fold down seats in HCH '06

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 05:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default fold down seats in HCH '06

Question to anyone who has a HCH '06: Do the rear seats fold down to allow big things to go in the trunk? And how flat is the surface when folded down? I was told the previous model years did not allow rear seat to fold down because of battery placement, and that is a major drawback.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: fold down seats in HCH '06

Hi Obi Wan Ryobi:

___The 06 HCH’s rear seats do not fold down either unfortunately. The pack has to go somewhere and that is about the best Honda could do …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Obi Wan Ryobi
Question to anyone who has a HCH '06: Do the rear seats fold down to allow big things to go in the trunk? And how flat is the surface when folded down? I was told the previous model years did not allow rear seat to fold down because of battery placement, and that is a major drawback.
No, they do not. It's a bummer, but we can always use either my truck or my wife's Highlander Hybrid to move junk around....

Don

50.1mpg this morning on (first) 42 mile commute in 06' Mag Pearl w/o Navi.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:46 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by Obi Wan Ryobi
the '05 doesn't fold down either, but i guess it consider it an inconvenience rather than a major drawback. i could carry 9 bags of wood shavings in my crv, but it took me twice as many trips to the gas station to do it........

Old 11-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hey, really folks, that need of a split folding rear seat-back is WAY overstated. Example:

Me. I have owned about 14 cars since 1979. None of them have had SFRSB.

The one time I needed to carry something large like that in my HCH, I ran it through the rolled down front passenger window into the back rear seat on the driver side. About 2 feet sticking out of the window, not a problem.

People get roof racks, bike carriers, ski carriers, etc. Or borrow a friend's car, or a family member's car.

The only person who should reject a sedan because of lack of a SFRSB is someone who has HAD one, has USED IT FREQUENTLY, and has become spoiled by it.

That's a VERY small portion of the population. I think that's why Honda's Marketing Types decided it was not something the Hybrids needed to become successful.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Hey, really folks, that need of a split folding rear seat-back is WAY overstated. ...The only person who should reject a sedan because of lack of a SFRSB is someone who has HAD one, has USED IT FREQUENTLY, and has become spoiled by it.
Exactly ! As dshelman said..

Originally Posted by dshelman
...we can always use either my truck or my wife's Highlander Hybrid to move junk around....
My 16 year old son summed it up (while talking with the Toyota salesman after our test drive)....With the folding rear seat you can either:

1) Leave the seat up, carry 4 people and only have enough room to carry luggage for 2

2) Fold the seat down, carry 2 people and have enough room to carry luggage for 4

Old 11-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

But with a split rear seat you can seat 3 and have luggage for 3, but that's not the point. I totally fit the description above, my last car was a saturn SL1 (37mpg) and I folded down the seats all the time and got spoiled, but different folks have different needs, I'm not knocking the civic. For me personally I saw the prius and civic as nearly identical in price, mpg etc, but all other things being equal I chose the prius because of the extra cargo space allowed by the seats. A friend of mine went with a jetta tdi because of the rear seat issue. I hate for anyone to turn away from hybrids so I was just hoping the new model would eliminate that variable.

Last edited by Obi Wan Ryobi; 11-10-2005 at 03:30 PM.