I Think A Very (Innovative-Idea) Your Thoughts/Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 04:48 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: I Think A Very (Innovative-Idea) Your Thoughts/Opinions?

Originally Posted by Tim
I was going to post this in about a month, but I'm about ready to replace the wheels/tires on my 03 HCH. I'm VERY excited about the potential. If you're interested, here's a bit of what I've been thinking of. My goal was to a) do something that looked better and b) increased mileage. Yes, cake and eat it too.

I've done a LOT of research on wheels, weight, unsprung weight, etc. The "as-is" state of the wheels are:

Stock 14" wheels: 15 lbs (to the best I can tell - Honda did not/could not/would not tell me exactly, but I found this weight on a web site selling replacement OEM parts).

Dunlop SP20 FE 185/70/14: 17.6 lbs (I got this from Dunlop).

"As is" wheel weight: 32.6 lbs

I elected to replace with 15" rims, mostly due to weight. Even the lighest 17" rim is ~15 lbs, which is a push. I wanted a weight reduction, so I'm going with Motegi Track Lite 2 (silver), at 10.5 lbs. I have the Blue Opal color, and I think the dull silver six-spoke wheel will be a nice match.

Tires I'm going with Continental ContiTouringContact CV95 195/60/15. The CH95 is one of Green Seal's low rolling resistance winners, and the CV is just the "V" rated version, but takes 51 psi (as opposed to 44) and is 1 lb lighter - 18 lbs.

New wheel weight: 28.5 lbs.

That's 4.1 lbs off each wheel, for a total of 16.4 lbs of unsprund weight reduction. I've found on the web that 1 lb unsprung weight equals about 8 lbs in the car, so think of it as reducing your car weight by 131.2 lbs.

I'm very exited to get all this ordered. Once I have it installed and go through a tank of gas, I'll post some pictures and the FE results.

Almost forgot - all told this will be about a $1600 job installed. Lightweight wheels are not cheap - $170 - $300 each. Those Motegi's are ~$225. So, I'm not expecting this to be a payback thing. I want the new look just as bad. So you don't have to sacrifice weight for looks - you just have to be prepared to pay for it.

Terry - Those Motegi wheels come in 17" and are 14.5 lbs. I also looked at OZ Superleggera - I think the 17" is comparable. They're 4x100, which I assume the 06 is. Now most 205/50/17 tires are closer to 21-24 lbs if I remember correctly (mostly because they are higher speed rated). I bet you could find a 17" wheel config that's at least equivalent in weight to your existing setup.
Tim; Great info. I wonder what the wheels and tires weigh that come with the (HFP) package?

Terry

BTW; I have not made up my mind yet on exactly what I'm going to do and to be "Real-Honest" it has and still is running through my mind to say the heck with the HCH and go for the 06 "Accord Hybrid" that now even has the Sun-Roof for 2006. Fast, infact real fast and great FE with all the gadgets. The reason for second thinking this thing is the price of the 06 HCH vehicle goes up really quick with all the add on's and at that price point maybe the "Accord Hybrid" is the better choice for the money. Who Knows??????

Old 10-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I Think A Very (Innovative-Idea) Your Thoughts/Opinions?

Hi Tim:

___Excellent research. I hope it works out as good as it sounds!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm with xcel, that is excellent research from tim, and we have all benefitted.

Regarding whether people are stupid for making modifications to their hybrids which decrease fuel economy to the extent that some would say they should not buy hybrids: My feeling is that I want as many people to drive hybrids as possible. Even the kids that trick out their cars with fancy wheels. Even the DINKs who put bicycle racks on the roof and use the HCH to go mountain biking in Utah. Even the guys who put outrageous stereos in their trunks. ;-)

They are still going to get 20-40% better mileage, and pollute less, then they would in a non-hybrid. From my limited perspective, that's a win-win situation.

And for those who are apt complain about the mileage they experience, well maybe this educates people about the tradeoffs between fuel economy and all those things that are nice and useful, but may detract from your MPG. Eventually, everybody will know this, because all cars will have fuel economy gauges like in our hybrids; we are just giving them a head start. :-)

Old 10-06-2005, 04:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

doesn't the '06 HCH now come with 16" wheels? if so, then the jump to 17" shouldn't be all that bad, i think the only reason that other person had such a hard time was because she went from 15" to 17", just my thoughts anyhow...

Old 10-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
doesn't the '06 HCH now come with 16" wheels? if so, then the jump to 17" shouldn't be all that bad, i think the only reason that other person had such a hard time was because she went from 15" to 17", just my thoughts anyhow...
06 HCH comes with 15 inch wheels that look like they go on a Pontiac.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DTDRIVER
06 HCH comes with 15 inch wheels that look like they go on a Pontiac.
ah yes, that's right, i knew the '06 had a 1" bigger wheel than us, for some reason i forgot we were riding on 14" wheels and not 15's, my bad

Old 10-07-2005, 07:57 AM

Anyone know the bolt pattern?

Old 10-11-2005, 05:23 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: I Think A Very (Innovative-Idea) Your Thoughts/Opinions?

Originally Posted by Wangofree
Terry they must LOVE YOU at your local dealer. Can you say, "Ka Ching"?

I think you'll have more fun than most people with your new 06. Can't wait to see pix.

Hey, let me know if you put blue neon underneath and NOS on her. People would say, "dang, that car moves pretty good for a Hybrid!"
Hi Mike; I have not heard from you in a while.

Here's what I think you will find interesting, Have you by chance read the thread that I posted on the (Hybrid Civic Forum) about here's the page from Honda showing all the Accessories available from Honda for the 06 HCH?

Point; I must not have been to "Crazy" because guess what? Honda offers for the 06 HCH: Front Underbody Spoiler, Rear Underbody Spoiler, Side Underbody Spoilers:

So it would appear to me unless Honda has a screw loose (And-I-Doubt-That) why would they even consider having these as options if they truly would just kill FE. I guess one could say that in this case I reached out into the cosmo and saw the future and obviously Honda agreed with my thinking.

I also think the reason they (Spoilers) don't auto. come on the vehicle is price just like the radio in the HCH is X/M "Ready" but is a dealer installed option as well as the (Spoilers).

I did re-consider one of my brain storms in the (17" Wheels), I think that
(Man-I-Hate-When-This-Guys-Right) Excel was right on the wheel situation that they change to many things on the HCH to be feasible and would really "Kill" FE on the HCH. (I-Just-Know-I'm-Going-To-Hear-I-Told-You-So) Oh well I'm a big boy and where does it say in concrete that a man cannot chance his mind (Women-Do).

I think I will most likely go with the Spoilers if when Honda opens up their web site that they will let you build your HCH with adding the Spoilers to see how they look. Hope is Eternal

Terry