HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Dealers Insisting on Extra Packages?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dealers Insisting on Extra Packages?

Honda's been known for little "gotcha" tactics when they know their cars are in high demand. Of course they aren't the only ones. It seems like in CA in particular they play a few more games. Just stick to your guns and they won't want to see you walk out the door.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast

I think it's common throughout the industry for dealers to try and bump their margins wherever they can - either through encountering a customer who is susceptible to the whole range of sales pressures and tactics that are routinely applied; or else because a particular vehicle is in high demand. Sometimes that's done by directly inflating MSRP (see the recent thread of costs in the San Francisco Bay area). Sometimes it's done by adding on "mandatory" options, as in my experience with the first couple of dealers I went to. What those dealers who try to take advantage of people fail to see are the long term implications of customers who feel like they've been, well, taken advantage of. My last three vehicles before this HCH (my first Honda) were all Toyotas. All three were purchased from the same dealer - an outcome of my having felt good about each of those purchases. Likewise, the Honda dealer who was willing to sell me that new HCH at MSRP a few days ago will get first shot at my business, going forward. Even though that future economic value didn't show up anywhere in the purchase order, it's nevertheless there. Conversely, the two dealers who tried to stiff me will fail to see my face again. That's a hidden factor on their balance sheets, as well, even though they may never realize it.

Jeff

Old 07-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Regaj
Well, after sitting on the fence for the last couple of weeks regarding whether or not to buy a Civic Hybrid, I decided today to go ahead and pull the trigger. Went to a couple of local dealers for a discussion on what they had in transit, with the expectation that I'd leave a deposit for one...
I don't know if you seen it but there is a new section call The Market. In there is a dealer from Delaware selling one below MSRP. Good luck.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...msrp.8475.html