VIN etch, worthy??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast
Question VIN etch, worthy??

I'll be picking up my Civic Saturday after putting a deposit a couple days ago.
The guy told me I could refuse/decline the VIN etch when I pickup the car if I wanted to.

Now the question: I see some vehicles already come with this etching thing, so what's the chance of me saying that I don't want this and that the car will already have it in the windows?

Does someone know how this works? I was told that CT forces dealers to offer this but that it is up to the buyer to get it or refuse it.

Comments please, I need to be ready for Saturday.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: VIN etch, worthy??

I can't speak for CT. But I know some things about it in general.

I believe the etching that dealers offer is more insurance than actual physical etching of characters and digits into a window and frame. Insurance that will pay you if the vehicle is stolen, or maybe offers a reward if it's found (listen closely to what they tell you the benefits of it are). It's sort of like buying a sports helmet, the helmet manufacturer has costs of $20 to cover manufacturing, shipping, etc. The remaining $80 (for a $100 helmet) goes to an insurance fund to cover future claims and losses.

From that perspective, the issue I see with etching is you already pay for insurance to cover theft. Why do it again, and from a dealer, and disguised as etching. And if it was so beneficial, you'd see the auto insurance companies give you line item discounts off your rates for having this, the kind you see described as 5% discount for for passive restraint systems, or anti-lock breaks, or whatever.

Think of it another way, can you take the amount you pay for etching and get equivalent or better insurance coverage elsewhere? I'd also ask the dealer selling you this, how any claims they have paid out, and do they administer the policy, or do they sell if off to some nameless/facelsss company that you don't who they are, where they are, or how helpful they are five years after you you purchase the so-called etching?

One more thing. I've been in auto assembly plants in the mid 90s. Even back then they did what was called VIN stamping, they forcibly stamp the vin number into the frame (when most vehicles were make on frames) in a place where it was almost impossible to see without taking apart some of the body panels. I always heard this was a fed govt requirement, because even back in th mid 90s, they had a camera that recorded the stamped vin # just to document that they did it on each vehicle. So I have to think that still occurs on to this day, and probably the feds make then do it in more than one spot on the body or frame nowadays.

My two cents.

Last edited by Coal Miner; 03-05-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinner
Etching is a cash cow for dealerships. Their markup on the service can be 800%. If you want to have it done, try buying the service directly from the suppliers, because dealerships do not do this themselves; The dealership usually finds it easier to get all incoming inventory etched/stickered and to just waive the cost to those customers who refuse it. I don't know about Connecticut law, but in Ontario it is illegal to force this on customers (it's tied-selling).

Having indicators of etching on your car (an indicator label is applied to the front side windows) could be enough to prevent it being a target for a chop shop.

Rust protection from the dealership is another cash cow. If you want it, go to the service providers directly.
Never heard of it being offered in Calif. If the car is stolen and winds up in a chop shop, well - kiss it good bye. I think that, irrespective of whether or not the glass is etched, if they want the car, they'll take it if conditions are good for the theft. You've got insurance that should cover it.

Check with your local cops. See what they think of the deal.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

thanks much guys, the other question is about this: the sales guy told me I can have this charge removed when I pickup the car......so I don't understand something here, if this etching is done elsewhere (acid imprinted into every glass of the car) then they won't have time to get it done in the car, meaning that maybe this printing is ALREADY in the car by DEFAULT but you're not obligated to pay for it, but yet they try to collect the money.

So what's the chance of me refusing to pay and get this removed from the sale, but yet the vin etch is already applied to the car??

Old 03-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

You're in complete control and it's your money until you hand the dealer the check. So don't hand 'em the check until everything is exactly as you want it. Including the etching. Always go and visually inspect the car before you hand 'em the check.

It varies in different states, but the $1k deposit is the indication of a contractual agreement between you and the dealer. And state commercial laws and regulations govern this, rather specifically. The sales people will tell you anything to make it seem like you cannot get the deposit back. Not living in Calif, I'd say be careful of what they say, because it ain't always so.

Edit: California seems pretty strict, looks like you cannot get back the deposit: http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr26.htm

However, you still hold the upper hand, they have $1000 of your money, but you still have $20-30,000 they want. Get the etching removed from the sales price. If they won't, then tell them the pricing is not what you agreed to, and therefore the no “cooling off period" is no applcable because they aren't honoring their end of the agreeement, and hand over the deposit. A similated call to the Calif Attorney General's consumer complaint office migt work well at this point.

Last edited by Coal Miner; 03-06-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Strict
Old 03-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

thanks much guys, I didn't pay for it, it was optional even though the "etching" is already done to the car, go figure......

Old 03-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Glad you closed this out. I was going to pot and ask for an update. Want to tel us any of the 'tall tales' they were telling you to get you to buy the etching?

Old 03-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast

actually since day the sales guy told me up-front it was my choice to get it or not, the state of CT "requires" dealer to offer this to the buyer, but it's up to the buyer to get or decline.

What makes me wonder is what's this about, I didn't pay for it but my car has it........go figure....lol

Old 03-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by geek
actually since day the sales guy told me up-front it was my choice to get it or not, the state of CT "requires" dealer to offer this to the buyer, but it's up to the buyer to get or decline.

What makes me wonder is what's this about, I didn't pay for it but my car has it........go figure....lol
That sounds like the CT state car dealers and sales association has been doing some effective lobbying and/or campaign contributing.

Kinda like in Pennsylvania where it's 'illegal' for banks to pay interest on business checking accounts, or where in New Jersey it's 'against the law' to pump your own gas, an attendant has to do it for you. The organizations stat ethese things as of they never had a hand influencing the legislature and the state politicians.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If anyone wants the VIN etched into their widows, don't pay the dealer. I used www.vinetcher.com three times now and have been happy with their product every time. $20 is all it costs for their kit, and the instructions are easy to follow. Should only take 20-40 mins, depending on how slowly (carefully) you do the job.

Quick Reply: VIN etch, worthy??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands