New exhaust 2 1/4"

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Duc
Stock Sucks
Default Re: Different Device - Same Intent

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I never got around to doing this on my 1988 CRX HF. J C Whitney had a bypass that fitted between the catalitic converter and muffler. With a cable, exhaust could either go thru the muffler as usual or bypass it for improved fuel economy. The way I pictured using it is to pul the cable and bypass the muffler only on the highway. I would not do this in a residential area.
Never seen one of those, sounds interesting and loud .
Clif

Old 10-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: New exhaust 2 1/4"

Originally Posted by Duc
Yes that is where I drilled my breather instead of buying a CC breather. Also note I put blue tie straps around the filter head and then ran one to the old filter box mount to steady the cone/keep it from moving freely on the rubber tube that conects to the motor.

Clif
Thanks for your patience with all my questions! One more.

If I purchase a CC breather, is there still a hose that connects to the engine (like the one you have out the top)? I guess, how does this change if you buy it.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by Tim
Thanks for your patience with all my questions! One more.

If I purchase a CC breather, is there still a hose that connects to the engine (like the one you have out the top)? I guess, how does this change if you buy it.
The hose seen in the pic comes from my CC and vents into the top of the filter, the vented air is sucked into the motor and burned/exhausted. If you buy a separate filter the air will be filtered (inside out) and vented under the hood area (unless you extend it with a hose under the car). The argument is the contaminated air is burned making it a cleaner than venting it, the amount of air vented probably is not measurable but who am I to say.
Clif

Old 10-21-2005, 09:14 AM
My Wife's car but my toy!

The amount of vented gasses coming from the engine crankcase is measureable. Just start if up and put your finger over the end of the hose. You can feel it. For you "Green" people allowing the crankcase to vent into the atmosphere is a no-no. For those of you that like to keep a car for years it is also not the best idea. The vacuum from the hose connected to the airbox keeps the engines internal passages at a lower pressure. If you remove the hose and just run a filter the pressure will be higher in the crankcase and it causes sludge to build up. The more miles (wear) the engine has on it the more the tolerances internally have loosesned up and more of the combustion gasses leak and need to be vented. So the sludge issue is minimal in the begining of an engines life but it increases with wear. I have seen some really nasty sludge filled engines that did not have a functioning crankcase vent system. Race cars only run a vent because they don't care about the envirinment, they are new engines that are overhualed after the race, and combustion by-product gasses are not as combustible and are hot. Speaking of hot, an engine produces its best power with cool dense air. That is why most airboxes have a hose or opening facing the front of the vehicle to try and pick up the cooler air coming in from outside of the engine compartment.

Just food for thought before doing the mods.

Last edited by mg48; 10-21-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Nice post mg48, I did the air mod last night, with a CC breather, I need to find one of those nipples duc talks about and complete the mod properly, do you have a part # duc?

In case anyone was wondering, the original air intake case is a plain vanilla filter box, it has no altitude compensation, emissions control, or any smarts that you lose by converting to another filter (as far as I can tell). I was worried that I would compromise emissions with this mod so I looked pretty carefully at it after I removed it. I will keep an eye on things next summer too, this may be a winter only mod since it will probably increase the intake air temp.

Also, I was thinking about other things that could increase power, anyone try the bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs? I am thinking about putting them in. I put splitfires in a new 1995 Dodge V8 once, they promised ~4% increase in power and FE and pretty much delivered as advertised. I like the bosch because you don't have to gap them, they cost a lot more than splitfires however, but I only have to buy 4 this time. :-)

- Kurt

Old 10-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

oops, I called my auto parts store, and he told me that the stock plugs in the HCH are iridium, which are superior to platinum.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

In regards to your exhaust set-up, is the catalytic converter located right off the exhaust port like on an old CRX HF or is it under the car like most vehicles?

Old 10-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kmh3
I like the bosch because you don't have to gap them, they cost a lot more than splitfires however, but I only have to buy 4 this time. :-)
As you stated later, the stock plugs in the HCH are iridium, but there are also 8, not 4, as each cylinder has two spark plugs. This is the Dual-point sequential ignition (i-DSI) system that allows the engine to run in lean burn mode more efficiently and with lower emissions.

Later,
~Droid

Old 10-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by guvmint_cheese
In regards to your exhaust set-up, is the catalytic converter located right off the exhaust port like on an old CRX HF or is it under the car like most vehicles?
It is ringht off the manifold just as it turns under the car, so under yes but not centered as you see on most vehicles.
Clif

Old 10-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by kmh3
Nice post mg48, I did the air mod last night, with a CC breather, I need to find one of those nipples duc talks about and complete the mod properly, do you have a part # duc?
- Kurt
This is what I used it is an air line coupler for a compressor, drill a hole in the end cap and screw it in. Make sure you clean up all the metal shavings, easy way to do it is to put a piece of PVC in the filter where you are going to drill so the shaving fall down it and there is no chance of missing any.
Clif

Quick Reply: New exhaust 2 1/4"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands