Tinting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast
Question Tinting Questions

I am the proud new owner of an HCH II in Florida. As you might imagine it gets pretty hot here when the hurricanes arent rolling through and I want to minimize my A/C usage for the gas mileage. I was wondering if installing aftermarket tinting would noticeably decrease the cabin temp vs. the tinting that came on the car. Does anyone have any specs on the factory tinting?

Old 10-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tinting Questions

I had mine done right after I bought it. Tinting does decrease the heat in the cabin.

As far as "factory" tinting, I don't think Honda offers "factory" tinting? Your dealer might offer it. My dealer does not tint any vehicle leaving his lot. Here in Calif. the laws are kinda strange regarding tinting, so he just won't do it.

I had mine done by a friend of mine who used to be in the business and he did a wonderful job.

Howard

Old 10-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Vegetarian

I had my windows tinted after almost a year having my HCH. I'm from FL too, I got 30% all the way around. I could have legally gone darker in the back, but I thought it would look weird to have two different tints. I also didn't get the banner across the top, my sister got it in her car, and driving around with her, it made me a little sick... plus I don't like the way it looks. It does make a difference in temp, especially when the sun is shining right on you, but, depending on where in FL you are, it won't keep you cool enough to not use the AC at all. What I usually do is have the fan on and if it gets too hot, I put the AC on for a little while, preferably while coasting to a stop, then the fan will blow cold for a little bit. Or if it's not too hot out side, or too sunny I have the windows down.
The only thing I know about factory tint is my mom's CR-V has it, I was under the impression it actually came from the factory that way. Though, I imagine some dealers might do it. I would say call up your Honda dealer to see if they do it, or they might have a shop they recommend. Also try to find other people that you know with tinted windows and find out where they got it done. Make sure where ever you go uses a single piece of tint for each window (not multiple pieces), and offers a lifetime warranty.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replys. I think all HCH IIs come with tinting built into the glass (not sure about HCH Is) . Take a look at the HCH exterior features:

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...rid&Category=4

I was wondering if additional tinting would add very much to the factory tinting. Maybe Ill call a dealer and ask them the specs.

Thanks again!

Old 10-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My spouse's HCH2 did not come with any factory tinting (at least none that was discernible). Both that car and my HCH1 got aftermarket tinting within a few weeks of purchase, as dark as the law allows on all windows. And it does make a difference, not only in cabin temp but also on upholstery. Just make sure you use a windshield reflector as well (the HCH2 requires about the largest one available).