Preparing for Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default Preparing for Road Trip

We are taking a trip from East Central Florida to Northern Central Colorado in July. What would you guys do or take with you? Space will be really tight and we will have to pack light. We are riding there with 4 people and gear. Then 2 of those people will be flying back. Just the wife and I on the way back (probably at blazing speeds).

The only things that come to mind are to change the oil before hand and rotate the tires before we leave. It will be around 5000 miles round trip when all is said and done. Maybe pack a spare "smart key".... I want to be ready.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Preparing for Road Trip

I keep an emergency kit in the trunk. It is a satchel that contains a flashlight, extra fuses and light-bulbs, tire plug kit, extra windshield-wiper refills, jumper cables, road flares, an orange traffic-safety vest, an orange poncho, a couple space-blankets, and a multi-tool.

For a road-trip, I also carry a can of WD-40. I use the WD-40 to spray the front 'bra' area of the car at the beginning of each highway day. When a bug splats itself on my car, the thin coat of oil keeps the bug-juice from damaging my paint.

Yeah, I used to be a boy scout.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Professor Emeritus

Thanks for the advice. I will be taking all of that. Especially the plug kit. Those things come in handy Especially on a Sunday when no tire shops are open!

Thats funny about the WD 40. I have always used Black Magic on the front to keep the Love Bugs from sticking like glue. I may have to give that a try. I always used Pledge on my motorcycle helmet and components. The bugs wipe right off.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

So the WD 40 will not hurt your paint? Clearcoat?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
So the WD 40 will not hurt your paint? Clearcoat?
I've been using WD40 to protect paint from bugs for at least 20 years. So far, no problem. Sometimes I don't wash it off for a few weeks after a trip. I just today washed off the car after a 2000 mile trip that I took four weeks ago. WD40 is mostly just light machine oil. You could also use baby oil, or some other light oil.

I suppose it is possible that oil could eventually do something to the clear coat. I think it is a question of, how fast? Lovebug splatter will destroy clear coat in one day. Oil definitely takes longer than that.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Professor Emeritus

Stupid "Love Bugs"... They will Literally ruin your paint if you do not find a way to keep them in check. It is a serious problem down here. Especially in the center of the state. I remember it being an annual thing when I was a kid. Now it seems like it happens 3 times a year.

Love Bugs + Sun + Heat over 90 = serious damage to your paint if you don't clean them off every day (or every few days with the above mention methods).