Gas mileage on long road trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast
Question Gas mileage on long road trip

Hey guys, I am going to be making a long road trip this weekend, 600 miles one way, through Ohio and Michigan, i.e., mostly VERY flat and straight roads. Does anyone have experience and suggestions on how to maximize MPG for a trip like that? You know, for driving on interstate at high speed.

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas mileage on long road trip

one word.... drafting.

search the forums for more reports from those of us who have experimented with it.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Suggestion: Allow a liitle extra time and slow down... makes for a more relaxed trip and will probably save more than any other tip.

Drafting is cool, as long as everyone involved is OK with it, and you stay very alert. Be careful.

Regards,

Old 08-16-2005, 03:43 PM
FEH Advocate

The next biggest influences on fuel economy (FE), besides keeping under 65mph and drafting, are the following:

- Use AC sparingly and avoid MAX AC.

- Maintain constant speed (try to keep RPM between 1500-2000) and coast as much as possible, leaving several car buffer zone in front of you. Many believe the cruise control does worse on FE.

- Even if your vehicle is relatively new, check the tire pressure. A vehicle that requires its tires to be inflated to 35psi will have an increase in rolling resistance of approximately 12.5% if the tires are allowed to become under inflated to just 28 psi. Best FE would be maximum cold inflation.

- Cut down air resistance by not putting anything on your luggage rack, many of us take the racks off when not using.

- Don't carry what you don't need, e.g. minimize weight.

I just saw a CNN segment on FE tips today, since gas prices now average over $2.50 today, that included some of the above (their best tip being to buy a car with good FE).

Have an enjoyable trip,
-Dan

PS: One of the unexpected perks of owning a hybrid came to me on my first road trip where I got stuck in slow & go traffic, which used to really bug me, but I experienced an upbeat attitude as I watched my MPG slowly rising while driving for miles in stealth mode.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gillman
Use AC sparingly and avoid MAX AC..
For highway driving, when the gas engine is running all the time anyway, you are better off to use MAX A/C or RECIRC. This allows the cold interior air to recirculate rather than being mixed with hot outside air. This allows the compressor to run less, especially as the car cools and you can turn the temperature higher.

MAX A/C and the RECIRC just above it on the dial are the same with the exception that at lower speeds the gas engine can shut down as it would normally. Use this in lower speed driving if you don't mind it blowing warm air when running in EV mode. Keep the fan at a lower speed and you may find the cold air lasts longer.

Also, avoid using the defroster as this runs the A/C compressor as well.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Happy Owner

If you're on flat roads, cruise is ok, but keep an eye on the tach - if it flexs a lot, you'll need to feather the pedal yourself. I've done 500 mile trips (each way - another planned this weekend) and have run the a/c on recirc, low fan and no c/c and gotten 38 mpg. (NJ turnpike, DL and MD - fairly flat roads) Once I got back to the hills of New England I lost a bit but still came out with great numbers. Stay at a constant speed and you'll do well.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gas Pirates
I've done 500 mile trips (each way - another planned this weekend) and have run the a/c on recirc, low fan and no c/c and gotten 38 mpg. (NJ turnpike, DL and MD - fairly flat roads)
Can you make a little side trip (I am practically on Route 1) and show me how you do so well in the Jolly Roger? Your lifetime average mileage is just slightly higher than mine but it seems you you do a lot better than me on the highway trips. You guys are the only car between me and the hypers....

Have a great trip - looks like some nice New England weather coming up....

Old 08-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the tips guys, I will see how I do and report back.