Mudguards Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Malcontent
Default Re: Mudguards Yay or Nay

I got mine the day before the first snow. They've worked well and I don't think they look bad. The installation wasn't too difficult.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Does anyone think they might cause adverse effects on the car? For example, wheel wells usually take a beating and I really hate it when they start to rust and chip. Are the TCH wheel wells protected by plastic?

Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

The wheel wells (at least where the mudguards are attached) are mainly ABS style plastic (just like the fenders). You do not need to drill holes into any sheet metal.

This is as I remember from when I installed mine back around January:
On the front, you use a screw that is already on the car.

Other attachment points are made by drilling small holes into the ABS plastic wheel well area (front and back guards).
Attaching the rear guards was a pain because you had to drill a hole into the lip of the wheel well plastic by: 1) Removing rear wheel to get a straight perpendicular hole, or 2) leave wheel on and drill a hole at an angle. I chose door number 2. (Lazy and the hole only went through a thin piece of plastic. Thicker plastic/material and I would have gone with #1.)

Old 03-27-2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by JHSmith
The wheel wells (at least where the mudguards are attached) are mainly ABS style plastic (just like the fenders). You do not need to drill holes into any sheet metal.

This is as I remember from when I installed mine back around January:
On the front, you use a screw that is already on the car.

Other attachment points are made by drilling small holes into the ABS plastic wheel well area (front and back guards).
Attaching the rear guards was a pain because you had to drill a hole into the lip of the wheel well plastic by: 1) Removing rear wheel to get a straight perpendicular hole, or 2) leave wheel on and drill a hole at an angle. I chose door number 2. (Lazy and the hole only went through a thin piece of plastic. Thicker plastic/material and I would have gone with #1.)
Thanks John. Do you know if when you pull the wheel of there is a possibility of problems with the tire pressure monitoring system?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Thanks John. Do you know if when you pull the wheel of there is a possibility of problems with the tire pressure monitoring system?
No problem with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). The TPMS is wireless (sensor mounted INSIDE the tire -- actually part of the stem). Only concerns that you should have w/ TPMS are:
1) Except in an extreme emergency, DO NOT use a tire sealant compound (like FIX-A-FLAT) cause it may much up (yeah, standard industry word) the sensor.
2) Make sure that when/if the tire (rubber part vice metal rim/wheel assembly) is removed, the person removing the tire is aware that there is a TPMS installed and DO NOT let them just rip the stem off the rim (like is normally done). Doing so WILL destroy the TPMS sensor.
I hope this puts you mind at ease.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by JHSmith
No problem with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). The TPMS is wireless (sensor mounted INSIDE the tire -- actually part of the stem). Only concerns that you should have w/ TPMS are:
1) Except in an extreme emergency, DO NOT use a tire sealant compound (like FIX-A-FLAT) cause it may much up (yeah, standard industry word) the sensor.
2) Make sure that when/if the tire (rubber part vice metal rim/wheel assembly) is removed, the person removing the tire is aware that there is a TPMS installed and DO NOT let them just rip the stem off the rim (like is normally done). Doing so WILL destroy the TPMS sensor.
I hope this puts you mind at ease.
Sure does...thanks John.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I originally said no, it messes with the clean look, you guys planted a seed in my head and my last 97 Camry came with them, so I ordered a set from the supplier link further down. After being shipped somebody elses seat covers, I got my order and had them installed yesterday (1/2 hours labor). I still think they mess with the clean look of the car, I probally will not even notice them in a couple of weeks. I hope they are durable, they are rigid plastic, the last 97 Camry I had the were more rubberized.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:34 AM

I purchased mine last weekend and received them yesterday. I plan to put them on this weekend (weather permitting). They look nice and they are painted very well. I was concerned about the look but in NY with all the crap on the roads I figured it would be worth it. (Especially when I got to see what was stuck to my car after a small snow storm two weeks ago.)

I will eventually get some pictures up.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LouBeck
I originally said no, it messes with the clean look, you guys planted a seed in my head and my last 97 Camry came with them, so I ordered a set from the supplier link further down. After being shipped somebody elses seat covers, I got my order and had them installed yesterday (1/2 hours labor). I still think they mess with the clean look of the car, I probally will not even notice them in a couple of weeks. I hope they are durable, they are rigid plastic, the last 97 Camry I had the were more rubberized.
You'll get used to them. 1. They actually make a car look lower when viewed from the rear. 2. The clean look you want is destroyed by the mud on your rocker panels from not having the guards. 3. Say goodbye to many gravel chips along then bottom of your car. This is a "must have" accessory on every car since '85, they looked bad back then. I had to remove the red reflectors. LOL

Old 12-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mudguards NEED HELP!!!!!!

New Here and Need Help...Dealer where I am buying hybrid from will NOT sell me nor install mudguards. States they should NOT be put on the hybrid..something about sensors and wind flow blah blah blah and they harm the car!!!!!!!!!!Whats that about?????

Quick Reply: Mudguards Yay or Nay

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands