Looking to purchase 08 FEH FWD. Have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Enthusiast
Question Looking to purchase 08 FEH FWD. Have a few questions.

Hi All,

I sold the wife’s car last week and am looking to replace it with a 2008 FEH FWD. The local dealer has one with 60K miles for $14,900. It doesn’t have much in the way of options, but that’s ok, it will only be used to haul around my wife and young children (in car seats). For any big vehicle needs, we have a 4WD Excursion diesel. I’ve always performed my own vehicle maintenance on both gas and diesel engines but have absolutely zero experience with hybrids. I assume much of it is easy enough, once becoming familiar with the components.

Is there anything I should look out for or test prior to buying the car? We drove it for about 10 minutes last night in very cold temps (15-20F) and the ICE didn’t seem to ever shut off.

How do I “avoid the reds” with the climate control? It has the manual *****, but nothing to indicate if the **** is in the blue or red. What temperatures fall in the red range?

We live in southeastern pa and see a decent amount of snow. Since the vehicle isn’t for offroading, is FWD sufficient enough?

Last question, what maintenance should I perform immediately, assuming I purchase the vehicle? MECS pump, spark plugs, coolant, etc.?

Thank you for any help and I look forward to the forum! We were considering purchasing a 2005-06 Liberty diesel, but the wife really likes the Escape.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking to purchase 08 FEH FWD. Have a few questions.

Originally Posted by Moreboostplease
Hi All,

I sold the wife’s car last week and am looking to replace it with a 2008 FEH FWD. The local dealer has one with 60K miles for $14,900. It doesn’t have much in the way of options, but that’s ok, it will only be used to haul around my wife and young children (in car seats). For any big vehicle needs, we have a 4WD Excursion diesel. I’ve always performed my own vehicle maintenance on both gas and diesel engines but have absolutely zero experience with hybrids. I assume much of it is easy enough, once becoming familiar with the components.

Is there anything I should look out for or test prior to buying the car? We drove it for about 10 minutes last night in very cold temps (15-20F) and the ICE didn’t seem to ever shut off.

How do I “avoid the reds” with the climate control? It has the manual *****, but nothing to indicate if the **** is in the blue or red. What temperatures fall in the red range?

We live in southeastern pa and see a decent amount of snow. Since the vehicle isn’t for offroading, is FWD sufficient enough?

Last question, what maintenance should I perform immediately, assuming I purchase the vehicle? MECS pump, spark plugs, coolant, etc.?

Thank you for any help and I look forward to the forum! We were considering purchasing a 2005-06 Liberty diesel, but the wife really likes the Escape.
I have a 2008 AWD. By "red" for climate control I assume you mean that the engine is forced to run. On the 2008 and later the engine runs if you select the A/C or any defroster setting. If the A/C light is off, it is capable of shutting down the engine. However, on winter days, the battery has to be warmed up in order to go electric, and the engine and catalytic converter also have to be warned up. This means it won't turn off the engine nearly as much as in warmer weather. Many people install a battery heater, but it is touch and go as to if the battery on the 2008 still has the connectors. Take a look at the threads for battery heater.

I'm in LA, so we don't get a lot of cold!

EDIT: I'd take the FEH to a different dealer and have them check out the entire car.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking to purchase 08 FEH FWD. Have a few questions.

I'm in southwestern Pa. Items to look at/examine:
MCES pump-blend door issues-air conditioning coolant lines to hybrid battery pack, ABS tone rings, front end alignment from the factory may be "toe in" and this can be change but watch out for damaging those tone rings, does your vehicle have low rolling resistance tires, after five years the coolant should be changed out, does the vehicle have new brakes.

If the vehicle does not have heated seats, an aftermarket source can be utilized and this is a feature to enjoy during the colder months of the year.

In colder weather, your ICE will run more. Sitting outside in true cold winter weather (single digit F or lower) during an 8.5 hour work day results in a 20-24F drop in hybrid battery temperature. The hybrid battery will cycle between charging and discharging in an attempt to warm itself to near and above 60F. A lot of driving will be required to achieve normal hybrid battery temperature. In warmer weather, a "healthy" hybrid battery should provide about 1 mile of EV driving.

Hope this helps.