Replacing front grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacing front grill

Originally Posted by MickeysPal
Another alternative is to just add some genuine 'imitation chrome' to the lower grille.
When I saw that kit on Ebay, I thought it was completely cheesy. But I think that's because all the photos had the kit installed on color-keyed XLE grills. I really like how it looks on your car! I might order the lower grill kit, not really interested in the fog covers because I plan on installing fog lights with color-keyed covers.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

I made my grille blocker with styrofoam craft board / poster board.

For the uppper grille it is attached on the inside of the grille. Two pieces made it easier to get inside. I poked holes through the poster board and used zip ties to attach it to the grille.

For the bottom grille I put it on the outside. I cut one piece to shape.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Arrow Re: Replacing front grill

Originally Posted by n8kwx
I made my grille blocker with styrofoam craft board / poster board.

For the uppper grille it is attached on the inside of the grille. Two pieces made it easier to get inside. I poked holes through the poster board and used zip ties to attach it to the grille.

For the bottom grille I put it on the outside. I cut one piece to shape.
Please give a follow-up on any gas mileage gains and engine temperature changes that you notice. I used a grill blocker on my Insight and picked up nearly 10 MPGs when I used it. (NOTE: Engine temperatures ran too hot to use it in the summer over about 80 degrees.)

Old 02-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Please give a follow-up on any gas mileage gains and engine temperature changes that you notice. I used a grill blocker on my Insight and picked up nearly 10 MPGs when I used it. (NOTE: Engine temperatures ran too hot to use it in the summer over about 80 degrees.)
If you want to change the look of your TCH, google the new stainless steel mesh grille for the TCH on the web. Looks very cool!!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Al Froio
If you want to change the look of your TCH, google the new stainless steel mesh grille for the TCH on the web. Looks very cool!!
Are you talking about the E&G Classics grill? E&G produces some of the best aftermarket grills available, but you gotta want that chromed-out look.
http://www.egclassic.com/inventory/r...=112&year=2007

Old 02-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Has anyone removed theirs? How'd ya' go about? I see a screw on the top right & left but it seems more secure than that. Plus, how do ya' get to the screws??

Old 02-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry, guys....I just have to laugh...here you buy a great car, but are not satisfied with how it 'looks'! Change this, change that...lower it, take off the badges, put on bigger wheels, change the grill...It has to be a 'guy' thing!

Sorry, I am 'only a female'!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meerkat
Has anyone removed theirs? How'd ya' go about? I see a screw on the top right & left but it seems more secure than that. Plus, how do ya' get to the screws??
That's exactly the problem I found (see above). Those two #$!* screws! There are brackets right in front of them!

The service manual shows that there are a bunch of plastic clips around the grille that need to be released. They are pretty obvious when looking at the grille. I think there are 12 or 16 of them.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by flopshot
Are you talking about the E&G Classics grill? E&G produces some of the best aftermarket grills available, but you gotta want that chromed-out look.
http://www.egclassic.com/inventory/r...=112&year=2007
That looks good on a white car but I'm not sure how it would look on a black. Plus they seem to be more expensive than the SE grill.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:37 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by belbe
Sorry, guys....I just have to laugh...here you buy a great car, but are not satisfied with how it 'looks'! Change this, change that...lower it, take off the badges, put on bigger wheels, change the grill...It has to be a 'guy' thing!

Sorry, I am 'only a female'!
Maybe an age thing. I'm a baby-boomer and have no inclination or energy to change the look of my TCH. It's just fine. When I was young I did the Chrome Reverse wheels, emblems (now called badges) etc. but no more.
Interestingly Toyota Scion's line of automobiles are specifically aimed at the young market and are much more customizable internally and externally.

Quick Reply: Replacing front grill

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands