What ONE thing really drives you nuts about the TCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: What ONE thing really drives you nuts about the TCH

I also have never experienced that.

The two buttons are independent. You can just press the tilt down button and release, and it will fully close (press it short and it will close partly, hold it longer it goes to auto close. Same with the slide open and closed.)

Old 09-25-2007, 07:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

One little oddity I haven't quite figured out a reason for, is the fact the moonroof slides back then stops--but if you pull the slide back again, the moonroof goes another.. inch or so? Haven't figured out why there'd be a stop before it gets to the maximum aperture size.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

i had the same problem when i first picked up the car. tell your dealer to reinitialize the moonroof!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chestr
One little oddity I haven't quite figured out a reason for, is the fact the moonroof slides back then stops--but if you pull the slide back again, the moonroof goes another.. inch or so? Haven't figured out why there'd be a stop before it gets to the maximum aperture size.
From the manual, page 54: "The roof will open and stop partway 90 mm (3.6 in.) from the fully opened position. When you push the swicth again, the moon roof will open fully...As driving with the moon roof opened fully will cause wind throbs, we recommend you to drive with the moon roof partway..."

Old 09-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

One thing? That is tough, because there are so many and despite being at the dealer several times, still unfixed at almost 22,000 miles:

#1 steering binding - because it doesn't 'click' like the TSB says, the dealer says it isn't the same thing that the steering binds, and they try to tell me it works fine. This is a serious defect in the car.

#2 pulls to the left when driving despite repeated alignments and tire rotations including crossing the tires. Dealer says it follows the crown of the road - yeah right, they don't have to drive with the wheel going right all the time, no matter what side of the crown you are on

#3 pulls sharply to the left in hard braking - dealer agrees, but brake cleaning and adjusting has not fixed it

#4 console crickets - felt didn't work, new console on order

#5 visor squeaks when moving it towards drivers window - dealer 'lube job' didn't work

#6 car smells like farm animals - think it is a glue used in the back seats or trunk, no outgassing on the windows though

#7 wind noise from drivers window - dealer says they don't hear it; will have to wait for colder weather when it gets worse again

#8 lots of road noise since 20,000 mile service - previous to that the car was pretty quiet except for the wind noise above

Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by r_beagle69
One thing? That is tough, because there are so many and despite being at the dealer several times, still unfixed at almost 22,000 miles:

#1 steering binding - because it doesn't 'click' like the TSB says, the dealer says it isn't the same thing that the steering binds, and they try to tell me it works fine. This is a serious defect in the car.

#2 pulls to the left when driving despite repeated alignments and tire rotations including crossing the tires. Dealer says it follows the crown of the road - yeah right, they don't have to drive with the wheel going right all the time, no matter what side of the crown you are on

#3 pulls sharply to the left in hard braking - dealer agrees, but brake cleaning and adjusting has not fixed it

#4 console crickets - felt didn't work, new console on order

#5 visor squeaks when moving it towards drivers window - dealer 'lube job' didn't work

#6 car smells like farm animals - think it is a glue used in the back seats or trunk, no outgassing on the windows though

#7 wind noise from drivers window - dealer says they don't hear it; will have to wait for colder weather when it gets worse again

#8 lots of road noise since 20,000 mile service - previous to that the car was pretty quiet except for the wind noise above
#8....What did they do at the 20,000 mile service, to create road noise?????

Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast

I too voice similar comments (sorta complaints) about 1) memory seats; 2) dangerously restrictive cell phone access; 3) lack of NAV control when moving; 4) incomplete turn by turn NAV directions (even if street names are not given); 5) place to put left arm when driving; 6) 12v power not available when TCH is off; 7) XM antenna location when metal film tint is installed (kills reception); 8) lack of darker interiors on most models; 9) monitor of ICE and HV RPM (curiosity); 10) probably something else, I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong, I do love my 08 TCH and hope that I will till it's trade-in day. But Toyota needs to wake up and listen to their drivers comments if they want to continue their position in the car market.

I have solved some of the problems I mentioned by 1) modifying my thoughts; 2) modifying Toyota's design or 3) give it up and just live with it.

I still have my big SUV and all of it's lavish creature comforts as I need something to pull my trailers. I bought the TCH because of the miles that were building up on the SUV and it's age, I needed a good backup vehicle and the SUV became that.

As for the Toyota leather, it's very cheap so I was excited when I found out the 08 NAV package did NOT include the sun/moon roof or leather as I wanted neither. I had a custom shop install glove soft leather with extra padding and the tint. Got both for about the same price as Toyota wanted for the two unwanted items in the pre-08 NAV package.

As for the cell phone restriction, I have resorted to putting my cell phone in the small tray to the left of the steering column so I can access it to dial numbers (while driving) on the tiny buttons if necessary. I'm sure this is more dangerous than using the big touch screen buttons if they were available. Good thinking Toyota.

I also keep my TomTom GO510 NAV unit in the console under the radio and A/C controls. At least it will get me where I'm needing to go using turn by turn, even though it does not announce the street names. Big deal, it gets me to my carport in rural Arkansas should I get lost (hehe). Toyota leaves me about 1/2 mile away saying "incomplete data ...", but of course the streets are shown. You can still find your way to your destination by taking you eyes off the road and looking at the NAV screen. That is, if it's within about a mile of your current point. If it's more than that, as you zoom out, the streets may disappear in order for you to see your current location and your destination on the screen at the same time. Good thinking Toyota.

And finally, the 12v outlets. Did anyone at Toyota ever consider that many people may leave their company cell phone in the car to charge overnight so it would be ready for a busy day? Guess not. Or an emergency service worker that put's their portable radio or pager in a charger overnight? Again, I guess not. Or what about the average Joe that just wants to charge his cell phone while he's running in the store. Leave the car ON and locked? That would work. Come on Toyota, make them hot 24/7, everything nowdays is battery operated and needs to be recharged.

Last edited by ManchesterUnited; 09-26-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ManchesterUnited
And finally, the 12v outlets. Did anyone at Toyota ever consider that many people may leave their company cell phone in the car to charge overnight so it would be ready for a busy day? Guess not. Or an emergency service worker that put's their portable radio or pager in a charger overnight? Again, I guess not. Or what about the average Joe that just wants to charge his cell phone while he's running in the store. Leave the car ON and locked? That would work. Come on Toyota, make them hot 24/7, everything nowdays is battery operated and need to be recharged.
Any then we'll get complaints of drained 12V car batteries.

Isn't it easier (and faster) to charge at home?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ManchesterUnited
I too voice similar comments (sorta complaints) about 1) memory seats; 2) dangerously restrictive cell phone access; 3) lack of NAV control when moving; 4) incomplete turn by turn NAV directions (even if street names are not given); 5) place to put left arm when driving; 6) 12v power not available when TCH is off; 7) XM antenna location when metal film tint is installed (kills reception); 8) lack of darker interiors on most models; 9) monitor of ICE and HV RPM (curiosity); 10) probably something else, I'm sure.
I guess it isn't a luxury enough line to have 1). Don't expect 3) because they don't want to be sued when somebody has a crash while playing with the NAV. 5) seems to depend on body size/shape -- my arm rests fine on the door armrest, but why is it so hard? In fact, why are all the surfaces so hard? The leather-wrapped steering wheel might as well be low-end plastic. I guess they need something to differentiate with the Lexus? 6) probably could be rewired, but I'd be concerned about draining that puny little battery. 8) fine until you enter the car when the full sun has been shining on that dark interior! 9) pretty much useless information since the computer controls the system, not you. But it brings up an ammusing issue -- I've owned (as my primary car) 7 vehicles over the years, every one with a stick shift, and not one with a tachometer! Yet every automatic transmission car we've bought has had a tach. Doesn't make any sense to me. 10) agreed!

The TCH is the nicest car we've owned, just not perfect.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast

I'm sure Toyota is looking out for their bottom line (ie law suits) with the NAV, but most other manufacturers have full-access (or much better access) to NAV than Toyota.

And this has been mentioned numerous times, but what about your passenger accessing the NAV and phone? The computer knows when a full-size person is in the seat anyway so maybe it's THEIR cell phone that is connected to the car and not yours. Can't they play with the NAV and not cause a wreck?

Draining the battery is a non-issue as today's chargers draw just a few micro or milliamps since the batteries they charge are so much smaller than previous ones. My experience in over 30 years as an electronics engineer has been that I've never drained a battery by leaving all of my electronics on in any of my vehicles overnight or even for a couple of nights. However, when I am away on a trip, everything gets turned off or unplugged just to make sure that doesn't happen. I would sure hate to come back to the airport garage and find that my car/truck would not start.

I'm not exactly the most clean-footed person when it comes to getting in and out of my car/truck. The bisque color of my interior shows everything even with mats. I've had nothing but darker interiors and carpets for well over 40 years and yes, they are warm, not hot, but good tint and A/C overcomes that very quickly. My 09 TCH will have a dark interior.

I thought I was one of the few that noticed my manual transmission vehicles lacked tach's for the most part, but all of my automatics have had them. Go figure.

Last edited by ManchesterUnited; 09-27-2007 at 06:32 AM.

Quick Reply: What ONE thing really drives you nuts about the TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands