quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

Getting mixed msg from Michelin, e-mailed them inre Primacy v Energy MXV S8 and here is their reply:

Robert,

Thank you for your interest in Michelin tires and for sending us your email.
We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

The Primacy does not have the same Energy construction as the S8. The
Mileage on the Primacy MXV4 will not be as good as the S8. However, the
Primacy MXV4 offers a 60,000 mile warranty where as the S8 does not offer a
mileage warranty.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

To All,

Do we have any gas mileage reports from new tire owners? We had a few people have listed Primacy tires. It would be interesting to know if you are seeing any changes in mileage.

Thanks!

Bill

Old 05-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

There have been several threads in the past regarding tires and milage. search on my name to get previous posts on my mvx4s

Old 05-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I read somewhere, maybe tirerack. The new primacy may replace the S8. The S8 has slightly better rolling resistance than the Primacy MAV4 tire. However the Primacy has better snow and ice traction than the S8. The Primacy will outlast the S8.

Energy MXV4 S8, UTQG - 440AA

Primacy MXV4, UTQG - 620AA

Old 05-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think Michelins are the way to go for tires. I have never owned bridgestone tires but, i have owned several Michelins and they all have performed well. The MXS 8 low rolling resistance tires on my TCH have a good mix of handling and quietness, i think.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Veracitorian Muser

With only 29K miles on my 07 TCH, I got a slow leak in the left rear OEM Energy S8. Took it to Discount Tire for inspection. The tires have been rotated every 5K miles, and 4K ago, the wear was even. I thought I would see at least 40K on these tires.

Bad news... First, the two front tires are down to 4mm, which tells me I have at most 5K left on them, and it isn't too soon to replace them now (I usually go to 3mm). Second, the rear's are at 6mm, and the left one has TWO nails, about an inch apart. They tell me that two holes in the same area of the tire cannot be fixed. The only reasonable option seems to be replace both rear tires. (How close can two holes be before repair is unsafe?)

I decided to go with the Primacy, as they were only a couple bucks more then the Energy, come with the 60K warranty (and much higher tread-wear rating then the Energy). My immediate impression is that the Primacy are barely louder than the Energy (perhaps it is imaginary, or it could be the taller new tread), and seems to have better grip (which is probably due to comparing new tread to old). The tread pattern is nearly identical, the initial tread depth is identical, and the compound seems a bit softer, but that would not explain the longer tread life expectancy.

I will keep them at 40 psi, just as I did the OEM tires. Even at 40, the ride is soft for my tastes, but the tread wear on the original tires was as even as could be, with no indication of greater center wear that would be expected of over inflation. The Primacy and Energy are both rated at 44 psi max, and I would not be comfortable with more than 90% of max.

As I have every tank milage recorded (not all entered in the Green Hybrid database yet!), I should soon have a very accurate milage comparison between the Primacy and Energy. Expect an update in a few months!

-- Alan

Old 05-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast

If I'm not mistaken, the Primacy's tread is 11/32 vs 9/32 for the Energy

Old 05-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by robertru
If I'm not mistaken, the Primacy's tread is 11/32 vs 9/32 for the Energy
Per the Michelin web site, the Energy (sized for the TCH) is 10/32 with a 440 tread life rating. The Primacy (you have to select P215/60R16 from the link) is 11/32, with a 660 tread life rating. Thanks for correcting me on the Energy (on average, we were both correct!!!).

Some additional info from the web site: The Primacy is only an H rated tire (130 MPH max), vs. a V rating for the Energy (149 MPH max). Even with an additional 1/32" tread, the Primacy is 0.1" smaller diameter, and turns 796 RPM @ 45 MPH, where the Energy turns 793 RPM @ 45 MPH (0.4% difference). The Primacy has a higher load capacity at 1521 lbs. vs. 1477 lbs. (@ 44 lbs inflation pressure). The kicker for better milage (if any) of the Energy might be that the total width of the Energy is 8.5", vs. 8.7" on the Primacy. Other differences on the site suggest the Energy is more energy efficient, where the Primacy is quieter and longer lasting.

-- Alan

Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast

For what it's worth, went to Toyota today for maintenance and will need new tires soon. They are recommending the Primacy MXV4 as a replacement for the TURANZA's. Not sure if that will be my choice yet, but thanks for everyone's comments so far on the op's question. I'm still doing my research.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Two full tanks since I had the Primacys installed. 38.0 and 38.6
I have the V rated version of the Primacys set to 36 psi.
It is quieter, handles better than the OEM Bridgestones, and has the 60K treadlife warranty.
I'd say I'm taking maybe a 1 mpg hit vs the Bridgestones I had previously, but I'll take that to gain the positives of the Primacys.

Quick Reply: quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands