quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

Originally Posted by darrelr
Had the tires installed yesterday. Less than $480 installed for the set. I had them inflated to 40psi like the Bridgestones. The first thing I noticed is that the car started easier in EV mode and the lack of "road noise" from the Bridgestones. I'm headed on a road trip this week/weekend and will see if the tires are as quiet on the road and if the MPG increases as well.
Darrel, I'm anxious to hear your report on how the tires were on your road trip. Thanks

Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

I just got in last night from the road trip. I started at a disadvantage since I aready had 60 miles on the tank and 34.6mpg on the gauge. I headed east on US30 in Indiana from Valparaiso. Averaged about 60mph. Hit almost every red light on the east end of the state (bad for gas mileage). Went to Columbus for presentation and on to Wheeling. Average speed for the day was about 65mph. Next day drove to Weirton for presentations and back to Wheeling. Average speed about 40mph. Saturday drove to Elkins, WV. Filled up in Washington, PA. on the way. 600 miles - 15.3 gallons - 39.2mpg. The ride to Elkins and back to Steubenville, OH, averaged about 70mph through the mountains. On to Warren, OH, the next day. More presentations in Warren on Monday, then drove home on the Ohio Turnpike. Filled up on the Turnpike. 623 miles - 14.9 gallons - 41.8mpg. I guess I can't complain. The turnpike was rough . . . strong headwind. Overall, the tires were great. Had rain in the Wheeling / Weirton area on Thursday - Saturday, and the car handled really well. And the tires are Sooooo QUIET. It's hard to believe after the Bridgestons.

So far, the best tire investment I have ever made. I always bought Goodyear or Michelins. This was a big change for me, and I'm glad I made it.