VIN etch, worthy??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: VIN etch, worthy??

When I bought my certified HCH 1 the windows were already etched. Salesman and I agreed to a price, which I was going to pay with cash, no financing. So I'm reading over the last papers with the finance guy and see the ubiquitous "VIN etching" charge on there for $300. I asked him why this was on there as an extra, and he went on about how handy and safe it is to have, etc. Then I told him I'm not going to pay that for something I can do myself for $30 at home and said I'm leaving. He got on the phone with the manager and explained what was happening. Soon the manager was in there trying the same spiel on me, but I held ground, got up, said no thanks, and started to walk out. He changed his mind and crossed it off the paper and initialed it, then I was good to go with my car.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: VIN etch, worthy??

Hi- I worked for a dealer and your etch is techinally "not activated". Yes the numbers are etched on the vehicle, but if the car is stolen, you will not receive any benefits that the etch policy would have paid you. It kinda goes along with the post that the dealer is not selling the etch, but rather a insurance policy. Over the years, I have seen it benefit some people, but just like anything else it is the chance you take with insurance. You may use it, you may not! I am glad to hear your dealer was upfront and honest with you! Happy Driving!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Hybrid Neophyte
Thumbs down Re: VIN etch, worthy??

I actually had the "business manager" (just the final salesman we had to deal with) try to sell us on it also. Only HIS spiel was that the WINDOW glass was what was attractive to the thieves. I just laughed and told him that if my windows were stolen, I would get them replaced using the insurance that I already had. Thank you very little.