Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Mysterious trunk door openings

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
Aliens in UFO's are doing it!!! LOL!!!
Darn EMF!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Mysterious trunk door openings

Hey so I found the thread I was looking for. I have had Numerous 'pocket-fob-press' experinces, from discovering my trunk open in a parking lot mysteriously one day, to having my car alarm go off at least 4-5 times now while I'm at home. Probably all due to the buttons being pressed in my pocket. I've discovered that whatever frequency the fob operates on it sure is sensitive and able to penetrate numerous walls to reach my TCH. .. Anyhow, does anyone know of a possible key-fob case type of thing? Even if I took the fob off my keyring it's still in a pocket full of stuff. Any ideas?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by talljetman2
Anyhow, does anyone know of a possible key-fob case type of thing? Even if I took the fob off my keyring it's still in a pocket full of stuff. Any ideas?
While not suitable for daily use, you could wrap it in tin foil. Any conductive metal, formed so that it fully wraps the transmitter, will stop the radio signal from getting out. I have used tin foil to wrap a transmitter when I had to leave it in the car at the beach, or to have the spare along on an extended trip. It works well.

A metal box, like an old cigarette case, might work for daily use. For that matter, any box that prevents the buttons from being pressed would probably serve the purpose just as well. If the buttons don't get pushed, the radio signal doesn't matter.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:30 PM

I don't see how the truck button could activate. It has to be held down for a few seconds to send the signal to open the trunk.

Like Steve says, shielding the transmitter should determine the problem. I have done some distance test on the door locks at night. Seems like about 200/250 feet is about maximum. Any walls would shorten that distance by half or more.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
I don't see how the truck button could activate. It has to be held down for a few seconds to send the signal to open the trunk.
You simply have to be lucky enough to find the right spot where the button is pressed and then not move. Very easy to do at work while sitting in front of a computer with other items in the pocket.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 02-24-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Veracitorian Muser

All you want is a key fob case with a thick or stiff enough cover over the fob buttons so that they can't be accidentally pressed when the fob is squeezed against other items in your pocket. The case should not be metal, so that the fob still works as a key without you needing to remove it from your pocket and the case just to use the car. You want the door handle unlock and the start function to work, but also want to disable the remote door and trunk and alarm functions that are activated from the fob buttons.

-- Alan

Old 02-23-2009, 01:50 PM

I put my key fob in my empty pants pocket. Anything else I carry is in the other pocket. So for I have never found the doors or trunk opened on my TCH, when I walk up to my car.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I recommend the purchase of the keyfob cover. I have them on both of my smartkeys. So far, no accidental unlock of the trunk.
Not only that, it protects the key from scratches, shock, and moisture too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...o#ht_618wt_858

I haven't had an accidental trunk unlock yet, but in the past month, the car alarm has gone off for no reason...(with RS3200 system installed)
Maybe it could be someone was trying to break into the car and the car detected the shock, I am not too sure...