How often does your Prius Regen itself?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default How often does your Prius Regen itself?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I didnt see anything that answered my question.

I just got an o2 Prius and noticed that with the A/C off there is very little regen going on. By Regen I am referring to the MFD where it shows the gold diamonds which equate to 50 watts sent back to the batteries.

Being located in Florida, I do use the A/C alot and notice that sometimes, even when the AC is only coming on for a few seconds to maintain the temps, each 5 minute period on the display is showing anywhere from 25w to 75w being sent to the batteries in EACH 5 minute period.

It seems the batteries are good because I can go approximately 3 miles at times in EV mode only.

Soooo on one hand I feel the batteries are fit as can be, yet on the other hand, when I see all the regens happening, I do begin to wonder.

BTW, the battery charge level is FULL, all the way just beneath the positive and negative polarity signs of the batter indicator. That is FULL, correct?

Does anyone have the register I can poke into the scanguage to see the SOC of the batteries?

Anyone else notice a lot of regen?

Thanks
Tony

Old 11-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: How often does your Prius Regen itself?

Originally Posted by TonyK
. . .

Anyone else notice a lot of regen?
I avoid regen.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-15-2006, 03:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

[QUOTE=bwilson4web] I avoid regen.

How can one avoid regen? when battery power is used, it has to be replaced, right?

For a Prius rookie like me, is it normal to see soo many regen icons per 5 min intervals when using the a/c while hot out with auto temp set to about 75 degreees?

Just checkin if this is somewhat within the norm of others.

Tony

Old 11-15-2006, 05:28 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: How often does your Prius Regen itself?

Originally Posted by TonyK
Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I avoid regen.
How can one avoid regen? when battery power is used, it has to be replaced, right?

For a Prius rookie like me, is it normal to see soo many regen icons per 5 min intervals when using the a/c while hot out with auto temp set to about 75 degreees?

Just checkin if this is somewhat within the norm of others.
It means learning how to drive with a minimum amount of braking. For example, coasting, not braking down to a stop when practical. Route planning to avoid traffic helps because traffic often leads to braking and regeneration. I often complete my daily commute without any or only one regen diamond.

I have no problem with ICE recharge of the battery since that is part of the Prius high efficiency. But everytime we regenerate, we never get it all back. There are losses stuffing the batteries and losses pulling it out later. As much as possible, you want to preserve momentum and/or let gravity convert it to potential energy. My favorite 'regen' is to coast up a hill to a stop.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-15-2006 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:51 AM
Enthusiast

test

Old 11-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Bob,

I follow what you are saying, thanks.

I need to pay close attention to everything and keep notes for a while.

Tony