Park Assist ATTN:Droid13

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:46 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Park Assist ATTN:Droid13

Droid13 and Paulgw — Thanks for your replies and information. I think I'll also try painting my sensors. Maybe it will reduce their undue sensitivity! Paul, you're right about the button. It must be that it's mentioned in the (online) kit Installation Instructions — I requested the Service Manager to print out a copy for me.

Droid13 — Referring to some questions of yours much earlier in this thread, the Installation Instructions (mentioned above) show that the electronic module is mounted behind the LH-side cover in the trunk, on the rear wheel well wall. The beeper is a separate unit that's mounted behind the dash near the steering column.

Regarding the door lock/unlock instructions: Paulgw, yours is the latest version of the Manual, but your instructions also seem to be defective or unclear, just like mine. [I had seen the online iGuide instructions, but they are the same.] I think they mean you should have the car ON, but not READY, for reasons of safety. (But they do say to put the parking brake on!) The instruction to set the power to ON, and then move the shift lever to Park, implies that you should set the power to ON with the shift lever somewhere other than Park. I've tried various options for this too, but am stumped. I can't believe that these user options don't work, but my dealer (after 4 requests) still doesn't know how to make the changes. I've been rather busy, and so haven't pursued it yet, but I will in due course. What are we doing wrong?
Anyone — Can you help us? I have read the earlier thread "Autolocking doors" in this forum, but still can't make these changes work!

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 11-24-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Regarding the door lock/unlock instructions: Paulgw, yours is the latest version of the Manual, but your instructions also seem to be defective or unclear, just like mine. [I had seen the online iGuide instructions, but they are the same.] I think they mean you should have the car ON, but not READY, for reasons of safety. (But they do say to put the parking brake on!) The instruction to set the power to ON, and then move the shift lever to Park, implies that you should set the power to ON with the shift lever somewhere other than Park. I've tried various options for this too, but am stumped. I can't believe that these user options don't work, but my dealer (after 4 requests) still doesn't know how to make the changes. I've been rather busy, and so haven't pursued it yet, but I will in due course. What are we doing wrong?
Anyone — Can you help us? I have read the earlier thread "Autolocking doors" in this forum, but still can't make these changes work!

Stan[/quote]

I spoke to the Toyota service technician about changing Auto-doorlocking using method described in the manual, he said he had no idea, always uses his "scanner", and offered to do it for me next time I bring the car in.

Last edited by Paulgw; 11-26-2006 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:42 PM
SPL

An Update: Some time ago in this thread I mentioned that my Park Assist sensors seemed to be ultra-sensitive — they frequently mistriggered for no apparent reason. I wondered whether painting them would reduce their sensitivity and overcome the problem. [My TCH is Aloe Green Metallic, and the sensors aren't available pre-painted for this colour. One has to install the plain black, unpainted sensors, which look like warts on the green bumper. Paulgw you have the same colour, but apparently not the mistriggering problem.] Well, I asked the dealer to replace the sensors under warranty. He did so, and at the same time had the new ones painted with Aloe Green Metallic paint (at no cost to me!) before installation. I'm pleased to report that this not only looks much better, but seems to have cured the mistriggering problem too. Whether the original sensors were defective, or whether the paint reduced their excessive (unpainted) sensitivity I don't know. [Any others out there with oversensitive unpainted sensors?] Anyway, it seems that there's no reason not to paint the sensors to match the car's paint colour.

I hope to be able to report further on how to change the door locking/unlocking options shortly.

Stan

Old 01-25-2007, 11:16 PM
SPL

More information: Regarding Park Assist's beeper, that is mounted behind the dash, it's a black unit maybe 5 cm in diameter and 2 cm deep. It has a slide switch on its side, that can be set to Off, Low, or High (the default setting). Now, Off would render the Park Assist useless, of course, but you may prefer to set yours to Low instead of High, if you find its beep annoyingly loud.

Stan