Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

I mailed mine out the 11th, and my check still hasn't cashed or anything....

Sniff sniff

Old 02-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast

I'm about 3 weeks away from the Prius I ordered arriving and am getting nervous about the stickers running out! It looks like some of you have been able to submit the application with just the VIN, and not the license plate numbers. Has anyone had success in getting the full VIN from the dealer before delivery and submitting the paperwork that much earlier?

Old 02-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisamc
I'm about 3 weeks away from the Prius I ordered arriving and am getting nervous about the stickers running out! It looks like some of you have been able to submit the application with just the VIN, and not the license plate numbers. Has anyone had success in getting the full VIN from the dealer before delivery and submitting the paperwork that much earlier?
I dont think that will work. Appyling without plates, with the VIN only will work if the DMV already has the paperwork started or a lead (submited by the dealer) regarding registration of the car... that means, a name, address...

VIN only means a car only.... I may be wrong on this thou... Worth a try anyway, you'll lose just 37c because I'm sure they wont cash the $8 check if they can't issue the stickers.

BUT.. with the 75k stickers cap, you are safe.... 3 weeks = 5-6k stickers only... another 3 weeks, another 5-6k. So, if we are at 45k now, If you are folowing the normal timeframe, you'll get stickers close to 60k... no problem.. I believe.... I would rest assured...

I wonder what will be the feeling of the dude/dudette which will get sticker # 75,000 ... hehehehe

Old 02-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

thanks for your advice! you're right it's worth a try, but it does look like I'll make the 75K cap. However I've heard recently in the news that they may stop issuing at 50K and allow Caltrans to investigate the impact the stickers are having on the HOV lanes, know anything about this? I guess that's why I'm thinking there may really only be about 5K stickers left?

Old 02-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure how much good that would do in terms of getting your stickers ASAP.
I think they must also get the registration info from the dealer before they issue the stickers.
Afterall that is proof that a qualifying hybrid really does belong to you.
Otherwise anybody could just fill out an application, mail a check and get a sticker.

Still, it couldn't hurt mailing the application as early as possible.
Even if they don't get the registration forms from the dealer for a while it MAY secure your place in line.
Since we are near the 50,000 and the 75,000 limits, it may make the difference between getting or not getting you sticker.

Originally Posted by lisamc

Old 02-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Never heard anything in the news anything regarding the Hybrids... not anything about the stickers. But, I dont watch any newz so, thats no surprise...

Someone on this thread said that the 50k cap is a myth coming from the not understanding the HOV laws... or similar...

if the 50k cap is real... I'm woried... I sent the application a week ago... abviously the plates dident reached me...

can't anyone who really knows what's the cap on stickers? 50k? 75k?

Old 02-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok... I went to DMV Website and the law is there...

this is what we are interested in:

(g) (1) For purposes of subdivision (a), the department shall issue no more than 75,000 distinctive decals, labels, or other identifiers that clearly distinguish the vehicles specified in paragraphs (3) and (4) of subdivision (a).

(2) The department shall notify the Department of Transportation immediately after the date on which the department has issued 50,000 decals, labels, and other identifiers under this section for the vehicles described in paragraphs (3) and (4) of subdivision (a).

(3) The Department of Transportation shall determine whether significant high-occupancy vehicle lane breakdown has occurred throughout the state, in accordance with the following timeline:

(A) For lanes that are nearing capacity, the Department of Transportation shall make the determination not later than 90 days after the date provided by the department under paragraph (2).

(B) For lanes that are not nearing capacity, the Department of Transportation shall make the determination not later than 180 days after the date provided by the department under paragraph (2).

So, it's clear... 50k stickers, then an analyze of the situation will be done, no stickers until the resolution... resolution if the HOV lines are packed or not I asume...

If they will resume means HOV not that packed... will continue to issue another 25K...

In this pace, We can expect the stickers to last for a couple of weeks only.... hmmm. I just hope I'll get mine....

Old 02-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Razorx

Thanks for researching this! Though, nothing states that issuance of decals will stop at 50,000. Only that notification will be provided to the Department of Transportation at that point in time. If no stickers until resolution, it is noted somewhere else or left to the discretion of someone responsible.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

it may be different for different areas... 50k is blind... everybody who applyied will get those, no matter where you are. after that, they may be issued by a local condition basis... dunno, this is just my speculation and a way to interpret the law...

obvious they know the situation of traffic even on the hov lanes, because computer monitor those. so, when they will find out that the hov lane speed is slower that the normal lane, in the same conditions (no special conditions like accidents or etc) they will stop granting more access on those lanes for hybrids.

will wait and see what happenes soon. in this pace, the 75k stickers will be xhausted in less than 5 months.

yes, they wont stop at 50k... only for that amount of days stated in the law. fater that I asume they will resume sending stickers... hope so... fingers crossed.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by mexiken
CProgrammer,
You do realize the law is set to expire in 2007 or 8 (can't remember which one) if its not extended right ???? You would need to sell your car well before then for it to warrant the price increase justification.
It's set to expire on July 1st 2008 unless extended, which is 2.5 years from now. And I am considering trading in for the Camry Hybrid because I like Toyota's tech better than Honda's, I just don't like the Prius itself very much.

Quick Reply: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands