quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

It is the speed rating of the tire. In this case "V" is good for 149 MPH. Yeah right in a Hybrid
Here are the rest of the ratings:

M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

Old 07-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast

The V rating refers to how soft the rubber is. The softer the rubber the higher the performance and less treadwear than a H rated tire.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wcarltonedwards
I just purchased a new set of Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires after getting 44,000 on the original Michelins. The Kumho tires are much smoother and quieter. They are getting the same mpg at a much lower cost. They are v-rated and have a 600 rating compared to the 440 rating of the Michelins.
Carlton, would you be able to give us an updated report on your Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires please? I have 40,000 miles on my Michelins and it looks like I will need tires in the next 4,000 or 5,000 miles also. I am considering buying these tires as well. Please advise on mpg changes, if any, road noise, and road feel. Most new tires are quieter than the worn-out ones that are replaced, so that may be hard to analyze. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 PM

I just looked up that tire on www.tirerack.com/ By tire size 215/60/16

I see this one has a 51psi max tire pressure. Kumo also offers a Solus KR21 tire that also seems popular but shows 44 psi max pressure. Their are some reviews on both of these tires on the rack site.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
I just looked up that tire on www.tirerack.com/ By tire size 215/60/16

I see this one has a 51psi max tire pressure. Kumo also offers a Solus KR21 tire that also seems popular but shows 44 psi max pressure. Their are some reviews on both of these tires on the rack site.
rburto7, thanks..Yes, I have been looking at tirerack for tires, and have read the reviews. I am down to a choice of two, the Michelins same as EO, or the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum ...for much less money. I am hoping the poster (wcarltonedwards) that bought these tires a month ago, will post back here with his experiences as well...I am very interested in these specific Kumho tires.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

[quote=jbollt;184495]Carlton, would you be able to give us an updated report on your Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires please? I have 40,000 miles on my Michelins and it looks like I will need tires in the next 4,000 or 5,000 miles also. I am considering buying these tires as well. Please advise on mpg changes, if any, road noise, and road feel. Most new tires are quieter than the worn-out ones that are replaced, so that may be hard to analyze. Thanks![/quote

If money were no object, Iwould still purchase these tires again. After 4000 miles, they are the quietest and smoothest tires that I have ever owned, with no detrimental effects on gas mileage.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by wcarltonedwards

If money were no object, Iwould still purchase these tires again. After 4000 miles, they are the quietest and smoothest tires that I have ever owned, with no detrimental effects on gas mileage.
Thank you for your reply and confidence inspiring comments. I will go ahead and buy these tires, and will report back to the forum as well...I am sure I will have the same good things to say.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gremhe
Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify, I'm looking for a quieter tire that returns the same or better MPG. However long tread wear is not a priority (of course, it would be nice).

I drive about 4000 miles per year, so even a tire with below average tread wear is okay. The car is used for short errands, and for occasional side trips (200 - 300 miles each way) -- and it's on these trips (mainly on the freeway) that a quieter tire would be welcome.

My reasons for wanting the same or better MPG are mainly environmental (vs. economical). Even so, with rising gas prices, I think the total cost to own will be lower than for a gas Camry.

P.S. Other than this tire noise issue (which is not really bad, I just want it to be quieter), the car is excellent.
If you only drive 4,000 miles a year, you will be replacing the tire well before you get to the wear bars just based on time and safety rather than milage.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:22 AM
Enthusiast

I have 38K on the original Bridgestones, and they are into the wear indicators. I guess I'm lucky to get that many miles out of them. I have them pumped to 40psi and have been getting aroung 40mpg during the warmer months here in Indiana.

I just ordered a set of Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires. Should be in Monday or Tuesday for installation. Waiting to see if it improves MPG. Good reports on that tire on the Tire Rack and other web sites. They were over $150 less than the Michelins I was looking at . I will update when I get some miles on the new tires.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:15 AM
Enthusiast

Had the tires installed yesterday. Less than $480 installed for the set. I had them inflated to 40psi like the Bridgestones. The first thing I noticed is that the car started easier in EV mode and the lack of "road noise" from the Bridgestones. I'm headed on a road trip this week/weekend and will see if the tires are as quiet on the road and if the MPG increases as well.

Quick Reply: quieter tires (with same or better MPG)?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands