a month with my old guzzler to $125 a month. The extra $275 makes my car payment much more palatable!

One more thing, try negotiating the "out-the-door" price. That's the total cost you'll pay excluding your trade in and deposit. I found that I didn't have to worry about all the "document costs", "motor vehicle costs", etc. that were added on. Just make sure the bottom line of the contact is what they promise.