Problem with A/C and HV Battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: Problem with A/C and HV Battery

Originally Posted by wptski
The compressors uses a ceramic seal. If you live in colder climates, try to cycle the AC ON even during cold weather as it keeps the polished surfaces a bit moist and adds to the life of the seal.
The 2005 FEH is programmed to turn the A/C compressor for 0.5 seconds at every start up. I have field verified this does occur in mine. It probably does this in all model years.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Problem with A/C and HV Battery

yea I am pretty sure that the compressor on the Hybrid is used more than a standard escape because it uses it to cool the HV battery.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

well I ordered the compressor and acummulateor from autozone and both are the wrong parts. now that I know I have been searching and havent been able to find much , looks like may be a dealer item. so I am off to the dealers today do see what its gona cost for the compressor.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
The 2005 FEH is programmed to turn the A/C compressor for 0.5 seconds at every start up. I have field verified this does occur in mine. It probably does this in all model years.
That isn't enough time to lubercate the seal. Is that when the vehicle is first started or every time the ICE is cycled ON?

How did you measure that 500ms of ON time?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 PM

It is every time the vehicle is started with the key.
It is in the service manual. Probably not unique to the hybrid.
Something about needing to pump liquid freon out that might have condensed.
Years ago, I connected a red LED to the A/C clutch wire so I know when the battery is calling for freon. ( quite often I might add )

It might go on longer than 0.5 sec but it's not very long and I'd say for sure less than 3 seconds.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Imported from Detroit

Years ago, I connected a red LED to the A/C clutch wire so I know when the battery is calling for freon. ( quite often I might add )

It might go on longer than 0.5 sec but it's not very long and I'd say for sure less than 3 seconds.
I couldn't find anything in the manual's A/C section about this other than the A/C field coil relay is PCM controlled. Unless it's mentioned elsewhere, I'm unsure. The only manual that is different for the FEH is the wiring diagrams.

I might just connect a scope and a current probe to the fuse on mine unless I find the answer in the manual somewhere.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yea I am sure that the battery creates enough heat to call for cooling, not sure how cold it would have to be outside to not need the a/c compressor to cool. I went to the dealer and got the correct part numbers so I can search online, parts from the dealer would be 720.00 alone. cant afford that so gotta find them cheaper else where. I have found a couple of used compressors on Ebay for 150.00 that came out of wrecked hybrids. not sure I want to go that route yet but it may be if I dont find something cheaper.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:46 AM

What Ford didn't do that irritates me is integrate an outside temperature probe. With Denver's high altitude and thin air, we have wide temperature swings from day to night. Today is a good example, 95 degrees day, 45 degrees night.

Parking all day, the battery pack can be over the limit of 86 degrees before turning the key on. But I can turn the key on in the evening with temps. in the 50's and the A/C still runs, just for the battery.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Imported from Detroit

The A/C clutch doesn't engage at start up on a '09 FE but if switched ON, it draws around 3A.

What manual did you see that in and where? The electrical diagrams are the only different book for the FEH.

Last edited by wptski; 09-07-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 PM

I have the HELMS 2005 workshop manual on CD-Rom.

Quick Reply: Problem with A/C and HV Battery

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands