HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

MY DIY HID headlight install

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: MY DIY HID headlight install

Originally Posted by Orient Express
What I was asking is if your ballast cases are securely bolted to the body of the car, and not just zip-tied in place.

Thanks....My set didnt come with a mounting bracket so i guess i might have to solder some washers on the back of the ballast to create a mounting kit..unless anyone else has a better idea?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Double enthusiast

I'd be careful about soldering anything to the case. You'll have to get it HOT, and possibly damage something inside the ballast case.

Better, I think, to get some decent wire (i.e., stranded 18 gauge) and solder a spade lug of some sort onto it, and then fasten the spade lug under one of the screws on the ballast. Then, just find a convenient screw or bolt on the car frame fairly near the ballast location to do the same thing with (using the other end of the wire).
You'll have a decent ground, with no danger of frying the ballast.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Originally Posted by issawiah
Thanks....My set didnt come with a mounting bracket

Please describe how you have the ballasts fastened to the car.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I just took a chance and ordered the kit from the same ebay seller as Orient Express got his from.

Quite anxious to see the kit, will post back with some before/after comparisons

Old 01-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

Okay well my saga continues...I took out the HID kit because it caused my wifes radio to get distorted....Man there is a huge difference and i miss those lights.....My kit didn't come with a mounting bracket, it came with double sided tape....I even tried soldering a washer to a wire and connecting it to the ballast but i still cannot get a good enough ground...Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Can you post a picture (or find one) of exactly what your kit looks like? What kind of car is it? Where is the antenna on this car? Is it an OEM radio or aftermarket?

It is not the grounding that is a problem. If you didn't have a good ground through the existing power supply the headlights wouldn't work at all.

This is what I would try: I would get a clamp-on ferrite core such as this:
<http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/FB-48/235/FERRITE_SNAP_BEAD,_0.32%22#34;ID_.html>

And clamp it on one or both of the power leads (of each unit).
What you do not want to do is clamp it onto the leads that out of the ballast to the HID headlight bulb. The ferrite core should hopefully reduce any noise (especially the high frequency noise) that is being fed back into the auto electrical system.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Did you buy the same brand as I did? Klight? Those do not have the issue you are talking about and come with mounting brackets.

Also the ebay vendor would gladly swap them out if you are having problems.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Of the 3 cars I've put HID kits in, I've never had any problems with the radio or any type of interference.

I didn't get the same kit as everyone else, but instead opted to get the ultra-slim ballasts, knowing the cramped area I'd be working with anyway.

I ended up just zip-typing all the ballasts in place, and am pretty sure that I'll never any problem with it moving (I couldn't even move it by hand when I was done).

No issues thus far, so I would imagine that I'll be OK. One reason they are good (besides the added light output) is that they last like 5 times longer than the standard halogen bulbs that are stock. I don't know about you, but anything to make it so I don't have to replace the bulbs more often, is a good thing given how you have to access them.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Double enthusiast

Gary,
Well, so far so good with my HID install. It's been over a year, and I couldn't be happier with it.
Question: I have tried to replicate the install with my wife's Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I've found places for the ballast, and got the bulbs in (had to use the round rubber gasket from the original lights though) but for some reason, the lights don't work. I've double-checked the connections, and no luck.
Do you have any ideas, brainstorms, etc? I'm stumped.
Thanks for posting the thread a couple of years ago. It's been the best mod I've done (louder horn, auto-dimming mirror also).
Gary Cherry
North Georgia

Old 10-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Originally Posted by Garobill
Gary,
Well, so far so good with my HID install. It's been over a year, and I couldn't be happier with it.
Question: I have tried to replicate the install with my wife's Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I've found places for the ballast, and got the bulbs in (had to use the round rubber gasket from the original lights though) but for some reason, the lights don't work. I've double-checked the connections, and no luck.
Do you have any ideas, brainstorms, etc? I'm stumped.
Thanks for posting the thread a couple of years ago. It's been the best mod I've done (louder horn, auto-dimming mirror also).
Gary Cherry
North Georgia
I assume that you have tested the HID kit and are sure it works. If that is the case, then the most typical situation is that the supply power cable or the lamp cable are not properly seated. But if you are sure that this is not the case, then you will need to take a voltage tester to the ballast supply and make sure that you have got 12v there. If you have voltage, then the ballasts may be bad.

These are the things I would think of.

Quick Reply: MY DIY HID headlight install

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands