What ONE thing really drives you nuts about the TCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: What ONE thing really drives you nuts about the TCH

Originally Posted by rmorrow
...I pressed auto - once, months ago; set ECO mode - once, months ago; set my cabin temperature (my side only; my wife likes here own setting); and I leave it alone. Nary a complaint to be had. It adjusts the temp to what I want within a very few minutes - no muss, no fuss, no hassle...
Yep, pretty much the same with me. It does drop out of ECO when I occasionally press the front window defogger so I have to keep an eye out for that but otherwise the buttons only collect dust (figuratively speaking).

Old 09-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastMover
I can share your pain. The eco in the US cars is inverse (Miles/gallon or MPG instead of liters/km), and the gauge goes to 60 MPG. But even 60MPG is not sufficient range. I frequently was able to drive on a slight downhill or even on some smooth level roads and see it at 60 MPG, so I didn't know how much better that that it was either.

The only answer is a Scan Gauge or a Dash Hawk.

No, I didn't mean the big gauge beside the speedometer. That actually works well in metric cars, because it reads right to zero. (the inverse of the U.S. cars). I meant the thing that displays on the display inside the speedometer. I "think" that only goes to 40mpg in U.S. cars, which is not hard to average over.

Later!

Dang

Old 09-22-2007, 05:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dang
No, I didn't mean the big gauge beside the speedometer. That actually works well in metric cars, because it reads right to zero. (the inverse of the U.S. cars). I meant the thing that displays on the display inside the speedometer. I "think" that only goes to 40mpg in U.S. cars, which is not hard to average over.

Later!

Dang
Are you referring to the "Eco Drive Level" indicator? That stepped bar chart that only has the 9, 8, 7, and 6 l/100Km markings, that measures the FE for the current trip? If so, I agree - it's pretty much useless. I always go off the scale on that on any trip of more than 5 minutes.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Eco Drive Level.....that's it!

Couldn't remember the name. It's too bad it doesn't "slide" to another scale once you exceed the range on the current display, or have a numeric value in addition to the bar graph. They really misjudged the scale on this thing.

Later!

Dang

Old 09-23-2007, 05:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dang
Eco Drive Level.....that's it!

Couldn't remember the name. It's too bad it doesn't "slide" to another scale once you exceed the range on the current display, or have a numeric value in addition to the bar graph. They really misjudged the scale on this thing.

Later!

Dang
I'd also like to see one more notch to the scale, but I'd bet it was a purposeful "misjudgment". If there was one more category left, some drivers would be complaining when they don't reach it often enough. This way, it usually looks like you're "getting all the mileage it's supposed to get".

Old 09-23-2007, 05:14 AM

Exactly! As it is, the scale doesn't give you any more information than the blue ring around the meters does. Why didn't they just give another numerical display like the tank FE, only for the trip? That would be waaay more useful.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:03 AM
Enthusiast

THis is my fisrts message at all in this fourm!!!

And I'm amazed and agree with most of what you all have mentioned: memory seats, squeaks, gauges illumination.

I used to drive a Lexus RX300 2002 and driving the TCH I didn't miss it at all; except the memory seats and it could be nice to have the full auto power window at least in the driver side.

Mine is giving me currently 38 mpg average. Pour gas every two weeks.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't seen anyone mention this in this thread but the moonroof controls bother me. It has two switches for TILT UP/DOWN and Moonroof OPEN/CLOSE if I remember correctly. This is great if that is what they did.

I want to be able to tilt the moonroof up which I can do. However, when I close it, I have to time it right and watch it. If you hold the TILT DOWN button too long, it begins to open the moonroof. But there is no indication that it is finished the TILT down. It will just continue on and open the moonroof.

The two controls should be independent. If I want to TILT down, it should TILT down and be done with. Hope this makes sense.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bvbernard
I haven't seen anyone mention this in this thread but the moonroof controls bother me. It has two switches for TILT UP/DOWN and Moonroof OPEN/CLOSE if I remember correctly. This is great if that is what they did.

I want to be able to tilt the moonroof up which I can do. However, when I close it, I have to time it right and watch it. If you hold the TILT DOWN button too long, it begins to open the moonroof. But there is no indication that it is finished the TILT down. It will just continue on and open the moonroof.

The two controls should be independent. If I want to TILT down, it should TILT down and be done with. Hope this makes sense.
umm.. they should work independently of each other.

The previous Camry had one rocker switch that controlled both the tilt and slide. I preferred that setup as it looks cleaner. It also stops after it tilts down so you have to press it again to slide.

With a two-button setup, I assume they work independently so you have to flick the slide button to open it.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by bvbernard
However, when I close it, I have to time it right and watch it. If you hold the TILT DOWN button too long, it begins to open the moonroof. But there is no indication that it is finished the TILT down. It will just continue on and open the moonroof.
I have never had that happen to me. I use the moon roof a lot, and I've never paid attention - I just press the button for a couple of seconds, and it's closed. Maybe if the button is held down much longer; I'll have to check.

Quick Reply: What ONE thing really drives you nuts about the TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands