2007 FEH pull over immediately

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 FEH pull over immediately

I purchased this 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid about 4 months ago, took it for a 10 hour drive (for vacation) and back with no problems. Last week I was doing my 40min commute home from work when I was about 500ft from my home and the vehicle immediately went into some kind of limp mode and told me to shut the vehicle down immediately, which was interesting because it had already powered down the engine. The red triangle with an exclamation mark also came up. That was the only thing. The vehicle has 107,000 miles on it, the previous owner took great care of it, great carfax, routinely maintained. I can hear the fans above the battery pack (in the rear) running as well as the radiator in the front of the vehicle running when the vehicle is in electric mode and I'm stopped. Both coolant reservoirs have the correct coolant, both are properly filled to the right levels. Based on a little searching it seems as though the electric motor coolant pump is problematic in these vehicles, whats the easiest way to determine if this is the issue? I took the splash guard off so I could access it but now I don't know how to be sure if it's actually working or not. Thanks for your advice!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: 2007 FEH pull over immediately

Turn on the key and listen to the coolant (MECS) pump. If it is not running, tap it. If it starts up you have your culprit.

Do a search here on MECS pump for more information.

Last edited by travelover; 05-30-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ford has issued a TSB for this issue, TSB 09-19-12.

10/05/09

RED TRIANGLE ON AND STOP SAFELY NOW
MESSAGE - DTC P1AOC

FORD:
2005-2008 Escape Hybrid

MERCURY:
2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid

This article supersedes TSB 9-17-9 to update the IDS version.

ISSUE
Some 2005-2008 Escape Hybrid and 2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid vehicles may exhibit an intermittent Red Triangle on and Stop Safely Now message displayed on the message center, accompanied by a sudden RPM loss/no start with a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P1A0C. Vehicles may exhibit this symptom on the first start of the morning or after an extended idle. The symptom will clear on the next key cycle.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) scan tool:
1. Access and monitor the LOS_STRT parameter identification (PID) in the powertrain control module (PCM).

a. If the LOS_STRT PID indicates YES, perform Step 2.

b. If the LOS_STRT PID indicates NO, the DTC P1A0C may be the result of a 12 volt system fault. Performing the calibration update in Step 2 will not correct a 12 volt system fault. Follow Powertrain Control Emission Diagnostics (PC/ED) for DTC P1A0C.

2. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 62.14 or higher and 63.02 or higher. Calibration files are not included on DVD 2009.9. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. The calibration contains a sludge compensation strategy for the throttle body.

3. Turn the key off to re-initialize the PCM. This will allow the sludge compensation strategy to learn.

4. With the vehicle in park or neutral and the climate control system set to DEFROST, start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature (greater than 170 °F (77 °C) coolant temperature). Run it an additional 5 minutes to allow sufficient learning time.

5. While the engine is running, using IDS datalogger or equivalent, check the PID value of ETC_TRIM.

a. If ETC_TRIM value is 3.5 degrees and/or DTC P115SE is present, then replace the electronic throttle body (ETB), following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04C.

b. If ETC_TRIM value is less than 3.5 degrees and DTC P115SE is not present, but driveability concerns persist, the ETB is not the likely cause of the concern and replacement is not necessary. Continue with normal PC/ED diagnostics.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: 09-08-09
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast

First, thank both for your responses! I appreciate the help, really I do

1) I just ordereda bluetooth OBD adapter for my smartphone, Im going to purchase the torque app and see what it can do for for GatorJ's suggestion.

2)Does the coolant pump for the MECS always turn on or only after the electric motor has been running?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast

Quick update: I jacked the vehicle up, turned the ignition, crawled under the front passenger side and found the pump, tapped on it a few times with a wrench and it kicked on. Pump ordered and should be here by June 4th, thanks for the help, hopefully there isn't something else also failing :p

Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ReaverKS

1) I just ordereda bluetooth OBD adapter for my smartphone, Im going to purchase the torque app and see what it can do for for GatorJ's suggestion.

2)Does the coolant pump for the MECS always turn on or only after the electric motor has been running?
From my understanding 07s, 08s, and maybe others should always be running once the key is turned on. Since yours wasn't you did the right thing in ordering a new one. Very common problem. I have the same type of pump on my 04 Cobra (cools the supercharger air) and it failed on me, though not sure how many miles my FEH's pump has on it at this point. Should definitely crawl under there shortly and check though!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ReaverKS

Neither my ScanGauge 2 or home code scanner was able to read the P1AOC trouble code. I have a friend who owns an automotive repair shop. His equipment was able to read it. Ford has many proprietary codes that consumer level scanners are unable to read.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

Although I already knew the pump was failing from yesterday, I hooked up my OBD sensor and utilized torque app and it did in fact pull up the fault code, which then gave a link and it was in fact the MEC pump. While waiting on the pump to arrive I thought I'd monitor the coolant temperature (not engine coolant) so that I could tell when the vehicle was going to tell me to pull over (so I could get a headsup) and it looks as though torque only does the engine coolant temp

Oh well, hopefully this thread helps others having similar issues.