Battery(?) Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Battery(?) Problem

Here is my situation:

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. 85,000 miles.

The hybrid battery pack was replaced 6 months ago. The 12v "small" battery was replaced in April, 2011.

The car barely starts.

A week ago, the trouble started. One morning, it just wouldn't start. I "jumped" it, and it started just fine. Drove it for 1/2 hour. I parked it, turned it off, and immediately turned it back "on". It wouldn't start.

I took it to a repair shop. They charged the 12v battery. They tested the 12v battery. It tested fine. It held a charge. They tested the charging system. It worked fine.

Over the past few days, it has BARELY started. Here's what happens:

1. Turn the key
2. The "instant start" (off of the IMA?) isn't there, but a starter kicks in (back up?). After a few clicks and about 10 seconds of faster and faster "clicks", the engine starts up. Sometimes, it won't start after 10 seconds, I turn the key off, then back on, then the "instant start" kicks in and it starts fine.
3. I drive it around for 1/2 hour, park it, and it has the same trouble. i.e. it can't seem to hold a charge.

Sounds like a 12v battery problem, but it's only 1 year old and the shop said it tested fine. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Last edited by Colorado Hybrid; 10-29-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery(?) Problem

I've had those troubles with my 2004 Civic Hybrid for years. I've gone thru so many 12v batteries, and routinely carry a jump-starter booster.

I buy a new battery and it'll start pretty well for about 9 months or so, then start needing jumps, until I get too frustrated and get another new one. Given a jump, it starts and quietly purrs along.

I've taken it to 2 different Honda dealers, and they cheerfully inform me that everything is fine. So frustrating -- feels like they're deliberately being stupid. I just want a solution.

I have superstitions that it's getting drained by the electric fan that cools the motor after you turn it off. But I've had it with a dead battery while stopping just long enough to refuel during a day-long drive. Also, it'll be so dead just settin in the parking lot for a day of work that the radio resets its security code. It's my 4th Honda, and I liked the first 3 very much, but this one has been a huge hassle.

The Honda shops have been clueless, but I don't know where else to take it.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Maybe an electrical short of some sort?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Maybe an electrical short of some sort?
It almost seems that way, that there's something that drains the battery all the time. However, I have gone for months without having to jump it, altho I'm now jumping it twice a day.

Mine has symptoms similar to Colorado Hybrid's, but I have to say it really is intermittent.