Images of HCH-II w/moonroof uploaded

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Images of HCH-II w/moonroof uploaded

Originally Posted by clyde2575
Thank you for helping me with the photos. I really like it. I may want to look into that. Is the dealer going to warranty it?
I've asked up and down and get conflicting answers whoever I talk to. I got a paper that I signed that lists what the dealer did to the car before I got the keys for purposes of warranty and the moonroof was listed. This particular dealer says they'll warranty it for 3 years/36,000 miles. Various people there say any Honda will honor it. However, Honda themselves will just pass it on to an Inalfa authorized shop for repairs.

I've spoke with various service shops around California and none of them had a problem with the moonroof and have stated that they've seen custom moonroofs installed quite a bit in the past (it is more common that we think) and haven't seen any leak problems or anything of concern. When I picked up my car, all the sales people and a few of the service people (some were actually one their day off) had come to see the Hybrid with a moonroof and there were many compliments and some taking pictures. Their service manager has a Hybrid on order and commented this turned out so well that he'll get one on his when it arrives.

My Toyota that I traded in came with a moonroof that once leaked and Toyota would have nothing to do with it, I had to go to a bodyshop/sunroof place for any repairs at my own cost, so there really isn't anything different going on here.

I posted another thread on this newsgroup I think in someones titled "Moonroof" or something where I listed a series of questions to ask before having it installed. If you research it, you'll find that moonroof installations are very reliable these days (post 1998) if done by a reputable installer (not joe blow on the corner). In researching non-dealer induced moonroof installations I found:

* All modern moonroof installations use drain four drain tubes to let the water drain. One or more can become clogged if not properly maintained. Clogs are easy to correct.

* Most modern moonroof installations will not leak due to faulty installations. I hesitate to say all, just that it is very rare.

* Some installers will cut a hole in the roof and install the moonrof and that's that. Others, like the one my dealer contracted (Inalfa) will reinforce the roof and stabelize it and so on. I've spoke with some who say it isn't necessary, I spoke with others who nearly have a heart-attack at the thought of not reinforcing the roof and similar. The point is you want the roof reinforced.

* Most installers will do one of two things regarding rust-proofing: a) do some kind of rustproofing (not sure the technique) or b) use some kind oa silicone (or other material) around the seams that appearantly dry soft and even in the hot sun will not crack or break and negate the need for proper rustproofing. Some installers will do neither (usally as part of a cust-cutting measure). Mine did the soft sealant material.

* Moonroof installation prices vary. Good ones (ones that do all the above and do really good re-upholstering when done) will run you about $1,200-1,500. I found some that will do $900 but those seem to give me the run around when asking the right question. My opinion: you get what you pay for. A moonroof is not the place to be cutting corners (no pun intended). Go ahead and pay for the quality.

* Not a single dealer in the country can void the warranty of any warranty repairs because you had a moonroof installed. However, if it does leak and damages anything inside, you'll have to deal with your installer. In my case, at the minimum, the Honda that ordered the moonroof will deal with it for me, I have yet to get a non-conflicting answer whether other Honda's will help me. It all depends on who you ask, perhaps it also depends on who I bring it to.

I'm sure there's more but I have a car to drive so if I think of other things, I'll post them. Otherwise, look for that "moonroof" thread because I posted a some good questions to ask before installing. In reality, asking or not asking, it is very hard to really know whether they are telling the truth. Look the specific location up in BBB and do a google groups search and see what people have to say. People love to complain on the Internet.

At some point, you just have to take a chance: do you want a moonroof or don't you? I do and I did.

Difference between moonroof, sunroof, and pop-up? Sunroof opens to reveal the sun. Moonroof has glass and does not need to be open to reveal the sun. Pop-up does not slide, only flip's upward but can be completely removed, just not while driving. Sunroofs are not installed anymore. As such, moonroof/sunroof can be used interchangeably but when asking for installation, be specific because there is still a technical difference. Modern moonroofs also pop-up.

Most modern installations support single-touch open/close. My wife's Acura does not, mine does. I hate that hers does not. Be sure to get one that does.

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by shawnb; 06-25-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Images of HCH-II w/moonroof uploaded

Looks great!
Thanks for the pics.

Good HCH color choice too.