New exhaust 2 1/4"

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New exhaust 2 1/4"

Originally Posted by malditos
So what does this all mean? Well, adding up my mpgs (36+39.3+44.8=120.1) and then dividing them to get my average results in 40mpg.
Averaging your three MPG figures this way is not absolutely accurate, especially if the distances driven between fillups changed a lot. You'll get a more accurate result if you add all three distances, add all three gallon quantities, then divide your total miles driven by your total gas filled.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by edovando
Went to Autozone tonight picked up the air filter and CC Breather. Got home and UPS had delivered muffler.

CC Breather ........... 9.99
Filter .................... 24.99
Muffler ................. 31.95
More MPG ............. Priceless
Do you have the filter installed?
Muffler on yet?
Clif

Old 01-12-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ElanC
Averaging your three MPG figures this way is not absolutely accurate, especially if the distances driven between fillups changed a lot. You'll get a more accurate result if you add all three distances, add all three gallon quantities, then divide your total miles driven by your total gas filled.
A *lot* more accurate. For example, let's say you use one gallon to go 50 miles, then two more gallons to go another 50 miles. So 50 mpg followed by 25 mpg over equal distances should be an average of 37.5 mpg, right? Wrong. Three gallons to go 100 miles is 33.3 mpg.

For an even more obvious example, if you coast for 40 miles (infinite mpg) then use one gallon over another 40 (40 mpg), your average mileage is not infinite, it's 80.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
A *lot* more accurate. For example, let's say you use one gallon to go 50 miles, then two more gallons to go another 50 miles. So 50 mpg followed by 25 mpg over equal distances should be an average of 37.5 mpg, right? Wrong. Three gallons to go 100 miles is 33.3 mpg.For an even more obvious example, if you coast for 40 miles (infinite mpg) then use one gallon over another 40 (40 mpg), your average mileage is not infinite, it's 80.
Darn that confounding MATH !!

Old 01-12-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
A *lot* more accurate. For example, let's say you use one gallon to go 50 miles, then two more gallons to go another 50 miles. So 50 mpg followed by 25 mpg over equal distances should be an average of 37.5 mpg, right? Wrong. Three gallons to go 100 miles is 33.3 mpg.

For an even more obvious example, if you coast for 40 miles (infinite mpg) then use one gallon over another 40 (40 mpg), your average mileage is not infinite, it's 80.
Yeah, but let's not get too dramatic. Malditos gave enough info to calculate his mileage correctly. He traveled 373 miles @36MPG, 400 @ 39.3, 425 @ 44.8. I can calculate how much he filled up each time by dividing miles by MPG. Then, adding it all up we get 1198 miles using 30 gallons of gas, which comes out to 39.9 MPG. He calculated 40. No big deal.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by ElanC
Yeah, but let's not get too dramatic. Malditos gave enough info to calculate his mileage correctly. He traveled 373 miles @36MPG, 400 @ 39.3, 425 @ 44.8. I can calculate how much he filled up each time by dividing miles by MPG. Then, adding it all up we get 1198 miles using 30 gallons of gas, which comes out to 39.9 MPG. He calculated 40. No big deal.
Yeah, the difference is minor when the number of gallons are similar for the measurements (in this case, 10.361, 10.178, and 9.486) as they are with tank measurements... it's more of an issue when people refill their tanks early at random intervals.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Muffler is being installed, will pick up the car in 45 min. The guy at the autoshop gave me different options. Option A replace at exhaust, Option B replace behind Cat Converter, Option C replace pipe from Cat all the way to the back. I went with Option C as he said running 2 in pipe all the way would give me the highest MPG and performance boost.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

For y'all that have replaced their system from the cat back, have you installed mandrel bent piping or crimp bent?

Jeff

Old 01-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by guvmint_cheese
For y'all that have replaced their system from the cat back, have you installed mandrel bent piping or crimp bent?

Jeff
I "believe" there are only a few places where you can get pipe mandrel bent and I have never heard of or seen a muffler shop that does it. One of the reasons I went with 2 1/4 is because the pipe narrows with the bend.
Long story short for me, crimp.
Clif

Old 01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Muffler has been installed, Air filter will be done on Monday (I don't have time to do it till then). Picked up the vehicle and drove it home with traffic at 5:00 from Pasadena to Rancho Cucamonga, total drive was 50.9 miles at 43.1 mpg per Trip A on Dash. Oh man could I feel the difference in acceleration, to bad I was in traffic except for the last two miles. I did the same exact trip yesterday, 50.9 miles @ 39.7 mpg. I refueled the tank when I got home and discovered something interesting. Everytime I pump I write down the miles and mpg per dashboard on the reciept. 471.11 @ 44.2mpg (per display). I refueled exactly as I normally due, it took 10.501. Do the math, that is 44.863. My display vs the math had never been off by so much. The most I had been off in the past was + or - .25 . Is this due to the mods? The noise is there but not loud to the point of making alarms go off in parking structures. The power difference is felt instantly. It doesn't sound like a golf cart anymore. I saved all the parts in case I ever want to go back and reinstall, 3 screws and remove the hooks and I can swap out the entire system. Almost forgot, I took my camera to take pictures while the car was up on the rack, but I was so excited to have the mods done that I left the camera inside the car and was the guy brought the car down, he wouldn't take it back up "just to take pix". Sorry.

Quick Reply: New exhaust 2 1/4"

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands