Tinting questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tinting questions

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
Personally, I don't tint the front windows, not because it's illegal (it is illegal in Calif.) but because I like rolling down the windows part way when driving around town.
Is there some issue with rolling down a window that has tint on it? Never heard that. I've never had any windows tinted, but I'm thinking of doing it on my HCH-II. I'm in VA, so I think the law is none on the windshield, 50% on the front, and 35% on the rest.

Since I've never done it I'm a bit wary, since I always see people driving around with horrid looking bubbled tint that's gone purple - maybe they just went to horrible shops or something?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by teiresias
Is there some issue with rolling down a window that has tint on it? Never heard that. I've never had any windows tinted, but I'm thinking of doing it on my HCH-II. I'm in VA, so I think the law is none on the windshield, 50% on the front, and 35% on the rest.

Since I've never done it I'm a bit wary, since I always see people driving around with horrid looking bubbled tint that's gone purple - maybe they just went to horrible shops or something?
It SHOULD NOT be a problem rolling down the windows with tint. I've had nearly all my (many) cars windows tinted.
The horrid, purple and peeling tint you see is from (1) people doing it themselves (DON'T!); (2) people using poor installers; (3) people using the cheapest tint film they can get. If you go to a reputable shop (ask around) and ask their opinion, they'll tell you what their better tint films are. Don't use anything less. Many of these shops will guarantee their work and bubbling, peeling and changing color (to purple) for as long as you own the car.

If your vehicle sits out in the sun, then not having the rear window (at least) tinted will lead to much quicker fading of the top of the rear seat-backs, and often the top of the front seat-backs as well. That is, if they are cloth. If they are leather, they will dry out and crack much quicker, even if you keep them well-conditioned. This is the MAIN reason I tint all my vehicles now.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Go here for max info about tinting, including various state laws.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:47 AM
HOV lane commuter

Originally Posted by teiresias
Is there some issue with rolling down a window that has tint on it?
No issue ... just don't like that there's a crack of clear sunlight peering through an otherwise darkened window. It's like wearing sunglasses on the tip of your nose.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
No issue ... just don't like that there's a crack of clear sunlight peering through an otherwise darkened window. It's like wearing sunglasses on the tip of your nose.
Ah, gotcha. I should find someone that has tints near where I live so I can see what 35%, etc. look like, and to get some shop recommendations. Problem is I don't know anyone that's had their windows tinted.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hey Carl,

If you find a good place let your good pal from Pickerington know This sounds like a handy thing to do, especially as I never use the A/C and I am tired of sweating!

Thanks,
Jon

Old 06-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

For all side windows and rear I paid 180. For privacy and looks, plus some heat reduction its well worth it. I did notice the rear windows make a little noise right before they shut.
Recommend making the fronts lighter than the rears, less chance of getting a ticket as long as the police can see the driver.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LAdude
For all side windows and rear I paid 180. For privacy and looks, plus some heat reduction its well worth it. I did notice the rear windows make a little noise right before they shut.
Recommend making the fronts lighter than the rears, less chance of getting a ticket as long as the police can see the driver.
I paid $125.00 for all windows to be limo here in AZ. The guy came to my house after hours to do it. Had to pay cash to him.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:21 AM
HypoFueler

OK Thanks all - now starting to get quotes/visit some tint shops. Will let you know details/post b4/after shots when done.

Last week, dealer replaced drivers window regulator (pinch sensor) which was taking window off the track.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Anyone in Charotte, NC that could recommend a good reputable professional tint installer in the area?

Thanks in advance..

Jess

Quick Reply: Tinting questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands