Tinting questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:50 PM
HypoFueler
Default Tinting questions

Looking at tinting my HCH2 - part for looks, part for family trips and dont want to bake the family in the sun.

Had a few questions for those who know about this and/or have had it done on their HCH:

1. Tints - in Ohio, front windows limited to 50% min. Thinking of doing it all 50% tint except windshield.
2. Stay away from metallic tints which interfere with any electronics?
3. Local (Honda East) service Dept. would not reccomend any local shops - they say the rear window tinting interferes with defroster/PCU(?) sensors. Is this BS?
4. Any Columbus Ohio area shops, quotes you would reccomend?
5. Anything else important to consider.

Thanks - have a good holiday weekend

Carl

Old 05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tinting questions

1. 50% isn't much, but if you want to be legal you'll have to stick with that. I have 33% on the 4 doors/rear on my STi and I think that's as dark as I'd go. I had 20% on other cars and it wasn't toooo dark, but sometimes at night I wish it was a bit lighter. I'm not even sure what the tint laws are around here, but most states say between 75-50 is as dark as you can go on the front windows.

2. There are plenty of non-metallic tints, stay away from the metallics if you can. They will cause issues if you use electronics like a hand held gps, etc.

3. I've never heard of tint interfering with a rear defroster before. What is the PCU sensor (sorry, i'm lazy and don't feel like looking it up)

5. Get it installed by a shop that has been around for a while and where you can see some of their work. Make sure they offer a lifetime warranty on their work.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

For my rear window, I added this rear power shade to my HCHII. It works great. You can raise and lower it from the drivers seat, works on batteries, and is easy to install. It helps with the sun down here in Tucson, AZ.

http://www.myautoshades.com/ProductD...8&CategoryID=3

Have a great Holiday!

Pete

Old 05-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do you want the ABSOLUTE BEST?

Find an installer who uses Huber Optik tint. It's a ceramic variety and we use it in Phoenix to cut interior heat for the 115 degree days.

My boss has it on all his family's BLACK cars, and those cars are cooler inside than just about every other car in town.

I've had it on my last three vehicles, including my 2004 HCH, and it's Da Bomb.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Do you want the ABSOLUTE BEST?

Find an installer who uses Huber Optik tint. It's a ceramic variety and we use it in Phoenix to cut interior heat for the 115 degree days.
What is the legal tint in AZ? I was just there 3 weeks ago to visit family and I noticed that a lot of cars had 5-10%.

I don't know how you guys handle it...it wasn't even summer heat yet and I was ready to leave as soon as I got there

Old 05-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Arizona Window Tint Law
Arizona Tint Law Enacted: 1994
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN ARIZONA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Arizona, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 33% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN ARIZONA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
Front Side Windows Must not be more than 35% reflective.
Back Side Windows Must not be more than 35% reflective.

OTHER ARIZONA RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
3. Local (Honda East) service Dept. would not reccomend any local shops - they say the rear window tinting interferes with defroster/PCU(?) sensors. Is this BS?
Yes, it is. Both of our rear windows are tinted, and the defrosters work just fine.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I live in AZ and went Limo all the way around. They can not and will not pull you over the tint. But they can find another reasson to do so. My dad was a copy for over 20 years in AZ and never gave a ticket for this.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:37 AM
HypoFueler

Thanks to all for insights.

problem now is driver side windo coming off track/cocked - taking it in for a second time

Any chance the extra window tint film will make it that much more difficult for the auto up/down windosw to function or void warranty for repairing it?

I spent $3 for a collapsible front screen and some back side window screens - still unsure of commiting $200 to tinting unless its worth it and not a hassle down the road.

Thanks Again.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:45 AM
HOV lane commuter

Within the first week of purchasing a car, I always head to a tint shop to have the rear-seat and back windows tinted - the rear-seat for the kids' comfort, and the back window to reduce headlight car from cars at night (much safer). Personally, I don't tint the front windows, not because it's illegal (it is illegal in Calif.) but because I like rolling down the windows part way when driving around town.

For this car, I did 35% around the back, but a higher-end UV blocking film. Paid about $250 - reasonable.

Have never had the window coming off-track problem described above.

Quick Reply: Tinting questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands