Time for a long road trip!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Time for a long road trip!

I can't wait. Just put money down on a '04 MT Insight with <4000 miles near Rochester, NY. I'll be flying out from Portland, Oregon over Wednesday night and picking up the car Thursday noon. I figure about 4 days to drive back - probably mostly on I-90. Will be interesting to see how it does for mpg on the long haul.

-Will

Old 06-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: Time for a long road trip!

Let me know if/when you'll be coming through Madison, Wisconsin and we may be able to meet up.
You also may want to give xcel a PM, too. He is in the Chicago area.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Holy cow, that's dedication! Coast to coast for a hybrid! If you happen to pass through central Texas (heheh, right!) I'll buy you a cold beverage of your choice

Old 06-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Eric,

I'll most likely be coming through both Chicago and Madison. When I know my schedule I'll let you know.

Any advice on whether I should go I-94 through N. Dakota or I-90 through S. Dakota?

Old 06-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Kayakwill:

___You will be traveling within 4 blocks of my present residence (as the crow fly’s) and it would be a shame if I could not meet up with you! I am working that weekend (Days) but from about 05:00 PM on, I am here. Where do you plan on stopping for the night on the second or third day? It isn’t that expensive here in Gurnee, IL. although there are much cheaper hotels and such just across the border in Wisconsin (off the Interstate of course). Maggiano’s for dinner (Tbaleno knows how much I love that place) or even Outback Steak just down the block with you and the misses would be nice. If you would like my family to join, I would be more then happy to meet up with you. If its just you, feel free to crash here for a quick overnight although I will have to get permission from the more significant other in my family (the wife) before saying yes first

___Take the northern route through ND for maximizing your FE IIRC? Less hills … But, you will miss out on quite a bit of our country’s history and drop dead gorgeous scenery. I haven’t taken the northern route in well over 20 years but the southern route sure has some absolutely stunning POI’s. Custer State Park, the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, The Bad Lands (exceptionally beautiful and a must see), the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD and the ever present Wall Drug. You will know all about Wall Drug well before you get anywhere close, I promise Even after exiting SD, there is always a quick visit over to Devil’s Tower in Wyoming? If you were a fan of Close Encounter’s that is? It is much smaller in real life then the movie portrayed …

___X-Country trips are the greatest and I hope you enjoy your trip in regards to what you see along the way and visit during your brief stops. Hitting the open road for a “Gotta Get There Yesterday” as fast as can be achieved is not my idea of the best X-Country trip (unfortunately, most of us do it that way) so I hope you find the time to enjoy the many sites you are going to pass …

___To finish, I sure wish I was going along for the ride and do not forget to keep a day by day – blow by blow- log of what you see and the FE achieved in your Insight! It will make it that much more an interesting X-Country trip for the rest of us here after you post the details.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately I'll be in the "GGTY" category - probably be coming through your area around noon on Friday, if on schedule.

I'll log on Thurs. night to update my schedule.

-Will

Old 06-22-2005, 07:13 PM

Hi Kayakwill:

___A heads up … try to arrive at the IN./IL. border no later then 02:00 PM or you will be in for the FE fight of your life. There was major construction on a section of I-94/I-80 (the Kingerey as some call it) the last time I was through that stretch about 3 months ago and it was absolutely ridiculous with a capital R! In other words, stay clear of this area from ~ 02:00 - 06:00 PM. Find a place to stop and take in a movie, dinner, hotel w/ a pool, or some other such activity as the Friday afternoon traffic wreck you will hit at that time a night simply isn’t worth it!

___If you anywhere near my home after 05:30 PM Friday afternoon however, give me call. I will leave my home phone in a PM just in case you are a making less progress then you had hoped.

___Good Luck with the trip.

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Last edited by xcel; 06-22-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Trip Report

I've made it back home after picking up my new toy in Rochester, NY! The car was as advertised and a great deal with only 3500 miles on it. Had a great (but tiring) trip. Felt great about the FE given I only had 3-1/2 days to get back and it was my first mountain driving experience. Here's a brief trip report:

Flew out of Seattle at 10:30pm on the red-eye to Newark and then on to Rochester, NY where I rented a car and drove 100 miles south to Elmira. Charlie from Chilson-Wilcox met me at the rental car return in my Insight and drove me back to the dealership (me cringing all the way at his non FE driving!) Finally got on the road at 2pm on Thursday. LMPG – 3,468miles @ 47.0mpg.

It was pretty warm in NY and I had to use the AC sparingly, so combined with the hills I was in the low 70’s for FE into Ohio. As the evening cooled and the topography flattened, I was able to recover so that by 9pm I was back at just above 80mpg. I had planned to stop between Toledo and Chicago for the night, but decided to drive on to get through Chicago with the least amount of traffic. This worked out well – no slow downs in spite of considerable construction activity. I was able to meet up with Wayne Gerdes (xcel) for a quick breakfast near his home in the very early morning (sorry Wayne – forgot to set my clock back). Had a good but quick visit and back on the road. First refuel in Franksville, Wisconsin – 804 miles @ 81.4mpg.

After stopping overnight just south of Fargo, ND, I pushed on through North Dakota and into Montana. Installed warm-air mod in early morning as it was below 60 degrees. My second refuel was in Bismark, ND – 807 miles @ 82.1mpg. Had a good tailwind in the eastern portion of Montana, but it was offset by the climb over the continental divide. Stopped for Saturday night at relatives in Livingston, MT.

I got another early (4am) start on Sunday and refueled in Missoula – 793 miles @ 77.8mpg – not bad for the mountain climb. On this final leg home, hit relatively heavy traffic returning from weekend activities. Finally arrived home in Winlock, WA at 7:30pm Sunday evening. Trip totals: 2,969 miles @ 81.3mpg(FCD) – I haven’t yet refilled the tank. LMPG – 6,437 miles @ 58.2mpg. Driving time was 60 hours with an average speed of 50 mph including breaks for refueling and meals.

Thanks again to Wayne for getting up so early to meet with me (see pic in photo section!)

Old 06-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default Trip report - clarification

While my average speed was 50mph, most of the time I kept it at 60mph +/-.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:09 PM

Hi Kayakwill:

___Have you seen the following yet?

Kayakwill's new - used 04 Insight

___A nice Insight is an understatement given its interior and exterior condition

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: Time for a long road trip!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands