Buy an 09 TCH? Selling an 07 TCH...what are your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buy an 09 TCH? Selling an 07 TCH...what are your thoughts

Originally Posted by roseng
I think the stats don't tell the whole story....
They never do!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by jhfarr73
Ok here is the deal...my wife is a Pharma rep and drives a ton...we got the first 2007 TCH that arrived in our town back in June of 2006. Since then she has put >70,000 trouble free miles on the car...but we are getting to the point where more miles will harm resale and at 90,000 she has to get a new car by company rules.

So we are looking at new cars and of course the 09 TCH is on the list...but should it be? The car is now rated at 33/34 rather than the 40/38 the 07 was...is this simply the new EPA rating or is there a functional difference? We have averaged nearly 37 mpg in the 70k we have driven and recently that number has been higher. We want those kinds of numbers not 34 mpg highway.

Dealer says there are no deals...Toyota is cutting back TCH production so that they can allocate the batteries to the Prius production line...so less cars equals we pay sticker...they also lowballed us on a trade in so I am thinking of going to a different dealer.

Talk to me...are we back to paying sticker for the TCH?

Any insight here would be great. Thanks
Given your position, I would sell the TCH private party and buy a new car. I would not wait till near the 90,000 mark because with gas price trends, we are about to see a drop in prices. I have been tracking the price of gas, and we are right at the top of the cycle I have seen for the last few years. If you wait unitl you are near the 90,000 miles, we will be at the bottom of the price cycle and starting the upward climb again.

When we are at the top of the cycle people freak out and sell their suv's and trucks for fuel efficient cars. Then when the prices fall they sell their cars and buy suv's and truack again.

If you want to sell a FE vehicle now is the time. If you wnat to buy a suv or truck, now is the time.

If you wnat to buy a FE vehicle, January is the time as the fuel cost hit the bottom there. If you want to sell a suv or truck, January is the time as fuel prices are at the bottom of the curve.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by skywagon
90K on the clock is going to get you a real low $ amount due to the complex nature of this car. At 90K it will need a lot of TLC to keep it going and people in the know realize this. Good luck!!!
What type of TLC will these vehicles need after 90,000?

I have not heard of any special treatment they will need after 90,000 miles.

I currently have just over 63,000 on the ODO, and don't see the car needing any additional special maintenace so far. I just change the oil every 5,000 miles and the air filters every 20,000 miles.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The EPA ratings are supposed to be more accurate as a day to day driving average. We have an '08 TCH and it is getting 40 MPG consistantly, I would not let the new EPA rating worry you.