Old Marketplace Archive This section is closed to new listings.

Is 2010 BMW ActiveHybrid X6 worthy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Is 2010 BMW ActiveHybrid X6 worthy?

It is one of the most unusual vehicles currently available on the hybrid market. While most other full-size hybrid sport-utility vehicles are oriented towards using their battery-powered electric engines to help ease the pain felt at the pump by owners of these heavy automobiles, the ActiveHybrid X6 instead focuses purely on putting performance first.

It is clear that acceleration and overall speed are the order of the day when peering under the hood of the 2010 BMW ActiveHybrid X6. Each version of the vehicle comes equipped with a turbocharged, 4.4-liter V8 engine that generates 400 horsepower all on its own. When combined with the two battery-powered motors nestled inside the SUV’s transmission, the ActiveHybrid X6’s total output increases to an astounding 480 horsepower and 575 lb-ft of torque.
Given that this combined output is sent to all four wheels through an all-wheel drive system, it is perhaps no surprise that the vehicle’s fuel mileage is listed as being under 20 miles per gallon for both the city and highway measures. However, it does make at least some effort to wring additional efficiency out of its gasoline / electric setup, as its continuously-variable automatic transmission is capable of providing several different virtual gear ratios that balance controlled shifting with the judicious assistance of the electric motors incorporated into the unit. The X6 also makes use of the benefits of regenerative braking to recharge the vehicle’s battery. The heavy SUV can even travel for a distance of up to 1.6 miles on battery power alone, at speeds approaching 40 miles per hour.
With all of that power, combined with BMW’s performance acumen, the ActiveHybrid X6 is one of the most rewarding hybrid sport-utility vehicles to drive. It can churn out a 0 to 60 miles per hour time of just 5.2 seconds and eat up the quarter mile in 14 seconds flat on its way to a top speed of 130 miles per hour. Very few gasoline / electric SUV’s can even approach these numbers.

2010 BMW ActiveHybrid X6
MSRP: $88,900
Estimated MPG: 17 city / 19 highway
Class: Full-size SUV

source: http://www.hybridsuv.com/bmw-activeh...ice-mpg-review

Last edited by GreenBoy; 07-09-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Is 2010 BMW ActiveHybrid X6 worthy?

I would rather have the porsche cayenne hybrid for that price. loaded it is only $86K.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
I would rather have the porsche cayenne hybrid for that price. loaded it is only $86K.
you have a point there. I am still thinking about it actually.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
Since the BMW is a cousin of the GM 2 Mode is still has four (4) real gears. They software created three (3) more virtual gear ratios. Add this to all the Electrically Variable ones in your 2 mode truck and it's a pretty cool package.

My bet the Beemer will tow better but who buys these things to tow?