Park Assist ATTN:Droid13

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Hybrid Head
Default Park Assist ATTN:Droid13

Hey could you tell us a little bit more about your park assist sensors.
Are they integrated to work with the Navi system? How much ? Self install or technician install?

Old 06-26-2006, 05:58 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Park Assist ATTN:Droid13

I had them put in by the dealer when I got the car, but I don't think they are terribly hard to install. It's simply 4 ultrasonic sensors with an auditory alert system. Each sensor has a 30 degree conical detection range of about 5ft. When you put it into reverse it beeps twice to indicate it's activated. Then it has 3 ranges of detection/warning. If it detects anything from 3 to 5 ft it beeps slowly, 18" to 3 ft it beeps quickly, and less than 18" it goes into a steady tone. It's not foolproof (the manual describes particular situations where it might not work, for example flag poles reflect sound waves to the side instead of back to the car), but so far it seems to work pretty good. I backed into the garage and the ranges were pretty accurate. It detected people walking behind the car while I was backing out of a mall parking spot. The car is so new I am of course being ultra cautious so I'm not giving the system a chance to save the day, but so far so good.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm interested in this option as well. Do they come colour match from Toyota? Where did the dealer install the beeper? Was there a factory location for it inside the vehicle?

Thx.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:39 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I think the system just uses the car's built in beeper. It sounds just like the car's other beeps in tone, loudness, and direction. I have no idea where the unit was installed, the only visible evidence of it's existance is the sensors on the bumper. It is offered as an available option right on the Toyota.ca web site and on the Camry brochure (Canadian version) so I assumed that while it may not be a true Toyota part, it has at least been designed to integrate well with the Camry systems and that appears to be the case. The sensors are black, but I've heard they can be painted to match body colour with minimal or no reduction in functionality (I read in the siennaclub.org forum about someone doing that). The surface of the sensor is just flat plastic, no holes or anything like that.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Looks and sounds like it functions identically to the Ford Escape Hybrid's with the "premium" package, which come with the rear proximity sensors (just beeps, like you describe), as well. It won't keep you from running over Jr's bicycle that's laying in the driveway, but it is useful when backing into the garage or a parking space and such.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:57 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Well, it can detect things lying on the ground, but not completely. If the object is low, it might detect it at the first range (3-5ft) but as you get closer the object gets too far below the sensor's field of vision (or hearing I guess) and will then stop warning you about it. So if Jr drops his bike right behind the car, your first warning is the crunch.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
I think the system just uses the car's built in beeper. It sounds just like the car's other beeps in tone, loudness, and direction. I have no idea where the unit was installed, the only visible evidence of it's existance is the sensors on the bumper. It is offered as an available option right on the Toyota.ca web site and on the Camry brochure (Canadian version) so I assumed that while it may not be a true Toyota part, it has at least been designed to integrate well with the Camry systems and that appears to be the case. The sensors are black, but I've heard they can be painted to match body colour with minimal or no reduction in functionality (I read in the siennaclub.org forum about someone doing that). The surface of the sensor is just flat plastic, no holes or anything like that.

You must be able to get the park assist in other colors from the dealer too. In the canadian brochure for the 2007 camry (pg 16) they have a picture of a silver camry with the park assist feature. The four little sensors on the back of the bumper are silver just like the car!

Old 06-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have park assist...actually called EchoMaster...I ordered it and Toyota installed it before I picked my car up. They come in black or color coded. I got black because it was $100 cheaper than color coded, plus they didn't have Jasper Peal anyway. The black was $395, color coded was $495. I've seen them on a lot of Lexus cars here, but of course, theirs are color coded..

There is a little black box mounted on the left hand corner of the rear window, above the back seat. I assumed the sound came from that black box, which has a control for loud or soft. You can hear it inside the car but not outside of the car (unless of course you have it set on loud and roll the rear window down).

I feel safer with these on, especially since people can't hear the car coming when you back up.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry my daughter who sits in the back seat said it's a round black circle thing not a black box and she confirmed that the beeps comes from that.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:54 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Out of curiosity I just spent 5 minutes crawling around the back of my Camry. I have no box or little round thing attached to my rear window or anywhere on the rear deck. In fact I still can't find any evidence of any device that is mounted anywhere in the open, and I'm still sticking to my feeling that my system uses the factory beeper. Maybe one day I'll set it off on steady tone and have a better listen to try to track down the original of the sound.

Quick Reply: Park Assist ATTN:Droid13

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands