Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

For those of you looking for a good price, and good service (quick, no muss-no fuss) on the Toyota Extra Care Extended Warranty, Doug Bonczek at Toyota of Danville (doug.bonczek@toyotaofdanville.com, 877-442-8474) is a solid guy.

I've purchased a few through him, and the process was quick and easy each time.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Electricity Guzzler

my understanding is that Canadians can't buy their warranties in the states for their cars. The price for the warranties up here is ridiculous considering the near parity with the American Dollar.

They want over $2000 CAD for a Toyota ECP warranty (incl. 4 oil changes) - yippee!

has any Canucks bought one of these? tx

Old 04-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Got my TCH 2008 in December and would liketo lbuy the extended warranty now. Car has about 3200 miles on it...Is this a problem at this point? Do I still call those two listed dealers..Midwest and Tony in CT?? Anyone have their emails?? Thanks

Old 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by seaford
Got my TCH 2008 in December and would liketo lbuy the extended warranty now. Car has about 3200 miles on it...Is this a problem at this point? Do I still call those two listed dealers..Midwest and Tony in CT?? Anyone have their emails?? Thanks
No Problem.
It's "Troy" not Tony at Toyota of Greenfield.

Email: info@toyotaofgreenfield.com

Your warranty months started ticking back in December ad did your mileage when you took delivery of the car and not today when you purchase the warranty. Just so you know.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
No Problem.
It's "Troy" not Tony at Toyota of Greenfield.

Email: info@toyotaofgreenfield.com

Your warranty months started ticking back in December ad did your mileage when you took delivery of the car and not today when you purchase the warranty. Just so you know.
I realized I typed it wrong after I posted....
Thanks!!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok got $990 from Troy and from Midwest got $964 from John Routh. Any one deal with him from Midwest Toyota?????????(sent email to Mark, John answered)
Thanks

Old 04-06-2008, 03:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Maybe I'm thick headed, but I still don't get these extended warrantees.
Insurance, or extended warrantees are simply, you pay now, so you don't need to pay later.
The common rule of thumb is, if you can afford to replace it yourself, do so, since the cost of insurance usually is more than the expected returns (the odds of the event occurring multiplied by the cost of the event). Were it not this way, the insurance companies wouldn't sell it at the price that they do.
I have insurance on my house since I can't plunk down a few hundred thousand to replace it. That makes sense (and is required with a mortgage).
I never purchase car extended warrantees
Over the last, 27 years of new car ownership that my family has owned; starting with a 1984 Toyota Camry, 1988 Jeep Cherokee, 1990 (?) Plymouth Caravan, 1996 Toyota Avalon, 2001(?) Honda CRV, I've had very little, if any, expensive repair bills (not covered by the manufacturer's warranty). I believe I had to replace the Caravan's transmission, but that was about it.
Sure, there is a few $100 bills here and there, but if had to pay an average of $1000 (just guessing) for an extended warrantee on each of these cars, I would have spent $5000 to give me the piece of mind of knowing that large repair bills would have been covered.
I've kept detailed bills on the Avalon and reviewed the bills that might have been covered on repairs during the first 7 years and 70,000 miles. They totaled under $600.
Yes, I know, there are many who've had extensive and expensive repairs, but let's go back to the original rule of thumb on insurance...if you can afford to repair or replace it yourself, don't get insurance.
In my, not so scientific, but real life, experiences over the last two and a half decades, would I have been better off paying around $5000 up front to cover expenses that weren't that high?
I'd say that would have been a very poor decision.
Yes, I know that I will bear the expense of any repairs. I believe I can afford it, but if I an in a position that I feel I can't a $1500 or $2000 total repair bill over the next seven years (just guessing, but I believe it's very unlikely that the average car owner will have bills in excess of this amount), how am I supposed to be able pay $1000 on a gamble today?
If I have so much money laying around that I can afford to bet $1000, I'm going to assume that I will be able to cover expenses of that amount down the road.
Many new car owners fall in love with their car.
Some will buy premium gas (even though it's not needed and does nothing for the car) because they want to "give the car better gas". Some will go to the dealer and pay up to $75 for an oil change because think the dealer can do a better job than Firestone, etc.
People, in my humble opinion, will make very foolish decisions with a new car. I imagine the dealers and extended warrantee sales people know this...and count on this irrational behavior for their income.
Sorry, I just don't get it.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Never bought one either,,DH and I dont get them on anything.... BUT my concern is all the electronics in my hybrid (navigation, bluetooth etc )......

How do you determine whether to buy 7/75, 6/100 or 7/100....I drive about 12,000 miles per year and keep cars about 6,7 years....
thanks guys....

Old 04-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seaford
Never bought one either,,DH and I dont get them on anything.... BUT my concern is all the electronics in my hybrid (navigation, bluetooth etc )......

How do you determine whether to buy 7/75, 6/100 or 7/100....I drive about 12,000 miles per year and keep cars about 6,7 years....
thanks guys....
Looking at your quoted mileage, 12k/year, puts you at 72k after 6 years. So, if you get the 7/75k you will hit the mileage limit around 6 years and 4 months (assuming you average out your total mileage per year). This is about 8 months prior to the end to time period on the warranty. The 7/100k will certainly cover you out to 7 years because by the end of the 7th year you would have 84k miles. For maximum coverage, the 7/100k is best.

But...price.

Say the 7/75k is $990. That is $142 a year. By losing 3/4 of a year you are losing about $107 in lost time. Therefore, if it were me, I should be willing to pay something less than $990+$107 (or $1097) for the 7/100k.

Or, you should look at it this way, the 7 year warranty is really only a 4 year warranty. Why? Because you have a 3 year warranty with the purchase. In this case it is about $248 a year, loss of $186 for hitting the mileage limit before 7 years.

I drive about 11k miles a year and I went with the 7/75k ($0 deductible). If I stick to that mileage I would surpass the mileage total before the end of the 7th year but it would be in the last few months. At that point, the car is already old.

I decided to do a warranty for the following reasons:

1. The felt the electronics in the car were expensive and wanted them covered.

2. Since all of my income goes to paying student loans, which will continue for the next 7 years, I might not have the cash to cover a repair or new car.

3. Soothing the first two concerns was worth the money.

Lastly, I hope my math was right...if not...you probably catch the point.

Mike

Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I see most of the Extended Warranty are up to 100K. I plan to keep it longer. Do you know if they above 100K miles?

Do you have some suggestions of who offers them?

Many thanks!

Bill

Quick Reply: Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands