Moonroof in 2006 HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast
Question Moonroof in 2006 HCH?

Has anyone installed an after market moonroof in the 2006 Civic Hybrid? We just ordered a new HCH and would really like to add a moonroof -- unless it's a disaster in the making. Anyone out there with experience to share?

Old 05-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Moonroof in 2006 HCH?

Please search the forum. There are plenty of discussions on the subject that will help make your decision.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a car with the moonroof . I fount no use for it. What is your desire(s) to have a moonroof? I found that it would create more drag and noise.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks - I should have done that first. I'm new to this! (and to Hybrids!)

Old 05-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

Just like the fresh air. Hoped the drag wouldn't be too bad. Don't mind the noise.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by subo
Thanks - I should have done that first. I'm new to this! (and to Hybrids!)
No problem. The only reason I even thought that is because there is an active discussion a couple of threads down that I think had a lot of good information.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Proud owner HCHII

A word of caution, I read that Honda thought that the extra weight of strengthening the roof would count against fuel economy. Be careful that the one you are thinking of installing does not flex and creak - ask to have a ride in a car that already has a saitisfied owner. Leaking in rain is another potential hazard of an after-build.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:24 PM
enthusiast of some sort

Hello,

About the noise.... I had an aftermarket moonroof installed on my Explorer and it was most quiet completely open. When I popped it up for ventilation, It whistled between 30 and 60 MPH. The whistling went away after figuring out the sweet spot.

If you do get one, note that headroom will be lessened, you didn't mention how tall you are. And get the option where it will close/ open completely at a touch of a button. BTW, I've never experienced leaks with moonroofs/sunrooms so you'll need a guarantee it won't leak if the dealer doesn't do it for you.

Originally Posted by subo
Just like the fresh air. Hoped the drag wouldn't be too bad. Don't mind the noise.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast

thanks - the drivers for this car will be from 5' 2" to 6' 1" so we will need to check that clearance! definitely will want to go with the dealer or some other very reputable source if we do this. sure would like to -- I love the moon roof I have now!

Old 05-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm about to pick up a sunroof with my new HCH-II in the next week or so (when I get the car). Some dealers won't do it, because they contract it out and they have been burned with leaking roofs and warranty's the dealers had to honor because the contractor won't work with the customer directly.

Other dealers caution that it'll reduce the MPG so they won't do it.

The dealer I'm purchasing from will happily install it for $895 and it'll be covered under warranty if I have it installed before I pick up the keys.

Just be sure to ask a few questions first:

<edit 1>
* Who will be responsible for the warranty and in what ways will the warranty be honored and for how long? This is important, because if a leak causes electrical damage, its important to know whether it'll be covered and for how long the entity responsible for warranty will cover it (12 months? 2 years, 5 years?). Make sure you understand this perfectly.
</edit 1>

* Will they be installing drain-tubes? If no, then don't install it unless you want leaks in a few years on a rainy day. An electrical vehicle is that last vehicle you want to experience electrical problems in. I had a leak in my Toyota. Although the guys at the carwash created the leak on purpose (by screwing with the drain tube (they stole it)) it still created some serious electrical issues that took the dealer (outside of warranty) 3 months to troubleshoot and correct. In the meantime, at least twice a week my battery would die and electrical system would crap out and I would lose steering and breaking and gear shifting ability (automatic) on the freeway at 65 MPH and it was very scary, once I lost the steering during a sharp turn on a bridge but the up-slope stopped my truck before it hit the wall. You don't want to experience that if you can help it.

* How many leaks has their previous installations produced? Hopefully you'll make a point of it to know about the ones that have been installed at least 5 years prior but 3 years will do.

* Will the wiring cross paths with an airbag? If so, then ask if they can do it any other way or how many have been installed and were there any problems?

* Will it subtract space from the drivers head to the ceiling? My truck does not add height to the top of the roof or remove space from the bottom of the ceiling for its sunroof, it fits perfectly with what space is already naturally consumed by the rest of the roof/ceiling area.

* How much weight will it add to the car? If only 25 lbs and you're concerned, then lose 25 lbs and you'll be fine, better yet, help your wife lose 25 lbs <joke>... or split the weight between the two of you, 12 lbs each <joke>...

* Can the switch be installed somewhere other than the roof? I found that when I press the button in my truck it looks like I'm flipping them off and took me 6 years to figure out why opening/closing the sunroof had the tendancy to **** people off behind me (especially if they were already tailgating me or otherwise following too closely). having a Hybrid with carpool sticker is risky enough, why encourage problems? Instead, get the switch on the door or somewhere else if possible.

Probly a few other questions but can't think of any.

Having a sunroof installed that isn't normally installed by the manufacturer isn't a decision to be taken lightly, be sure its whay you want.

My reasons are because I already have one and I have used it almost every day for 6 years (even on rainy days). I won't mind opening the rear windows, but when my child is born I think he/she will mind and I'd rather have one less reason to give him/her a reason to cry while I'm driving.

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by shawnb; 05-10-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Moonroof in 2006 HCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands