EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I don't think there is a lean-burn. Anyway how are you using your trip meters? I mean, I use Trip A for tank mileage and Trip B for whatever. Like if I want to see exactly what FE I'm getting during a highway stretch, I reset Trip B, let it run one mile to be sure, and that's my instantaneous FE. I basically end up resetting Trip B every 40-80 miles and that lets me see how my most recent driving is doing.

There's no point in using one for lifetime mileage IMO since you can easily record that yourself.
Yep, I use trip B as tank mileage, and trip A for individual trips or tests, anywhere from 10-50 miles, depending on what I'm measuring/testing.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by gonavy
The 'EV mode' sounds, from NASA's empirical evidence, to be doing exactly as intended- enable the slow-speed crawl through a parking lot, carpool dropoff, etc. It seems correct that it will not hold speed at 50mph, although that would be nice. The IMA+tiny pack as they exist just aren't meant for that- 20HP yes, but at what (drivetrain output) RPM and torque combination? Apparently not high enough for 50mph.
I've found that it won't hold speed for an extended period of time at any speed over 15-20 MPH. The speed bleed off is pretty slow though, about 1 MPH every 4-5 seconds @ 30MPH. As speed goes up, the bleed rate goes up. Also, note that you can't get the full 20HP from the DC motor in EV mode. I've only been able to get 4 bars of assist; if I increase throttle pressure to get more, the ECU turns the ICE back on.

Two questions:
- At what speed does autostop engage (as in dead ICE, not just spinning with
valves shut) as you approach a stop?
About 5MPH or less, I think (depends on how fast you are stopping).

- I may have missed this in the specs or this thread, but can you start from a dead stop in EV-only?
No.

It doesn't seem so- EV mode only works on the way down?
Correct, and I was only able to get into EV mode at speeds above 10MPH or so.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by moosh
In the brochure it says that in speeds under 35mph, with light throttle, that the gas engine's valves completely shut down and the electric motor takes over. (I'm typing off of memory, so my apologies if this isn't 100% correct.)
I think that's just an oversimplification on the part of Honda's marketing dept, no Honda engineer would explain it that way It's really independent of speed. If you take your foot off the gas, the valves close, at any speed. If you then apply gentle throttle pressure, the ECU will first try to meet your demand with DC only. If it can't, it turns the ICE back on.

Originally Posted by moosh
My takeaway is that with cruise control (same as light throttle?) set at below 35mph that the 06 HCH should be at 100 MPG.

Have you tried cruise control set at below 35mph?
Yes, even as low as 25MPH. Cruise control is no different as far as the ECU is concerned. If you are on a slight decline and the DC motor can provide the power needed to maintain the CC set speed, it will happily tool along in EV mode. Whenever I hit a flat or incline, the ICE will re-engage as needed to maintain the CC set speed.

In my area, I don't have any true flat areas, so it's hard for me to say what a true steady state looks like. The ECU is constantly adjusting for the conditions though; I've seen it switch back and forth between zero fuel flow and ICE on as often as once per second, depending on how often I (or the CC) change the throttle position.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:41 AM

It is worthwhile to find out if cruise control under 35 will still allow electric-only, or if there is some sort of interlock that keeps the engine running with CC on. "Light throttle" means flat or downhill at steady speed- not accelerating, climbing a hill, pushing against a 30mph headwind, etc.
Nope, no interlock. It seems to simply be based on throttle pressure, regardless of whether that input is coming from my foot or the CC. In fact, I've been in EV mode at 60MPH in CC, going up a hill because I had picked up some extra speed coming off the previous downhill. As soon as that speed bleeds off though (assuming it does before I hit the top of the hill), the ICE kicks back on to maintain 60MPH.

The benefit doesn't come from extended periods in EV mode, it's many little segments of EV mode that add up to give better average FE.

Last edited by NASAgineer; 11-21-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:55 AM

- At what speed does autostop engage (as in dead ICE, not just spinning with
valves shut) as you approach a stop?
The engine turns off when you release the gas pedal but it doesn't technically stop until you've braked down to about 4 mph at most.

By the way, letting the engine spin with the wheels is a good thing. What's bad is that the car activates regenerative braking whenever you release the gas pedal, causing the car to slow down slightly. Superior FE could be attained if one could activate a true coast (but still allowing the engine to spin).

One way is for the car to only use regenerative brakes when coasting if it detects it's on a downhill. The other is to make touching the gas pedal (while barely pressing it) disengage regenerative braking without starting up the engine.

Either one of those methods would be great. And the reason the car should arguably be allowed to use regenerative brakes without explicitly using the brake is that people will have to brake down large hills to maintain speed, but they're taught that that'll destroy them since it's bad with other cars. It'll be fine in the HCH but they won't know that. Also they wouldn't be expecting the car to speed up so much on downhills.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks to both of you guys!

Old 11-21-2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
The other is to make touching the gas pedal (while barely pressing it) disengage regenerative braking without starting up the engine.
And that's essentially what the 06HCH does, although you have to maintain the throttle pressure precisely to keep the regen off.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
In my area, I don't have any true flat areas,
Highway 101 between SJC and SFO is as flat as a pancake. 880 between SJC and OAK is almost as flat.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ElanC
Highway 101 between SJC and SFO is as flat as a pancake. 880 between SJC and OAK is almost as flat.
True, but both are also slow as molasses. Maybe I just need to get up early on Sunday to go do some tests

Old 11-21-2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
True, but both are also slow as molasses. Maybe I just need to get up early on Sunday to go do some tests
True, but they flow freely after 10 or 11PM on week nights. 85 is also almost flat and it's less congested.

Quick Reply: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands