10,000 mile service....Your Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default 10,000 mile service....Your Thoughts?

We have a 2009 TCH that is just hitting 10,000. At 5,000 I decided to start using Mobile 1 Filter and 0-20 Mobile 1 oil (at my local Mobil service station).......I did not have my tires rotated then. I have never used the synthetic Mobile 1 oil before. At 10,000 miles should I just rotate my tires......or do you think the oil needs changed too. I am just not familiar with a "normal" interval for oil changes with the synthetics.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 10,000 mile service....Your Thoughts?

5000 miles for oil and tires
it's all in the manual

Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MplsTCH
We have a 2009 TCH that is just hitting 10,000. At 5,000 I decided to start using Mobile 1 Filter and 0-20 Mobile 1 oil (at my local Mobil service station).......I did not have my tires rotated then. I have never used the synthetic Mobile 1 oil before. At 10,000 miles should I just rotate my tires......or do you think the oil needs changed too. I am just not familiar with a "normal" interval for oil changes with the synthetics.
Even though the oil might still have substantial useful life, to comply with the letter of the warranty you must follow the prescribed scheduled. Every 5000 miles you are to change the oil, rotate the tires, and check the brakes. Some intervals (such as the 15000) have other items as well.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

We just did an oil change on our RXh and switched to Toyota/Lexus 0w20 synth at 11k.

I asked the service guy if 11k was too early to switch to all-synth. I don't remember his exact words, but have the impression he thought 10k would be about the right time. I'm wondering if 5k was too soon? If the engine wasn't fully broken in yet?

I asked the service guy if we were allowed more miles between changes when running synthetic. He replied that up to 7500 miles would *not* be considered abuse (for warranty purposes,) but 10k would. Said with the all-synth, the filter becomes the limiting factor. (No I didn't get it in writing.)

Also had 'em put in a block heater. Next project is to see just how much that is warming the engine and if it actually shortens the time before the car begins using its hybrid-mode.

Benton 5jan09

Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Benton,

You can change to synthetic oil on the dealers lot before you take it home for the first time. There are a LOT of engines filled with synthetic from the factory. 30 years ago the oil was different as were the engines. There were problems back then but I have not heard about ANYTHING concerning breakin problems and synthetic oil in the past 20 years or so.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

One reason for the service interval recommendations is that a byproduct of the combustion process is sulfuric acid, which will go into the oil. This will be 'cooked out' if the vehicle is run long enough to fully warm up the engine (usually said to be around 8 - 11 miles, but will vary by vehicle). The acid itself will degrade the oil and its' additives over time anyhow, so it must be changed regularly for that reason. It will also etch the metal of the engine itself, causing problems such as decreased area of contact on bearing surfaces, which will increase heat and wear, with predictable results.

This is why we have both mileage and time recommendations for oil changes, due to the breakdown of the oil from both mechanical and chemical "wear" of the oil.

The intervals are educated guesses based on statistical analyses for 'average' conditions. There are vehicles that are capable of much longer intervals, due to running conditions, rather than mechanical ones. These vehicles are the types that are started, then run continuously for extended times, such as long haul trucks, cabs, etc..

Just trying to add some info to the mix.
Scott

Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

Originally Posted by RadioTek
The intervals are educated guesses based on statistical analyses for 'average' conditions. There are vehicles that are capable of much longer intervals, due to running conditions, rather than mechanical ones. These vehicles are the types that are started, then run continuously for extended times, such as long haul trucks, cabs, etc..
Scott
Actually my 06' BMW 530I only uses synthetic and came that way new from the factory. It automatically senses when it needs a change. First oil change was about 17,000 miles, next one at 36,000, and again at 50,000. 60K miles on it now and only 3 oil changes so far. (The warranty covers oil changes till 50k miles.) Mixed SoCal driving, nothing special.
Not educated guesses at all, just advanced engineering. Even though the recommended change is 5,000 I think it's a ridiculous waste with synth. I'll still use it though.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
You can change to synthetic oil on the dealers lot before you take it home for the first time. There are a LOT of engines filled with synthetic from the factory.
I understood that is true of engines that are broken in by the mfg'r, but I don't know what make/models that would pertain to. If I'm mistaken, I'll try to not repeat it again.

Benton 6jan09

Old 01-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Benton,

Any modern engine is assembled using tolerances that were unheard off just 15 years ago. It make no difference with any of the domestic, asian or european engines from a major builder whether you use synthetic or not. My Camry as well as the 3 Hondas and 3 Fords in the family have all been switched to synthectic at the 2,500 mile mark and have been run with it since.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Benton
Also had 'em put in a block heater. Next project is to see just how much that is warming the engine and if it actually shortens the time before the car begins using its hybrid-mode.

Benton 5jan09
Wow Benton, I know you guys just got a ton of snow over the Holidays, but does it really get cold enough you needed to put in a block heater? My aunt and uncle were snowed in for a week, but that's the exception, not the rule!

I guess with global warming, anything's possible! Let us know your results (I'd imagine it'd be worth it if you lived in, say, Montana!).

Quick Reply: 10,000 mile service....Your Thoughts?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands