How to sell one's HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default How to sell one's HCH?

Hi all!

Family expansion has neccesiated us to sell our 2005 HCH.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about selling it? The dealer trade-in price is below $20K, while they turn around and sell the vehicle for more than $24K.

Does anyone have any good websites that I can use to sell this?

Regards,

SKC.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:57 AM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default Re: How to sell one's HCH?

eBay.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Consider all your needs and options carefully SKC !!!

I had a "family expansion" in 2000 and traded off a 1996 Camry for a 1997 Suburban and have been upside-down in car loans ever since then.

If I had it to do over again, I would have kept the Camry and ADDED another small car to the family. Very rarely did all 7 of us need to go somewhere, and two cars at 30+ MPG would have used less gas than the 14 MPG Suburban.

In reality, it's much more convenient to tote 7 people around in 2 different cars, that way if one group wants to do something else on the way home, they can do that without GOING HOME FIRST and unloading people then going back. It really makes your life more flexible.

If you insist on selling, and you have a paid off car or even close, I'd say just spend $50 for a newspaper ad. That's how I sold my last vehicle, and I got a lot of responses and sold it quickly.

Last edited by lars-ss; 11-10-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:47 AM

You can try craigslist. It's very popular and it's easy and free to post your ad.
Look at the right side of the home page to pick the listings for your home town.
It's not an auction format like Ebay, but rather a straight forward classified listing.

www.craigslist.com

Old 11-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast

We have 2 cars already. One is a 2004 Corolla and my 2005 HCH.
We have been deliberating a lot about which one to sell.
The choice came to the HCH only because of its "apparent" high-resale value. But the price that dealers quote you when you are buying a new "Used HCH", does not equate to what they are willing to pay for trade-in.
I will try craigslist. Not sure yet of having to pay $100 for listing on EBay on the hopes of being able to sell it.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

I am going to sell my '04 Dodge, after my '06 HCH comes in and plan to use AutoTrader.com. For $39 you get 12 weeks of online advertising, and 12 weeks in the AutoTrader printed magazine. For $29 you can get 3 month, online only listing, but then fail to reach those that are not online. To me the $10 up-charge is worth it and in the long run $39 is very little to spend.

I should also note when you list your car with AutoTrader.com, you're also listed on:
  • AOL
  • Netscape
  • Univision
  • Edmunds
  • Yahoo! Autos
  • CompuServe

Old 11-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast

We just sold our 2004 HCH. I used Edmunds.com to get a realistic sales price, then listed it in cars.com (via Recycler, a So Cal classified ads paper) for free. I had 8 calls in the first day and sold it for within $200 of my asking price.

Side story - since I live within 3 miles of work, I decided to get a 125-cc Yamaha scooter to commute. I gave the Prius to my wife and we sold her HCH. The scooter is a blast, uses $2.00 worth of gas a week, we have more room in the garage, and an extra $18,000 in the bank. Whee...

Old 11-10-2005, 10:18 AM

What - not an ELECTRIC Scooter !! Solar Dad, surely you JEST !!!

Old 11-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast

Larry,
Yes, I am a sinner, and have strayed from the straight and narrow...
Actually, I looked at electrics but they don't have nearly enough power.

Mike

Old 11-10-2005, 12:08 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Re:Ask less than everyone else.

If you actually want to sell your vehicle the best advice is to ask just a bit less than everyone else is asking.If you do this you will get the calls.If you ask more than everyone else-ZERO CALLS.In a word ad all the vehicles are the same-it is just price that will get you the calls-no calls-no sell.Don't worry about selling it for less than market value-your competitors won't be getting anything like their asking price.
Folks who are shopping for fairly high dollar used vehicles from a private seller are bottom feeders-they are looking for a good-great deal.They will be self financed,and don't need the services a dealer can offer.You can't get what a dealer can because you can't offer what a dealer offers-financing for marginal buyers,and some sort of warranty(your vehicle is stil in warranty,of course).
Check comparable ads in your area.Check Ebay(actual sales and how high the bidding went on the vast majority that don't reach reserve).The peak bidding number is a reasonable indicator of what bottom feeders are willing to pay.Check dealer ads-save some-so you can show the buyers "how much they will save" by buying from you(of course,the dealers don't get asking price either).
Hybrid prices and the demand varies a lot from state to state-get an idea what you can ask from the local paper.
I have sold most of my vehicles myself-price and that 1st look-is what sells.Make it shine-use scratch remover on light scratches(be careful).I'm not much on putting shiny gunk on the sidewalls(gets on the tread), but it impresses many folks.Vacuum it carefully-empty the pockets,glove compartment,make the engine bay spotless(usual stuff)Emphasize factory warranty etc.Price gets them in the door.Luck,Charlie

Quick Reply: How to sell one's HCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands