Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Originally Posted by tnsig
Thanks Jag...you had mentioned in the DIY that you needed some wires from an old computer. What did you use those for?
Walt (MickeysPal) answered this precisely when he said "jagbagri installed his camera without using the "Y" cable. He used 4 wires that he removed from an old computer CD-ROM cable and spliced to the wires in the camera cable. He then inserted the 4 wires into the existing R10 connector."

Those 4 wires were removed from the cd-rom cable for the pins. I soldered those wires from the 4 camera wires and those pins connect right into the R10 connector as shown in the picture above.

Jag

Old 01-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ham
jagbagri,

One more question for you, when you tried to get the camera to display while in drive, did you try going to the service screen and enabling the overide that allows you to manipulate the nav system while driving?

I am wondering wether if the camera is supplying video to the nav and the nav is in overide the nav system will display the camera video despite being in drive.

Thanks again for your time and experimentation,
Ham
Most of the time the camera comes on right after you start and put the car in reverse, before you are driving forward and use the over-ride. But I have tried the override first and then backup and YES, the camera still works, comes on as normal and the NAV is still in override mode.

Jag

Old 01-21-2007, 06:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jagbagri
Walt (MickeysPal) answered this precisely when he said "jagbagri installed his camera without using the "Y" cable. He used 4 wires that he removed from an old computer CD-ROM cable and spliced to the wires in the camera cable. He then inserted the 4 wires into the existing R10 connector."

Those 4 wires were removed from the cd-rom cable for the pins. I soldered those wires from the 4 camera wires and those pins connect right into the R10 connector as shown in the picture above.

Jag

Thanks Jag...right about know I wish I still lived in the Bay Area

Old 01-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hi All,

Just wanted to publicy thank Jag for giving up his Saturday afternoon to help me install the back up camera into my Camry. He's an extremely gracious guy and I feel fortunate to have met him through this forum.

Some observations that we had while doing the install. If you are going to use Jag's method of splicing wires obtained from an old cd-rom cable to put into the R10 connector, make sure that the wires that you use are pretty stiff and are not floppy. We initially took four wires from the same cd-rom cable but two of them proved too limp to push into the R10 connector. We could get them partially in but they would end up bending before hitting the bottom of the connector. Tried using a straightend paper clip to push the wires down to no avail. We ended up redoing the connections with some stiffer wires. It also helps a lot if you have an extra pair of hands when mounting wires into the R10 connector as it's a pretty tight squeeze and you've got your nav screen hovering over an exposed shift lever (see Jag's pictures at the beginning of the post)

Two other points regarding the splicing of the wires.

First, make sure that you leave enough of the cable exposed outside the shrink tubing (Once again, see Jag's picture of the completed R10 connector. Remember that you're going to have to push the cables all the way down the connector until they engage. We intially tried doing them one at a time but ended up sticking all four in at once and pushing them down.

Second, make sure that you have some sort of way to mark the cables. In our situation we had two red and two white cables. Unless you're lucky engough to get a cd-rom cable that has the same color wires as the cameras, you'll have to mark them before the heat shirinking covers up the cameras wires. We ended up using some paint that Jag had in his garage. In hindsight it would have been great to have some colored electricians tape or a label maker to save us some time.

Thanks again Jag and sorry for the long post all.

Mark

Old 01-22-2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by markn
Hi All,

Just wanted to publicy thank Jag for giving up his Saturday afternoon to help me install the back up camera into my Camry. He's an extremely gracious guy and I feel fortunate to have met him through this forum.

Some observations that we had while doing the install. If you are going to use Jag's method of splicing wires obtained from an old cd-rom cable to put into the R10 connector, make sure that the wires that you use are pretty stiff and are not floppy. We initially took four wires from the same cd-rom cable but two of them proved too limp to push into the R10 connector. We could get them partially in but they would end up bending before hitting the bottom of the connector. Tried using a straightend paper clip to push the wires down to no avail. We ended up redoing the connections with some stiffer wires. It also helps a lot if you have an extra pair of hands when mounting wires into the R10 connector as it's a pretty tight squeeze and you've got your nav screen hovering over an exposed shift lever (see Jag's pictures at the beginning of the post)

Two other points regarding the splicing of the wires.

First, make sure that you leave enough of the cable exposed outside the shrink tubing (Once again, see Jag's picture of the completed R10 connector. Remember that you're going to have to push the cables all the way down the connector until they engage. We intially tried doing them one at a time but ended up sticking all four in at once and pushing them down.

Second, make sure that you have some sort of way to mark the cables. In our situation we had two red and two white cables. Unless you're lucky engough to get a cd-rom cable that has the same color wires as the cameras, you'll have to mark them before the heat shirinking covers up the cameras wires. We ended up using some paint that Jag had in his garage. In hindsight it would have been great to have some colored electricians tape or a label maker to save us some time.

Thanks again Jag and sorry for the long post all.

Mark
Thanks for the follow up Mark. That is some very useful information.

Thanks Jag for helping fellow boardmembers out.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast

Does anyone have a picture of this 'y' cable (toycam interface)?? Or a part number or something. I am having difficulty finding anything on google. I probably am at fault. . so more information about this device would be good.

Is using the 'y' cable the easiest way of performing this upgrade?

Thanks
Bob

Old 01-25-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by bobbywalnuts
Does anyone have a picture of this 'y' cable (toycam interface)?? Or a part number or something. I am having difficulty finding anything on google. I probably am at fault. . so more information about this device would be good.

Is using the 'y' cable the easiest way of performing this upgrade?

Thanks
Bob
Bob your best bet is going to use the method is this DIY. If you don't want to DIY then purchase all the parts and explain to the tech how it's done. I've tried to find the 'y' cable with no luck. I even called eclipse to see if they sold it or if they knew how to get it...No luck.

If you run across it please let us know.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this link. . . some good info:

http://www.oemvalue.com/installcamry07.htm#pluglayout

Old 01-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

Bob,
I agree with tnsig. The DIY listed here is probably the best way to go, especially if you're having difficulties finding the Y cable. If you have basic wire stripping and soldering skills, the splicing of the audio cable to the camera wire is not that difficult. Feel free to PM me is you have any detailed questions about the install. Since Jag helped me install my camera, I feel I should turn around and help another member out.

Mark

Old 02-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast

Hey everyone,

Just finished my rear camera install, and I just wanted to come right over here and thank jagbagri and everyone else who have contributed to this post. I have very little experience installing in cars and this walkthrough took me every step of the way. The only bit of advice I can pass on to the next guy, is that "all CD ROM audio cables are not equal."

The first set I used was off my wife's defunct "ProGen super value PC". Depinned. Soldered. Shrink wrapped. Went out to the icy cold garage. Spent hours on and off trying to get those ****ed pins in there. The were infinitessamly (sp) too big. They fit in the hole just fine but stopped about halfway down the connector. I originally thought the wires were too floppy. I gave up.

Went down to my Dell. Pillaged another connector. Cut. Depinned. Soldered. Shrink wrapped. The wires off the Dell actually seemed floppier, but the connectors looked barely smaller. Like I needed my wife and her brand new eyeglasses to tell they were smaller. Went out to the now colder garage and got all four pins in about 1 minute with no effort at all.

Moral to the story; Although the pins looked the same, they weren't. So if you are having trouble getting them in, it might be the actual pins.

Thanks again to all,
Mark

Quick Reply: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands