I got pull over today...In Car poole lane.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default I got pull over today...In Car poole lane.

Today I was able to get an earlier start to work this morning, to hopefully get there ONTIME. Going down the CarPoole lane about 55 miles per hour, behind another car, which was about 5 car lengths distance ahead.

With a smile on my face and feeling GOOD Cause Today, I will be ONTIME to work!!

Traffic in the FastLane was moving around 35. I notice a Motorcycle ahead with bluelights on rear, but it was an old one, like the kind the Furneral Traffic guys use. I know only Police bikes are the only ones that can have blue Tail lights, so as I passed by I took a closer look to make sure it was indeed a Police Officer. (because he didnot look like one)

As I looked, his eyes met mine and he quickly got into the CarPoole Lane behind me and TurnOn His Lights! Knowing that I was Not Speeding, nor Tailgate'n I was puzzle as to why this guy was pulling me over? Could he not see that my vehicle had the 'AccessOk' sticker on the rear?

So I pulled over to the shoulder, rolled down my Window(passenger side) as he took that SLOW STROLL to my car to make sure I did'nt have anything I was Not suppose too.LOL

When He finally made it to my Window, he bends down and ASked...
"Where's Your Passengers?"(plus Drivers License)

I asked " What Do You Mean?

He says " You were driving in the Car Poole lane!"

I said " I'm Autorized to drive in the car poole...I have a Hybrid, Did'nt you see my stickers on the back?" "Let me show you my paper work"

With a Puzzled look on his Face he say's What Sticker? and "Ok, show me the paperwork"(plus I asked permission to open my glovebox.LOL)

As soon as I showed the paper work, he reads it and then asked if I had the Stickers on the vehicle. I say 'Yes' So he walks to the rear of the Car, again, walks back up to the window, bends down and says " I normally don't drive the freeways...I never heard of this?....Excuse me for my ignorance.
You are Free to Go!

I said 'Ok, Thanks, Have a Great Day!"

So Off I went But, made it Late to work!

Like I said before this guy did'nt even look like a Police Officer. But he was, I believe a Sherriff, maybe driving to another city for court or Work on the Freeways.

Just thought I would share...and give you all a Chuckle! :-)

PPD

Old 10-05-2006, 11:59 PM
04 prius 350,000km
Default Re: I got pull over today...In Car poole lane.

haha i guess hybrids aren't well known yet nice story.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:18 AM
Hybrid Newbie

Here in VA (DC area), they've taken away hybrid access the the carpool lanes on I-395. Can't use them unless you are a motorbike or if you've got 3 passengers or more.

Apparently there are too many hybrids around here, and the carpoolers were complaining that the lanes were getting too crowded.

Bummer...

Old 10-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm calling BS on him not knowing about the stickers. He wanted to check you out and verify that you were authorized. Not unless this guy has been on the moon he knows all about the stickers. It's good you had everything in order.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB
Here in VA (DC area), they've taken away hybrid access the the carpool lanes on I-395. Can't use them unless you are a motorbike or if you've got 3 passengers or more.

Apparently there are too many hybrids around here, and the carpoolers were complaining that the lanes were getting too crowded.

Bummer...
Slight correction to the above statement. They removed access for NEW Hybrids on I-395. If you were registered before July 1, 2006 you can still drive in the HOVs on I-395. They are issuing new Clean Fuel plates that are not exempt from the the 3 pass. requirement for Hybrids registered after 7/1/2006. New Hybrids can still drive in the HOV's on I-66 and Rt. 50, however.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Hybrid Newbie

Yes, you're right. Sorry...

But my understanding is that even the grandfathered hybrids won't be allowed on 395 after some point (I think it's next year sometime, but not 100% sure of that).

Plus, if one lives in Alexandria, being able to ride in the HOV lanes of I-66 is of absolutely no help...

Last edited by SloopJohnB; 10-20-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Neil
Slight correction to the above statement. They removed access for NEW Hybrids on I-395. If you were registered before July 1, 2006 you can still drive in the HOVs on I-395. They are issuing new Clean Fuel plates that are not exempt from the the 3 pass. requirement for Hybrids registered after 7/1/2006. New Hybrids can still drive in the HOV's on I-66 and Rt. 50, however.
I read about that pending change back in May and that's exactly why I bought an 06 in May, instead of waiting for an 07. I commute daily from Woodbridge to Rosslyn via the 95 & 395 HOV lanes and can usually make the trip in 30 minutes, as opposed to the hour and 15 minutes that it can easily take without the HOV.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Hybrid Newbie

Originally Posted by DarkHorse2160
I read about that pending change back in May and that's exactly why I bought an 06 in May, instead of waiting for an 07. I commute daily from Woodbridge to Rosslyn via the 95 & 395 HOV lanes and can usually make the trip in 30 minutes, as opposed to the hour and 15 minutes that it can easily take without the HOV.
Yeah, I knew about it too... But I couldn't afford the hybrid then because I was still paying on the old car (which I am keeping and not trading in). The last car payment was in Sept, which was when I got the Civic (which was a bit of a spur of the moment purchase because the dealer actually had one in the lot for sale).

Luckily, I get on the intertstate in Alexandria (and go to Key Bridge), and not all the way down in Woodbridge. Having to drive all the way up to Rossyln in the main lanes from down there would be a real bummer...