HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My newest HCH-II Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My newest HCH-II Mods

I was driving with my old horn and when I honked it my passenger didn't know what the sound was. If people don't know that your honking, I would say the horn isn't doing what its supposed to do.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:58 AM

Why would Honda use it , if it can't be heard? Its just a horn. Most of us don't like being honked at, so why not really **** them off!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

I'm way there with the "that's a horn?" camp. This is a horn made for the British countryside.

I'd be on the Hella in an instant except I really don't like the idea of pulling off the entire front clip of my car, which I saw demo'd in one thread. Any other way to change out the horn?

Cheers --
Doug

Old 09-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

JRCaesar, I live in LA also and in desperate need of upgrade horns. If you don't mind me asking...where did you buy the horns and who did you get to do the install?

I am coming up on another A1 service in the next week or two...would a Honda dealership install the horns?

Old 09-08-2007, 08:31 AM

The only way to change the horn is by taking off the bumper. It is really really easy. I used to have a ford and it was a pain to take any little part of that car apart. All you do for the HCHII is take out a couple of screws and a bunch of little clips. It takes about 5 minutes to do.

I'm not sure if a dealership would install the horns for you. If they do, they will probably overcharge you. If you do not want to do it yourself, take it to a mechanic.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Taking the front bumper cover off is easy

Originally Posted by Orient Express
The horn power line connector is just the hot line, so you will need to make a little wiring harness that has a ground line with a grommet connector for the return line. I just attached it to the bolt that holds the horn brackets on. The hot line for the horns is off a relay, and has more than enough amperage to support the 2 replacement horns. No need to wire a separate relay and power line directly to the battery.

I installed the horns this weekend. I did not cut the OEM connector off, rather I modified it so that if I need to I can just reinstall the old horn. Was your hot wire in the range of 18 to 22 gauge wire?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

yes, I believe that it is 18 gauge.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

First of all, thanks for posting the info & links!

I'm not intending to be a pest, but I've got another question; you're pulling two hot leads off of it to power the horns? And that doesn't draw too much current through the OEM wire or fuse? No melted insulation or blown fuses? It just looks tiny to me to power the horns and that may be because the horns are red....
Ok, that was three.....

The horns work; I just worry about things like this.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

The horns are wired in parallel and the current draw is about the same as the single stock horn. There have been no issues with this mod.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the pictures and guide, Orient Express. I had some audio components installed today and they also handled the hella horn install too.

On the way home, I had no need to use the horn...not even once. I am a little disappointed.

Quick Reply: My newest HCH-II Mods

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands