EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Hi NASAgineer:
Originally Posted by NASAgineer
Since you are not using assist on the pulse, and not using regen on the glide, it seems like you are essentially 'turning off' all of the hybrid features of the car. I mean, you could use this technique to get great mileage on any car, the hybrid just makes it easier to turn off fuel in the glide. In my 99 Accord MT, I can do it by popping into neutral and turning off the key. How does the fact that it's a hybrid help the mileage?
___As you stated above, your hybrid has much smaller displacement ICE and a slightly atkinsonized intake. New for 06 Use the hybrid qualities when you need them. Faster accelerations for lane merges and regen for the times you have to get into the binders (only when needed however). The pack itself charges your 12V through a drop down Inverter-Rectifier of some sort so it is not like it’s not in use much of the time. I am not sure how Assist is programmed in your HCH-II but I hope it is not right from the bottom like the Insight’s and HCH-I’s (it was tough to keep it at bay in them) but more like the AH, only when you need it with a healthy dose of throttle input. This is the way IMA assist should be designed and I hope Honda learned something here. FAS’ in your 99 MT Accord does the same thing but you have a lot of unwanted actions to perform this vs. simply using your accelerator pedal as you would in a Prius II, FEH, and now your 06 by the sounds of it It is really great to hear about that small touch of throttle in a coast down from higher speeds to enter into Fuel cut w/out regen. This is the HCH-II’s real advance in design as long as everybody else can duplicate it in theirs. Please keep us informed about your progress and experimentation. Everything you have written so far goes along with what I believe the core IMA team at Honda would do given the constraint of IMA being locked to the ICE. HS-P&G results as well as steady 53 mph on the flats with little to no wind is what I will be waiting to hear from you next

___CGameProgrammer, the gas consumed to bring your SoC back up after assist comes into the equation as well. In terms of pack longevity, each cycle, no matter how small, is one less cycle you have available at End Of Life. That end of life might be just 100,000 miles for someone riding the thing all the time or 400,000 miles for someone just using it when its actually needed. Who knows what the answer to that question is? The less you use it, the better for the pack. It is not so much a 2 - 4 bar Assist/Regen regimen with their relatively low current flows but the max assist/regen or cycling the pack from 2 bars to 20 bars repetitively that can do her in. You really want to avoid heavy pack use scenarios if at all possible.

Originally Posted by ElanC
Right, technically it's better not to use regen. We are approaching this discussion from different viewpoints. You're thinking like a hypermiler who only cares about maximizing FE, whatever it takes. I would rather drive a vehicle normally, without jumping through hoops for the next 1/2 MPG.
___ElanC, there is a lot more then just the next ½ mpg available here.

As I wrote, for those who prefer to drive the EV without regen the feature can be turned off at the click of a button. It's a mistake to drive with regen for a hypermiler. I usually prefer to use regen not because I think it's more energy efficient but because I prefer that driving experience. When I happen to drive down a long downslope in which the car can coast at exactly the speed I want, I turn off regen.
___Exactly! You have to add user input by throwing a switch to achieve maximum FE (range in your EV) when the car could have been designed for it in the first place! It doesn’t matter that Toyota, Honda, and Ford designs Regen as a quasi ICE braking scheme but it is wrong to do so for FE reasons.

We could have a better discussion if you didn't inject personal insults every once in a while.
___Because you did not have any idea as to what I was talking about in regards to hybrid design with the statement: “There is so much demand for these "improperly designed" cars that three year old used cars are selling for more than their original purchase price.” Do you now?

___Philmcneal, Regen isn’t bad but it should only be invoked when necessary. Coming down a hill when you would have to use the friction brakes, use regen. Coming to an actual stop from speed when a light changed or traffic conditions changed so as to not allow you a much longer glide, use regen. It is grabbing Regen instead of a much longer glide where the crossover point is. Regen does not convert your hybrids kinetic into chemical energy at anywhere near 100% efficiency. Use Regen when you have too just as when you need assist but do not use it ***** nilly. Your overall FE in the real world may actually be less because of it depending on where and when you decide to use it.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Last edited by xcel; 11-20-2005 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal
this hypermiler **** is too complicated! why can't i just feather the pedal and get high mileage?
I think you can. I've been trying some of the hypermiler techniques discussed in these forums, and gotten trip mileages right around 50MPG. I've also done several freeway trips at 60-65MPH where I just set the cruise control, and also gotten right around 50. So far, I haven't been able to outsmart the car Of the roughly 200 miles that I have put on my 06HCH so far, half are freeway cruise control (60-65), and half are city/highway where I was trying hypermiler techniques. The tank average is 49. So far, I haven't been able to outsmart the car

I'm sure an experienced hypermiler could do better than I have, but the bottom line is that simply using cruise control and keeping your speed down will also give you great mileage. This thread is more about pushing the envelope.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:18 AM

Thanks for all the great info, Wayne! I'm really having fun learning how this technology works.

Originally Posted by xcel
I am not sure how Assist is programmed in your HCH-II but I hope it is not right from the bottom like the Insight’s and HCH-I’s (it was tough to keep it at bay in them) but more like the AH, only when you need it with a healthy dose of throttle input.
I'm afraid you might be dissapointed there. After a bit of practice, I have been able to accelerate without any assist, but it is hard to do, and the rate of acceleration is S-L-O-W.

I did some P&G experiments yesterday and I found that I could do it as you described. No regen and no fuel flow on the glide was pretty easy to do once I got the hang of it. The hard part was pulsing w/o assist. I could do it, but it took a while to get back up to speed. Maybe I'm just impatient. Another variable complicating my tests is that I don't have any real flat areas around. Almost every stretch of road is either a gradual incline or descent, so it's hard to tell exactly what's going on. It's funny, I never really noticed it until I started driving this car. I need to go out to the central CA valley where there's miles and miles of flats.

It is really great to hear about that small touch of throttle in a coast down from higher speeds to enter into Fuel cut w/out regen. This is the HCH-II’s real advance in design as long as everybody else can duplicate it in theirs.
Another interesting thing I noticed is that it gets harder to do this as the SoC drops. The SoC gauge has 8 blocks total. Once it gets down to 4, it's really hard to cancel out that last bar of regen without the fuel flow starting back up. Below 4, I haven't been able to do it at all. 6 or above, and it's easy. I guess that's just the ECU protecting the battery.

Please keep us informed about your progress and experimentation. Everything you have written so far goes along with what I believe the core IMA team at Honda would do given the constraint of IMA being locked to the ICE. HS-P&G results as well as steady 53 mph on the flats with little to no wind is what I will be waiting to hear from you next
I've definitely seen the steady 53 on the flats, it just didn't last very long because the flats didn't last. Hills are also complicating my HS-P&G attempts. I've only been able to do a couple of P&G cycles before I get caught gliding on an uphill and have to use assist to reach the top (or let my speed drop too low).

Old 11-20-2005, 11:19 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

I think you can. I've been trying some of the hypermiler techniques discussed in these forums, and gotten trip mileages right around 50MPG. I've also done several freeway trips at 60-65MPH where I just set the cruise control, and also gotten right around 50. So far, I haven't been able to outsmart the car Of the roughly 200 miles that I have put on my 06HCH so far, half are freeway cruise control (60-65), and half are city/highway where I was trying hypermiler techniques. The tank average is 49. So far, I haven't been able to outsmart the car

I'm sure an experienced hypermiler could do better than I have, but the bottom line is that simply using cruise control and keeping your speed down will also give you great mileage. This thread is more about pushing the envelope.
Hi NASAgineer; Thanks for this most "Recent-Post" because I think and you have just said it in so many words that a person can just set the cruise control and turn on the X/M and sit back and enjoy their brand-new 06 HCH ll and not worry about all the many-many other ways to increase their FE. I am (NOT-SAYING) that for those that like to get the "Most" out of their vehicles (hybrids or Not) that they are wrong or foolish or any other negative comment concerning Hypermiling but simply to say it is really nice to read that you can set your cruise at say 65 MPH and the HCH ll will take care of the rest and you can concentrate on (Driving-Safely) in this over-whelming Bumper to Bumper Traffic and Semi-Trucks right on your Rear-End.

Thanks for your "Post"

Terry

Old 11-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Philmcneal:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
This hypermiler $*&# is too complicated! Why can't i just feather the pedal and get high mileage? and make most of your stopping distance to absorb all the energy from go to standstill isn't that enough?
___Read NASAgineer’s description of a coast w/out regen. As I understand it, it is a simple feather of the throttle. Let off to get you into Fuel cut and add a touch to get you out of regen with fuel cut still invoked. No key off/on, no swinging of the tranny from D to N to D, no watching of the tach, nothing. It is simply a straight forward accelerator feather just as it is in the Prius II. Escape HEV w/ a quick D to L and then to D if you want a similar result …

___NASAgineer, do not forget to tell us about real world EV/Glide mode distances from a given high SoC to a low one in the HCH’s Fuel Cut/EV mode, HS P&G FE, and steady cruise 53 mph like FE. That last one is going to make or break the 06 HCH-II vs. the HCH-I for some slow speed highway pilots given a well setup HCH-I can run in lean-burn with the instantaneous camped at 80 + mpg while at extremely low load.

___As an edit, I am typing these posts up slower then the posts are coming in. Thanks for the detailed FE analysis on your HCH-II so far NASAngineer.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Last edited by xcel; 11-20-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hi NASAgineer; Thanks for this most "Recent-Post" because I think and you have just said it in so many words that a person can just set the cruise control and turn on the X/M and sit back and enjoy their brand-new 06 HCH ll and not worry about all the many-many other ways to increase their FE. I am (NOT-SAYING) that for those that like to get the "Most" out of their vehicles (hybrids or Not) that they are wrong or foolish or any other negative comment concerning Hypermiling but simply to say it is really nice to read that you can set your cruise at say 65 MPH and the HCH ll will take care of the rest and you can concentrate on (Driving-Safely) in this over-whelming Bumper to Bumper Traffic and Semi-Trucks right on your Rear-End.

Thanks for your "Post"

Terry
Exactly! I'm really happy it's this way too, because I don't see myself as having the patience to be a full-time hypermiler. Many times I just want to listen to the radio (I'm a news/talk junkie and a baseball & hockey fan) and let the car drive itself, so it's nice to know that it can do so well.

BTW, I graduated high school from Overton HS in Nashville. Franklin was our arch-rival in football if I remember correctly (I was in the marching band, so I had to go to every game).

Old 11-20-2005, 11:41 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Exactly! I'm really happy it's this way too, because I don't see myself as having the patience to be a full-time hypermiler. Many times I just want to listen to the radio (I'm a news/talk junkie and a baseball & hockey fan) and let the car drive itself, so it's nice to know that it can do so well.

BTW, I graduated high school from Overton HS in Nashville. Franklin was our arch-rival in football if I remember correctly (I was in the marching band, so I had to go to every game).
Small-World Is-It-Not ? and sometimes you meet the Nicest People:

Later;

Terry

BTW; I am from Frankfort, Ky.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
BTW; I am from Frankfort, Ky.
Ahh, your location tag on your posts says 'Franklin, Tennessee'. Did you move?

Old 11-20-2005, 12:01 PM
G.H. Contributor
Talking Re: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Ahh, your location tag on your posts says 'Franklin, Tennessee'. Did you move?
Sorry for the confusion. Maybe I should have said that I was transferred to Nashville, Tn. from Lexington, Ky. with IBM (Senior-Customer-Engineer) OPD (Office-Products-Division). I now live in Franklin, Tn. and have for the past 18 Yrs. I am actually from Frankfort, Ky. and as I was just saying moved to Lexington, Ky. while working for IBM. Hope this clears this address thing up a little.

IBM (I've-Been-Moved)

Terry

Old 11-20-2005, 07:42 PM

I found some flatter terrain to do some more EV testing today. I found that I wasn't able to maintain a constant speed using assist only (no fuel flow) on the flats. With 4 bars of assist @ 50MPH, speed would bleed off at about 1MPH per every 2 seconds. At 30MPH, speed would bleed off at 1MPH/4-5 seconds.

Note that this terrain was still not completely flat, so these numbers are probably skewed a bit from what they would be if it was completely flat, but it looks like the DC motor just does not produce enough power to hold speed by itself. Maybe it would at full assist, but the ECU won't give me more than 4 bars (out of 12) before the ICE starts firing again. The assist was, however, extending my glides significantly.

I'd be very interested to see what an experienced P&G hypermiler can do with this car.

Quick Reply: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands