Problem with A/C and HV Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Problem with A/C and HV Battery

Its been very hot here in fresno cali was 109 last week and my wife said the a/c isnt working very well. I drove it to pickup my son and noticed the lack of power and not regen. its much cooler now and the Assist is working. I think its a problem with the A/C. I bought a couple of cans to put in and they both went in. it was hot and the pressure was high in the yellow on the gauge but the air did get cooler so I figure it was just low on freon. it shows 41oz total and i put in roughly 30-33oz.. now the wife takes it to work and calls me saying it made a wierd noise like air blowing out. found out this morning that the air sound was freon coming out. is there ablow off valve somewhere to releave pressure when its too high. it looks as if its around the compressor most. I am starting to wonder if the compressor is just not working properly and it was already full. will it take more freon if its already full? I didnt find any signs of a leak prior to adding more freon. I may just take it to a shop to have the a/c system checked but dont have alot of funds right now. I can install a new compressor my self as I have mechanical skills just not sure of what the symptoms are and what to look for. like I said it works, the compressor does come on but the air is not as cold as it used to be, just barely cool. any help or insite would be appriciated.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Problem with A/C and HV Battery

Many modern A/C systems have a fusible link, internal pressure release, that "dumps" the high pressure side if pressure rises too high. On teh other hand with that level of (presumptive) refrigerant overcharge the compressor may be slugging, liquid at the low pressure inlet, and is not long for this world.

Never add refrigernat BLINDLY.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

not sure exactly what you mean. Fusible link?? the compressor is still working fine visually, its not doing it anymore. where are the common places that leaks develop?
I forgot to mention that this is a 2005 FEH with 89000 miles on it. also if the freon is full would it take more?

Old 08-29-2010, 06:56 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
Many modern A/C systems have a fusible link, internal pressure release, that "dumps" the high pressure side if pressure rises too high. On teh other hand with that level of (presumptive) refrigerant overcharge the compressor may be slugging, liquid at the low pressure inlet, and is not long for this world.

Never add refrigernat BLINDLY.
A relief valve? I don't think so, most have a high pressure switch and a low pressure switch also.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

I know on some of the older r-12 systems there was a safety relief valve but once it went you had to get a new one. on the FEH it was releasing every once in a while. it seems to have stopped doing it. I need to get a set of gauges so I can check both high and low sides.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

As you said it is designed to hold a certain amount, It is never really "full" as half the system is gaseous and half liquid to work. If it was dumping refridgerant enough to here it You would probably notice oil that came out with it.
Look around the systm for wet spots, the lines go back to the battery compartment to provide cooling.
Pull a vacuum ( or have it done) and see if it holds. If it does put in the proper amonut of r134. I think someone said Autozone has vacuum pumps you can borrow.
If the compressor went out I think the system needs to be flushed

Old 08-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I know its comming out near the compressor cause I can see the oil all over that area. that is why I was wondering if there is some sort of safety pressure relief that is popping off when the pressure is too high. before putting in the freon I could not find any leaks visually. I think I am going to try and get it diagnosed at a A/C shop.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
I know its comming out near the compressor cause I can see the oil all over that area. that is why I was wondering if there is some sort of safety pressure relief that is popping off when the pressure is too high. before putting in the freon I could not find any leaks visually. I think I am going to try and get it diagnosed at a A/C shop.
Sounds like the compressor shaft seal, my '05 went earlier this year and the dealership wanted over $1,200 to replace the compressor. Got them down to a little over $1,000 which included tax. Ice cold A/C now and that loud click when the compressor clutch kicks On is gone.

GaryG

Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Imported from Detroit

The compressors uses a ceramic seal. If you live in colder climates, try to cycle the AC ON even during cold weather as it keeps the polished surfaces a bit moist and adds to the life of the seal.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok I purchased a set of A/C gauges and I let out some freon since i put in some, Low pressure is still too high and the high side pressure is 2 low so from what I am reading that means that the compressor is not working as well as it should. Does anyone know if the compressor for the hybrid is the same as the one for the standard 2.3l engine??

Quick Reply: Problem with A/C and HV Battery

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands