EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Dunlop lists the SP40 A/S on their website so I guess that replaces the 37s.

Anyway I read all the information on the tire. Well for one I was wrong about one measurement (width?); it's 65, not 60. Anyway here are the stats:

Max pressure: 44 PSI
Max load: 1279 lbs
Treadwear rating: 320
Traction rating: A
Temperature rating: B
How very strange that we got different tires considering that our cars were probably shipmates!

Anyone know what the difference is between traction "A" and "B"? Or the treadwear difference?

Old 11-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Reynolds:

___I saw the reference to the 06 HCH-II’s Atkinson cycle on Honda news although they called it something else with a late closing intake to minimize pumping losses IIRC? I haven’t heard of anything described like that except for an Atkinson cycle intake. Lean-burn takes a lean-burn catalyst and supposedly the PZEV’s cannot use the cycle given the higher NOx emissions. I have never seen reference to Lean-burn in the HCH-II although I have no doubt Honda is running the HCH-II’s F/A mixture a bit on the lean side because they know what they are doing Never mind, I see it was the Civic 1.8 L with Atkinsonized intake
To achieve more performance and more fuel economy, the Civic's 1.8-liter i-VTEC engine uses an innovative and new valve control timing to minimize pumping losses during cruising and low engine load situations, an important factor in creating more efficient engines. Pumping losses are lowered when the variable valve timing allows an intake valve to remain open for a brief time period as the piston begins its compression stroke. By keeping an intake valve open during part of the compression stroke, some of the volume of unburned air/fuel mixture in the cylinder moves back inside the intake manifold and lowers the volume being compressed, or "pumped."

The pumping loss reduction yields enhanced fuel economy similar to an engine with a smaller displacement (the equivalent of a 1.5-liter engine) during cruising.

During cruising or other stable, low-load driving conditions, the new engine utilizes a dedicated set of cams to close one of the intake valves and retard that valve's timing, exerting backpressure on the air-fuel mixture.

This reduces the actual intake air volume. Meanwhile, the throttle is opened wider to provide optimum control over engine output.

Opening the throttle valve, in other words, widening the path that the air flows through - reduces pumping losses to result in a significant improvement in engine efficiency.
___NASAgineer, the HCH-I had both Dunlop’s and Bridgestone’s (one was 44 and the other 51 #’s max sidewall) so having 2 different tire brands is std OP’s in my book. 44 #’s is max sidewall, burst will be in the 125 + # range, and 50 + will get you the lowest possible rolling resistance you can achieve from those tires. Longest life as well … Your beads are seated now so pump them up to a min of 44 and if it were mine, I would be running 55 #’s myself given their lower profile nature. Mobil1 0W20 is better then the Dino 0W-20 you can get from your Honda dealer. The Honda stuff is supposedly not PAO 4 even though Exxon supposedly makes it?

___Thank you NASAgineer and CGameProgrammer for the tire specs.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Last edited by xcel; 11-21-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:49 PM

Hey Wayne, since you seem to know alot about this, can you explain why it's OK to inflate beyond the official maximum pressure? And this is a dumb question but I assume that max pressure is cold, right? So it's OK to pump at 44 and have it expand when hot to 50?

In any case, I think I'm going to pump to 42/40.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:55 PM

Hi CGameProgrammer:

___1. Because the burst ratings are so far above max sidewall cold 2. Millions of miles by running 50 + #’s on the Bridgestone RE92’s found on every Insight 3. Tire wear will decrease overall 4. Until you do, you will never experience what your HCH-II is really worth I know the FEH pilots see EV mode come about at much higher speeds at 42 - 50 + #’s vs. running on mush at 32 - 34 #’s. Caveat’s apply but if it were my HCH-I or II, 50 #’s would be the minimum she would ever reside at.

___Every 10 degrees F increase from cold will give you another 1 # increase in tire pressure.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-22-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by xcel

___1. Because the burst ratings are so far above max sidewall cold 2. Millions of miles by running 50 + #’s on the Bridgestone RE92’s found on every Insight 3. Tire wear will decrease overall 4. Until you do, you will never experience what your HCH-II is really worth I know the FEH pilots see EV mode come about at much higher speeds at 42 - 50 + #’s vs. running on mush at 32 - 34 #’s. Caveat’s apply but if it were my HCH-I or II, 50 #’s would be the minimum she would ever reside at.
How does the added tire pressure affect braking distance?

Old 11-22-2005, 10:41 AM

I'm running my 2004 HCH at 58 PSI here in Phoenix AZ....Have never had to make an emergency stop in any vehicle, so braking distance - well, less rubber on the road logically means farther to brake - no way to know how much without testing I guess....

Old 11-22-2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
I'm running my 2004 HCH at 58 PSI here in Phoenix AZ....Have never had to make an emergency stop in any vehicle, so braking distance - well, less rubber on the road logically means farther to brake - no way to know how much without testing I guess....
That's exactly the issue. I suspect the same - that it takes longer to brake when tires are over inflated. Is it worth saving a few MPG and increasing the risk of an accident?

I'm sure there have been tests of the effect of tire pressure on braking. I haven't seen them.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:22 AM

It's worth it to me because my commute is almost all City driving, and I hardly ever exceed 44 miles per hour.

The surety of saving some money on over-inflated tires FAR FAR FAR exceeds the slight chance of the unlikely needing to E-Stop and losing a few feet. Civic is a very safe car - if I slide into someone, I'm going to come out pretty well, or not. If it's my time to go, I'll be gone....

I don't plan my life around worrying about having a car accident, but I *DO* plan my life with the intent of milking every penny of gas savings out of my HCH.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
It's worth it to me because my commute is almost all City driving, and I hardly ever exceed 44 miles per hour.

The surety of saving some money on over-inflated tires FAR FAR FAR exceeds the slight chance of the unlikely needing to E-Stop and losing a few feet. Civic is a very safe car - if I slide into someone, I'm going to come out pretty well, or not. If it's my time to go, I'll be gone....

I don't plan my life around worrying about having a car accident, but I *DO* plan my life with the intent of milking every penny of gas savings out of my HCH.
Sounds to me like penny wise and pound foolish.

Here's one opinion I found:
http://www.metallurgist.com/html/tire_pressure.html

Old 11-22-2005, 11:50 AM

I know all the literature, I've read it all before. Wayne G. convinced me that running them higher is not a problem, and he has thousands of miles in multiple vehicles with no problems, and I myself have 15K+ on this vehicle with no problems.....My last post before this really explains my situation properly and completely....

Quick Reply: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands