quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

Called Michelin this a.m. as to there being two Energy MXV4 tires listed for the TCH. They recommend the Primacy MXV4 now as replacement. Said energy tire, quieter and 60K warranty. Tire Rack, for some reason, has 2 of these listed, one for $126 and the other for $168. Same specs (?)
Same deal with the Energy MXV4, three listed at three different prices. What gives?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robertru
Called Michelin this a.m. as to there being two Energy MXV4 tires listed for the TCH. They recommend the Primacy MXV4 now as replacement. Said energy tire, quieter and 60K warranty. Tire Rack, for some reason, has 2 of these listed, one for $126 and the other for $168. Same specs (?)
Same deal with the Energy MXV4, three listed at three different prices. What gives?
don't know, but check the speed ratings...seems when my son bought tires for his car he found the same thing.. different prices for same tire, and found out that the speed ratings were different... a letter rating... T? V? not sure, but check that out

Old 05-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

Did and both have same rating. Tire Rack couldn't explain either

Old 05-12-2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack

However, I think that in this case we are spared the need to make such a tough decision. The Michelin Energy's are sufficiently LRR AND good handling AND long lasting.

All of the user comments I've seen in this forum and in the Edmunds.com TCH forum (which forum, incidentally, led me here in the first place) seem to indicate high level of satisfaction with these tires. Based on this and on my own past experience with Michelins vs other brands, I tend to believe the Michelin claims that they have tire design technology superior to any other manufacturer for simultaneously achieving LRR, good handling and good tread wear characteristics.

Jack
The only thing I see that you may have left out, is that Michelin is usually the roundest tire. I'm sure many other brands are catching up but usually they are more expensive tires. Goodyear might be closest to having a tire as round as Michelin's. Back in the 70's nobody came close to michelins roundness.

I had a friend back then that owned a front end, tire balance shop. He showed me a set of early Bridgestones that were 1/4" out of round. Not like that anymore though.

He showed me a set of old michelins from some old man's Cadillac. He would remove each tire and put in on his balance machine to spin it up to 80 mph. As it slowed near a stop he pulled an arm over and touched it to the center of the tire. Each tire was perfectly round. He showed me that just the one tire needed a 1/4 ounce weight. I noticed the tires were old and only had 3 threads left in the center area. I asked the owner how many miles on this set of tires. Would you believe 110,000. Evidently the older gentleman drives really slow.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:48 PM

I read somewhere on a web page that the Primacy MXV4 may be the replacement for the Energy S8 tire. Could be the Primacy (Energy)? may have a little more traction but I hope still the great rolling resistance of the S8.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just looked on the Tire Rack site the $126 Primacy's are 95H and the $168's are 95V.

I had the Primacy's (95V) put on at Costco last Friday (4 tires $800 installed [including tax and fees] and a $60 Costco Cash Card as an instant rebate with lifetime rotation/balancing and road hazard warranty.)

The Primacy's are definitely quieter than the Bridgestones that came with my TCH and I no longer feel like I'm going to roll the car over if I take an expressway ramp at speed.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Enthusiast

Any chance to compare mpg yet btwn the Primacy and Bridgestones?

Old 05-17-2008, 03:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Any chance to compare mpg yet btwn the Primacy and Bridgestones?
Not really. I filled up on 5/4 (37.5 mpg), replaced the tires on 5/9, and filled up on 5/15 (37.6 mpg).
I don't have Nav and only check the trip display when turning off the car, but I haven't noticed much of a difference in mileage yet.

From Tire Rack:
Primacy MXV4 tires were developed to become the successor to Michelin's Energy MXV4 Plus tire line and promise to add the extra value that comes with longer wear to the existing tire's combination of performance and comfort.

From CanadianDriver:
The Michelin Primacy MXV4 tire is the next generation of the popular Energy MXV4 tire line which has helped define the ride for vehicles ranging from the Honda Accord to the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. Providing a quiet smooth ride and excellent dry and wet traction, the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tire provides excellent value for a touring car.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Of the tires you are discribing, what is the expected mileage of these Tires? We have 15K mile on our TCH and I can see we will need new ones in the fall. We have some long trips planned for the summer. I don't drive tires down to last possible moment.

(the price of gas is NOT going to keep us from going on vacation)

Bill

Old 05-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyCAMBill
Of the tires you are describing, what is the expected mileage of these Tires? We have 15K mile on our TCH and I can see we will need new ones in the fall. We have some long trips planned for the summer. I don't drive tires down to last possible moment.
They have a rating of 620AA and a 60,000 mi warranty.
Based on the fact that I got 38,000 out of the 240AA rated Bridgestones, I might get 90,000 out of these Primacys. We'll see.

Here's the Tire Rack Link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=16VR6MXV4P
and the Costco link:
http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product....ed=V&Width=215

Quick Reply: quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands