Just about to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Just about to pull the trigger

My current car is a 2005 - I mistakenly typed in 2008 in my original post.

I am done with my 2005 v8 gas inhaling suv.

I am looking for a loaded escape hybrid.

A dealer in my area has about 7.

They are asking list, I know some dealers jacked up the price over list.

As of 11/18/08 6:30 PM - Should I be paying list???

I do like the vehicle. (don't tell my salesman)

Last edited by versabar; 11-19-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just about to pull the trigger

It is a **** good vehicle. You have to ask yourself if you feel comfortable with that decision however since it is your wallet that is being opened. You noted that you know some dealers are getting over list so perhaps in your area that is a good deal. I got a great deal on mine but I think list is still a fair value given how much I love my FEHL. Good luck!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I paid list, but got about $2k above KBB on my trade.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

Thats good to know - buying a car can be a pain, especially when its one that lots of people want.

I just don't want to feel like I got beat.

I saw a Silver 4wd LTD tonight, took it for a ride. I was pleasantly suprised with the interior, it had a nice look to it, and the nav, and sync seemed like a good setup. It had leather, sunroof, etc etc. I want to be green but still comfortable doing it.

I will let you know what I do. Thay have a white, and a silver, same setup.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Couldn't be happier. I paid sticker, got payoff on my tade in, but that was 1.5 yrs ago. Not sure what V8's are fetching today. If carmax is in the area drive over and get an offer to an approx trade-in value. When I did that, they pretty much were equal.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

According to the Hybrid Car Blog, some Prius dealers are starting to offer $1,000 off MSRP (see Prius markups, November 14, 2008).

Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast

IMO you should be able to get at LEAST $1000 off MSRP.

That's about what I got but saw several dealerships here in L.A. offering as much as $1800 off MSRP on fully loaded Escape Hybrids.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by versabar
I was pleasantly suprised with the interior, it had a nice look to it, and the nav, and sync seemed like a good setup. It had leather, sunroof, etc etc. I want to be green but still comfortable doing it.
You may want to try to condition the sale on a free upgrade to the "Next Generation" navigation system's maps. They are shamefully outdated, as is the POI database.

Not sure where you are, but if you check the Escape's map in the area of Fontana, CA, the 210/30 freeway stops at Alder Avenue and resumes in San Bernardino. In reality, the freeway has been completed for well over a year.

Navteq has updated data (available quarterly to map developers), but Pioneer (who makes the nav system) and FoMoCo choose to either not buy updated data or at least to incorporate the valid and current data into their "Next Generation" Nav system.

BTW - FoMoCo (and many discount electronic stores) sell portable Garmin (and other brands) of GPS for a few hundred dollars that do have current maps.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by versabar
I am done with my 2008 v8 gas inhaling suv.

I am looking for a loaded escape hybrid.

A dealer in my area has about 7.

They are asking list, I know some dealers jacked up the price over list.

As of 11/18/08 6:30 PM - Should I be paying list???

I do like the vehicle. (don't tell my salesman)
I think you are not making a good decision by unloading a car you purchased about, what, 1.5 years ago at most? You will take a bath in depreciation, that is assuming you have paid it off. If it isn't paid off, the dealer may not be able to make a trade unless you make up the difference between the loan / lease payoff and the residual value - which is REALLY shrunken on large SUVs. So you may end up paying many thousands more for your FEH. It makes little financial sense.

Gas prices are low right now, you might as well keep it for a while.

Just my input...

Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast

I agree, gas is 1/2 of where it was a month ago.
However, you know nothing lasts forever. Gas will go up again. It could have been $25 when it was $155 - and I resent that a lot. The middle east has enough new financial centers, man made islands in the ocean, and apartment buildings with golden bath fixtures.

I am done supporting that.

I will also buy the first electric car, and continue to ride my bicycle, etc etc etc. Being green may not be cheap - but I don't feel as bad by putting my money into the U.S. economy - and out of the Middle East, Venezuela, Russia, etc.

I will look for KBB value on my car or close to it. If they don't offer it, I will sell it on my own. If you know that fair value of a used car - they know it too. I can pay cash for the escape, so either they buck up, or I will sell it on my own. The car is now 3 y.o., 53000 miles.

I had the same situation with the Ford Explorer that I traded for my Touareg. They try to low ball you (what else is new). I told them I would sell it - then they suddenly agreed to take it (after the obligatory meeting with the "business manager").

Quick Reply: Just about to pull the trigger

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands