Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default What about commercial vehicles in HOV lanes?

Good input. I'm seeing a lot more stickers than I did say 5 months ago. Unfortunately, I suspect there has to be some measurable impact, although this is only anecdotal / editorializing.

One observation from me is that what REALLY clogs up lanes are commercial or 'semi-commercial' vehicles such as pickups with lawn mowers in them, etc.

Are there ANY restrictions barring commercial vehicles (large, slow trucks) from clogging the lanes?

Thanks in advance!

Lansing

Originally Posted by ElanC
I believe they will continue issuing stickers while doing the review. If the review, which must be completed in 90 days or less (hey, they might do it in two days), finds that there is a negative impact on the HOV lanes THEN they will stop issuing stickers.

From my personal observations, hybrids with stickers in the HOV lanes are few and far between. They barely have an impact. I bet they will go all the way to 75,000.

A couple of other observations -
They forced Bay Area hybrid owners to get Fastrak transponders before applying for stickers. The theory is that hybrids can cross the bridges in the HOV lane but they are not exempt from the toll. So the only way to collect a toll from a vehicle in the HOV lane, without stopping it, is to use Fastrak. But they haven't installed the collection devices in the HOV lanes on the bridges. My transponder has never beeped, and I have never been charged the toll, while using the HOV lane with my hybrid.

Speaking of congestion, the MTC's eagerness to promote Fastrak as a cost saving tool on the bridges has turned into a disaster on the Bay Bridge. They added two more Fastrak lanes a couple of weeks ago. This means that there are 20% fewer regular toll booths into which all the non-Fastrak vehicles have to cram. The result is a mile long backup behind the toll plaza, especially on weekends when more occasional (non Fastrak using) drivers cross the bridge. This penalizes everyone including Fastrak users who get stuck in the backup. After suffering through the backup today, I finally got to the Fastrak lane, sped through, and got to the bridge itself where traffic was as light as it typically is at 2AM.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Good news for those who haven't gotten stickers yet:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...ntent=sjm_news

Anxious hybrid car owners wanting a green light to zip along solo in the carpool lane, relax. Those coveted yellow stickers are still available, and probably will be for several more months.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Latest info:

Nearly 50,000 owners of hybrid cars have applied for stickers allowing them to drive solo in state carpool lanes. But Caltrans isn't expected to end the pilot program at that level unless diamond lanes are becoming congested. The sticker program will be cut off when 75,000 stickers have been issued, which should happen late this summer.

CATEGORY NUMBER*
Applications 48,613
Stickers mailed 44,957
Being processed 1,721
Rejected(dgr) 1,715
Not qualified 220

* As of Feb. 9.

(dgr) Some rejected for paperwork errors and are expected to reapply.

Source: Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 02-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

CORRECTION ON MY STICKER NUMBER.

Sorry, but my stickers were actually low 48xxx, not 49xxx.

Realized it when I actually put them on this weekend.

Timeline

Jan 18: Mailed application to DMV
Feb 6: Check cleared
Feb 10: Received stickers

Old 02-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

My spouse just reported seeing 2 parking enforcement patrol cars with the yellow stickers here in Los Angeles this morning. They were the white HCHs, either '04 or '05s. I didn't realize the stickers were also being issued to gov't or city cars. I'm not sure why these cars would be on the freeways that much anyway.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I see hope now...

thanx guys for those links. The Mercury Article was pretty good for me... but i'll keep my fingers crossed until I get my stickers....

The funny part was that article reffers to a Nancy Babcock lady... that's a client of mine, but she doesent have a Prius.. she has a BMW Must be another one...

Old 02-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

HOV Sticker Update:

Mailed in 15 Jan
Check cashed 2 Feb
Sticker received 9 Feb
Sticker # 48,3xx

I'm so happy I made the cut off.

Also, off topic, my HCH seems to be getting 1-2 mpg better per tank. I can only think the car is loosening up and I am becoming a better P&G driver.

-rick

Old 02-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Anyone else notice the % of HOV cheaters compared to hyrids is greater? I wonder how we can convince Sacramento to push CHP to patrol our freeway systems?

Old 02-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Originally Posted by rcassoni
Also, off topic, my HCH seems to be getting 1-2 mpg better per tank. I can only think the car is loosening up and I am becoming a better P&G driver.-rick
Rick, that is probably because it's been freakin' HOT in So. Cal the last week. Warmer temps = better mpg.

And, yes, everyone -- I mean in the 90's -- no bulsh.

Don

Old 02-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

warmer temp = Air conditioning also...

Quick Reply: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands