Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Originally Posted by boydwaters
Wow, thanks very much! I thought it was a bit tough, but your comments make me feel a bit less silly to get stuck like that!

So here's a question -- the pins from the CD-ROM cable have a catch that engages the body of the connector, to keep the pins in place.

If the row of pins that we're supposed to put the pins into is on the "bottom" on the connector (as in the illustration), are the catches for the pins on the "top" or the "bottom"?

I jammed them in there on the "top" -- that is, on the pin-1 side of the connector. But in looking at the connector, it isn't obvious. There seems to be a slot for an offset catch for the pins on the "bottom" rather than the "top".

The connector can be ordered from AMP/TYCO, but I don't know the part number -- however, I think that female, 24-gauge wire pins are available here:
http://www.surplussales.com/Images/C...c-350537-1.jpg
http://www.surplussales.com/Computer...connect-2.html

That's part # 350537, they cost fifteen cents. I haven't tried ordering these...

"Top" or "bottom"? THANKS!
Has anybody ordered these pins? Has anybody used these pins?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information on the backup camera. I just wanted to clarify one thing. The connectors you take from the CD-ROM - are these from the
1. Power Plug (4 large pins)
2. Audio plug (goes from the CD-ROM to the sound card - small pins)
3. Parallel cable (doubtful)

The picture isn't clear and I wanted to confirm this.

Thanks,

Bruce

Old 06-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

The CD-ROM wires on the small audio plug has the right sized connectors.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

I've never soldered anything before, is there any other way to connect the audio cable to the camera wires?

I'm looking at the CD audio wires and they're pretty thin...

Old 06-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Tom,

I can understand your concerns about soldering the wires if you have never done that before.

Any auto store or even a Radio Shack will have crimp-on connectors that will also work. They are simply metal tubes open on each end, and convered with plastic insulation. You can insert the wires in each end and use a crimping tool to secure the wires in the tube. The tool is also available where you buy the connectors. A few points to keep in mind:
  • Be sure to get the connectors suitable for 24 gauge wire. (It's pretty thin.)
  • When you strip the insulation off the end of the wires be careful not to take too many strands of the wire off too.
  • Tug firmly on the wire after you've crimped the connector to ensure a good solid connection.
Have fun with it!

Robin

Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rfranzel
Tom,

I can understand your concerns about soldering the wires if you have never done that before.

Any auto store or even a Radio Shack will have crimp-on connectors that will also work. They are simply metal tubes open on each end, and convered with plastic insulation. You can insert the wires in each end and use a crimping tool to secure the wires in the tube. The tool is also available where you buy the connectors. A few points to keep in mind:
  • Be sure to get the connectors suitable for 24 gauge wire. (It's pretty thin.)
  • When you strip the insulation off the end of the wires be careful not to take too many strands of the wire off too.
  • Tug firmly on the wire after you've crimped the connector to ensure a good solid connection.
Have fun with it!

Robin
Thank you for the help!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

I want to thank all that have posted information about their installation process, it made mine very easy. I just finished installing it today. It works great, I only wish I had installed it sooner. I did have one small problem, the pins had to be pushed in much harder than I thought in order for them to engage. Thanks again to all, great people on this forum!

Old 06-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

I also installed mine last night. It was very straightforward because of the information here. Thanks!

I found the pins had no problem going in when I used a small screwdriver (the size you would use on a pair of glasses). I put the pins in and then pushed on the back end of each pin. They engaged very easily.

Again, thanks everyone!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

After reading through the postings here, I decided to order the camera today. I ordered an "Outlet" version of the BEC106. With free shipping, it was just a few dollars more than the eBay ones. AND...You can't beat Crutchfield's support!!

While I'm waiting for the shipment, I'll be visiting my PC boneyard and looking for a CD Rom cable.

I figure the install can't be too bad. I already have taken the Nav unit out to install a iPod interface and I've had the back half of the interior apart to reroute my XM antenna.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

UPS delivered my camera at 2:30....I was done with the insatll at 5:30. Thanks for all the documentation posted here!!

Quick Reply: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands