option packages

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default option packages

I'm wanting to buy a Prius due to the fact that I am driving 200 miles a day. I'm not clear on the option packages. Stage 1, stage 2, etc. can someone explain?

Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: option packages

Hi,
Originally Posted by gas guzzler
I'm wanting to buy a Prius due to the fact that I am driving 200 miles a day. I'm not clear on the option packages. Stage 1, stage 2, etc. can someone explain?
The options have more to do with creature comforts, what is found in the cabin than how to Prius performs. A more important question is what sort of driving are those 200 miles?

If the 200 miles are at high speeds, above 65 mph, you might want to consider the Honda Civic Hybrid which has a lower profile and better high speed performance. However, the Prius is a comfortable vehicle with a lot of space and excels in urban taffic and does quite fine below 70 mph.

As for the "Stages," this refers to how the Prius warms up. Without using a block heater, the Prius passes through well defined warm-up stages in which the car efficiency suffers. After warm-up, the normal hybrid mode is very efficient and delivers excellent mileage.

Just curious, what is your current ride and what sort of performance are you seeing?

Bob Wilson

Old 08-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: option packages

I think he was referring to the packages, e.g. Package 1, Package 2, 3 etc.

The packages are basically the way Toyota manufactures their cars. They do such high volume there is no custom ordering [so you couldn't get leather without getting the package that has it]. This is to produce cars at the maximum efficiency. Alot of car makers do this these days, particularly Honda and Toyota.

Package 1 is not available on the 2007 models, but will be available in the 2008s I believe. Toyota just announced it would be available, and it starts around 21k. Package 2, 4, 5, 6 and 8 are the ones available in the '07 model I believe.

They consist of a varying level of additions per package. If you need specifics, I still have my brochure at home. Otherwise, if I misunderstood your question, I apologize.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Go to toyota.com. Select Prius, and then "build your Prius" (you have to enter your postal code). There you will see the option packages with cost listed. If you place your mouse cursor over each package it will list what it includes. That is above what the base package has. Note that the packages listed are alpha (ie A, B, C, etc) but when you put the cursor on them the list includes a numeric package number. Don't know the basis for this, but everyone on the internet goes by the number.

There is conflicting information as to the 2008 pricing. One source says each package will be $150 more next year. Another says $40 less. The "stripped" base model, new for 2008, is $1200 or so less than the base this year. It has been stripped of a lot of things though, so it really isn't "cheaper", you're just buying less.

There have been reports only one touring model will be sold for 2008, the package #6, which has everything. Kind of makes sense, I guess. The reports I've read also indicates there will not be many touring model cars imported. If you want one of those, order early. The touring has a slightly stiffer suspension, slightly larger rear spoiler, and 16" wheels with lower profile tires (slightly larger). It also gets 5-10% poorer mileage than the "standard" model.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Beale
Go to toyota.com. Select Prius, and then "build your Prius" (you have to enter your postal code). There you will see the option packages with cost listed. If you place your mouse cursor over each package it will list what it includes. That is above what the base package has. Note that the packages listed are alpha (ie A, B, C, etc) but when you put the cursor on them the list includes a numeric package number. Don't know the basis for this, but everyone on the internet goes by the number.

There is conflicting information as to the 2008 pricing. One source says each package will be $150 more next year. Another says $40 less. The "stripped" base model, new for 2008, is $1200 or so less than the base this year. It has been stripped of a lot of things though, so it really isn't "cheaper", you're just buying less.

There have been reports only one touring model will be sold for 2008, the package #6, which has everything. Kind of makes sense, I guess. The reports I've read also indicates there will not be many touring model cars imported. If you want one of those, order early. The touring has a slightly stiffer suspension, slightly larger rear spoiler, and 16" wheels with lower profile tires (slightly larger). It also gets 5-10% poorer mileage than the "standard" model.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast

David, that was a huge help. Thanks, that is exactly what i needed to know! I am looking at getting a used Prius and i want to know which options are/were available. the one I was looking at is a 2006 for 19,900 and has 12,000 miles on it. It has a backup camera smart key and I'm not sure about the other stuff yet

Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

OK, but be aware the package numbers were different in each year re what they had. Things that might be important are:
VSC (vehicle stability control) - useful option, it can correct a slide and save your hide.
All models have traction control.
All models have antilock brakes.
Side airbags are an option you might want. Look for the airbag symbols on the "A" pillar and edge of the roof as well as the sides of the front seats.
HID headlamps are/were an option. They appear bluer than standard halogen lamps and take a second to so to ignite. Sometimes they flicker when you turn them on.
Leather was/is an option. If the car has leather covered steering wheel and leather seating area covers then it is "factory" leather. If the steering wheel isn't leather covered but the seats are, it could have been "port installed" leather or "dealer installed" leather.
The audio systems had/have two options - the "standard" audio system didn't have jacks for external MP3 players, the JBL system did (in the front inside of the console). The JBL system is also a six disk in-dash player.

Some differences that come to mind.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

I was looking at one earlier but it got sold and now there is one on ebay that is okay it's blue and a Prius touring. I think I can get it for 21K, it's a 2007 it's got 15K miles waddayathink?

Old 08-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Make sure it isn't a "flood car". Check under the carpet, under the seats, anywhere they wouldn't think you would look (and so didn't clean). This car is electronic, and doesn't take well to being wet! Ditto for collision damage.

There are a lot of slimy people out there!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Beale
...The touring has a slightly stiffer suspension, slightly larger rear spoiler, and 16" wheels with lower profile tires (slightly larger). It also gets 5-10% poorer mileage than the "standard" model.
Is that true? about the mileage? That's the first I'd heard that. I was planning to order a Touring this week, but if there's a mileage penalty, I'd rethink that.

Tim

Quick Reply: option packages

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands